Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roses & Quality Street 5 Euro a Tin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭gelsthe

Good price - thanks for the post... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Not sure where the EUR13 plus price comes from. I think they have intentionally inflated the price so they can knock 50% off and claim it's a bargain.

No way would they be worth EUR13.
    €13 is actually reasonable enough per kilo relative to other chocolates. But of course temporarily overinflated prices is common practise these days. As i said earlier in the 80s & early 90's these 'christmas tins' costed a fortune relative to other chocolate. I said €5 is equivalent to a mars or twix being 34cent per bar, so €13 is 2.6 times that, so equivalent to 88.4cent per bar, which is a typical price for bog standard bars.

Easter eggs have also dropped dramatically relative to regular bars. Since people have gotten used to it they are screaming ripoff.

Look on musgraves cash & carry christmas specials

http://www.musgravecashandcarry.ie/files/r12-2012/retail.pdf

roses, heroes & quality street tins are all €6.01 incl VAT
    The RRP is listed as €7.99

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Just a word of warning. It looks as if Dunnes at least is rationing the Roses at €4.99. I went into my local Dunnes and they had loads of Quality Street and Celebrations on display but they had the Cadbury Roses tins almost hidden by comparison and there was clearly only a couple of stacks of them put out.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

Joyces supervalu stores in Galway city & county are selling Roses, Quality Street, Celebrations & Heroes for €4.50.
    Since Joyces came to Tuam we're benefiting greatly from the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Same story in Tesco Carlow 2 days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Still no heroes or celebrations in tesco ballybrack, no empty shelves or anything, just none apparently ever there. Plenty of roses & quality street. They had crappy small boxes of heros for the same €5

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

rubadub wrote: »
    Still no heroes or celebrations in tesco ballybrack, no empty shelves or anything, just none apparently ever there. Plenty of roses & quality street. They had crappy small boxes of heros for the same €5

Another Tesco effort in advertising their wares only not to have them in stock:( They are forever at this sort of thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Joyces supervalu stores in Galway city & county are selling Roses, Quality Street, Celebrations & Heroes for €4.50.
    C'mon Tesco et al, price match!
    I won't be buying them till I see €2.50 a tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭daheff

I see online it shows them, but I saw none yesterday in mine.
    Cadbury Heroes Tin 800G Including Wraps
    Special OfferSAVE 8.20 Was 13.20 Now 5.00 valid from 12/11/2012 until 18/11/201

Celebrations Tub/Tin 855G Net Excluding Wraps
    Special OfferSAVE 8.20 Was 13.20 Now 5.00 valid from 12/11/2012 until 18/11/2012

I cant say I've ever seen these priced 13.20 in Tesco...stinks of taking the p*ss to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

6 euro for the big tins in Supervalu Carrigaline, loads there, celebrations, roses, heroes etc, great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭k_smash

Dunnes have tins of roses and Qs aswell for 4.99 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Celebrations replaced the Galaxy truffle with a Twix - not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭lesnol

Loads of Heroes, roses,and celebrations in Dunnes Beacon South Quarter. "Limit 2 per customer" applies and they are 4.99

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

The till operator in Dunnes stopped my purchase of 3 the other night stating only 2 per customer so wife picked up spare one and stood behind me and bought it seperately! Why bother.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I expect that the till system might flag up where limits/quotas were exceeded, and most systems have the staff member "log on", so they could get in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

TheDriver wrote: »
    The till operator in Dunnes stopped my purchase of 3 the other night stating only 2 per customer so wife picked up spare one and stood behind me and bought it seperately! Why bother.......

My niece works in Dunnes she had to sign a form to guaranteed she would'nt sell more than 2 tins they are very strict.
    Tesco are not that strict as far as I know :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭lesnol

Tesco have a limit of 4 per customer, just no sign of any Heroes. I don't get the quota thing, you can just keep going in and out to different tills. I think it is designed to create the illusion that demand is huge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

lesnol wrote: »
    Tesco have a limit of 4 per customer, just no sign of any Heroes. I don't get the quota thing, you can just keep going in and out to different tills. I think it is designed to create the illusion that demand is huge.

I think it's also to stop independent retailers buying huge amounts, as €4.99 is probably cheaper than Musgraves or another cash&carry would charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭DermoMIO

had no problems getting 3 tins in dunnes in rathmines altough as said above no sign of Heroes anywhere, been in atleast 3or4 tescos plus the dunnes and no sign also no problems getting the 3 tins in dunnes on self service with them being monitored

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The Heroes seem to be hard to get now - it always just seems to be roses and quality street on offer - are Heroes actually on offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,846 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

got one heroes, roses and celebrations for 4.50 in joyces today
    thats me more than sorted for xmas for sweets anyway
    dont rate quality street at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

there were lots of heroes in tesco arklow earlier this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭opo

I think it's also to stop independent retailers buying huge amounts, as €4.99 is probably cheaper than Musgraves or another cash&carry would charge.

I disagree. Tesco, like any other retailer, wants to maximise sales at any margin.

Margin by volume = profit.

This is a classic loss leader. Tesco is catering to hundreds of thousands of cross purchase - volume customers. Retailers are an unlikely consideration if even Dunnes/Musgraves have never sent trucks to Tesco supermarkets to load up. And that's assuming it would be worth their while.

It can only be worth their while if the wholesale price is substantially dearer after all - and they have plans for the stock that will shift the volumes. That means beating Tesco price. More loss leading.

I am of the opinion that Tesco is prepared to lose money on a single product, to win on the big grocery spend but they utterly resent doing so and are more afraid of the savvy customer than the retailer.

It really isn't going to get much cheaper - though there may be 50c left either way.

Buy it and leave. You can win too ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭opo

I disagree. Tesco, like any other retailer, wants to maximise sales at any margin.

Margin by volume = profit.

This is a classic loss leader. Tesco is catering to hundreds of thousands of cross purchase - volume customers. Retailers are an unlikely consideration if Dunnes/Musgraves etc do not tend to go to Tesco supermarkets to load up after all. And that's assuming it would be worth their while.

It can only be worth their while if the wholesale price is dearer and they charge less

I am of the opinion that Tesco is prepared to lose money on a single product, to win on the big grocery spend.

Buy it and leave. If there is 50c left to be had - its probably as good as it gets.

You can win too ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

So good you had to say it twice? It's real simple to me, if I want to buy something, I'll have a look around and see what the cheapest price is for it, and not worry about things like this. YOU can win as well, OPO.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I was in Dunnes in Clondalkin on Thursday getting a sandwich when I saw the tins of sweets. The manager told me that they'd only a couple of tins of Heroes left (and no celebrations, boo-urns). Seems like they sell really fast, unlike the horrible, cheap tasting Roses who took out all the good flavours

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

All the roses,celebrations and quality street are now gone up to 6 euro in Tesco Clarehall.

Sneaky gits indeed.

€13 is actually reasonable enough per kilo relative to other chocolates. But of course temporarily overinflated prices is common practise these days. As i said earlier in the 80s & early 90's these 'christmas tins' costed a fortune relative to other chocolate. I said €5 is equivalent to a mars or twix being 34cent per bar, so €13 is 2.6 times that, so equivalent to 88.4cent per bar, which is a typical price for bog standard bars.

Easter eggs have also dropped dramatically relative to regular bars. Since people have gotten used to it they are screaming ripoff.

Look on musgraves cash & carry christmas specials

http://www.musgravecashandcarry.ie/files/r12-2012/retail.pdf

roses, heroes & quality street tins are all €6.01 incl VAT
    The RRP is listed as €7.99
    Bit silly comparing them to individual bars and multiplying that price up though. Even just comparing to multipacks where ya can get Twixes for a around 50p per 100g shows that.
    phasers wrote: »
    I was in Dunnes in Clondalkin on Thursday getting a sandwich
    Of course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,303 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Still no celebrations in Tesco Merrion - very disappointing!

Advertisement