Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intelligent people drink more alcohol, studies show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

What a load of Shi*e.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

And?
    Dumb thick stupid smart brainiac geek
    We all fcukin drink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I saw research before that said the same thing. Also higher levels of drug abuse in general and higher levels of depression.
    It's not some kind of catch all, but a higher tendency.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Stupid people are already happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

This just proves what I already knew. Im a fúcking genius!

• Advertisement

Smarter people have more to worry about!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I feel suddenly better about my five-day bender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I wonder if it's a religious thing?

Smart people are less likely to be religious and I think most religions say not to drink?

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

Stupid people are already happy

this is very true. ive no scientific evidence to back this up but i conducted some research among people i know.
    Pretty much everyone who i would consider to be on the more intelligent side and more rational thinking drink more, are more depressed and use drugs.

The others just never think about anything else out there but just go along with whats happening in their lives day to day and keep a positive outlook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Seems legit

• Advertisement

UCDVet wrote: »

Smart people are less likely to be religious and I think most religions say not to drink?
    Religious people prey to their god to sort out their problems, thus passing the buck as they assume god will worry for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭jasonmcco

more here: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-buzz/smarter-people-drink-alcohol-more-often-studies-195846264.html

Well I've always known we are a nation of geniuses, what do ye folks make of this?

What i would take from this is that maybe intelligent people drink more to block out the pain of what their intelligent mind exposes them to(seeing the world and all its shortcoming probably depresses the intelligent more coz they are more aware of it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭jasonmcco

Real Life wrote: »
    this is very true. ive no scientific evidence to back this up but i conducted some research among people i know.
    Pretty much everyone who i would consider to be on the more intelligent side and more rational thinking drink more, are more depressed and use drugs.

The others just never think about anything else out there but just go along with whats happening in their lives day to day and keep a positive outlook.

Ignorance is bliss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Well I've always known we are a nation of geniuses, what do ye folks make of this?

I coudnt find anything more recent - 2008 chart:

http://bigotblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/alcohol_consumption_per_capita_world_map.png

Seems like we were the smartest along with Moldavians and Hungarians.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

It wouldn't surprise me, thinking too much generally removes joy from life. Often people use drugs and alcohol to replace the joy of life that relentless thought has removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I must be a fúcking genius then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

It wouldn't really surprise me. I remember reading a while ago that depression was correlational with intelligence - clever people see life for the shítstorm it really is, so it makes sense they'd drink more to get over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

we are all jin hthe gutter, but some of uis are lozoking at the stwars.

/hics

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Abi wrote: »
    I must be a fúcking genius then.

Let's all form a mensa group, drinks served.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,296 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Lets see... the smarter you are the more money you make, thus the more drink you can afford. Make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

UCDVet wrote: »

trolling post?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

Several problems I can see with the study, but it might just be the article not explaining it properly.

1 - Measuring IQ for children is difficult due to differences in how quickly some children develop mentally compared to other children. Was their IQ measured again as adults?
    2 - IQ itself is rather shakey.
    3 - Both studies took place in western countries with similar cultures. If the same study was done in France or Germany there could be a completely different outcome.
    4 - How big was the sample? For all we know there was 20 people studied, in which case the study would be useless.

Not saying the study was useless, just looking for more details. The media tends to leave details out when reporting scientific studies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Haelium wrote: »
    Several problems I can see with the study, but it might just be the article not explaining it properly.

1 - Measuring IQ for children is difficult due to differences in how quickly some children develop mentally compared to other children. Was their IQ measured again as adults?
    2 - IQ itself is rather shakey.
    3 - Both studies took place in western countries with similar cultures. If the same study was done in France or Germany there could be a completely different outcome.
    4 - How big was the sample? For all we know there was 20 people studied, in which case the study would be useless.

Not saying the study was useless, just looking for more details. The media tends to leave details out when reporting scientific studies.

I guess once someone invents the internet you'll be able to do a search pretty easily on that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Sweeping generalisations as such never warrant much merit.
    However I understand that deep thinkers would want to escape their own mind from time to time. We all have our vices. The pacman is a big drinker for example, but then so too is Twink...

It does of course destroy brain cells too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

Shryke wrote: »
    I guess once someone invents the internet you'll be able to do a search pretty easily on that sort of thing.
    Did a search, didn't find any details on the methodology, but I did find this:
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/addiction-in-society/201011/why-do-smarter-healthier-and-richer-people-drink-moderately

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Rumoured to be from Cheers.. But apparently not true.
    “Well, you see, Norm, it’s like this. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it’s the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Alcohol can make you feel smarter, many's a problem was solved on the barstool and forgotten about the next day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

The intelligent ones know when to stop though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

How do you measure intelligence anyway?

I want to measure my intelligence
    (Im pretty sure im a genius)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

MagicSean wrote: »
    The intelligent ones know when to stop though.

Indeed, after puking all over the floor and tearing up the jacks it's probably time to stop.

Advertisement