Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If extra terrestrial life was discovered

Options
  • 10-11-2012 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

What implications would it have for 'people of faith?'....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

They would still insist that it is all in gods plan. They would also find bits in the bible relating to some something that proves that they have been right all along and we are still going to burn in hell.....

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

if god was discovered how would that effect people with no faith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

pontia wrote: »

We could always just go to confession say a few hail marys and be resolved of all our heathen ways, isn't that how it works??

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Well unless the aliens looked exactly like humans they may have to re-write that bit in the bible about us being created in god's own image.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Some simple reinterpretation and bam, sure aliens are in the bible all along.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Freiheit wrote: »
    What implications would it have for 'people of faith?'....

Probably the same implications that happened when people realised that the Earth isn't the centre of the universe, Earth wasn't created in 7 days, earth isn't flat, evolution is real etc. etc.

Just move the goalposts a little bit and say "sure that bit wasn't literal".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Zaph wrote: »
    Well unless the aliens looked exactly like humans they may have to re-write that bit in the bible about us being created in god's own image.

Surely they'd just say that bit refers to earth only and for the other planets god used his imagination.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I believe that question has been answered many times and comprehensively by prominent atheists like Professor-Emeritus Richard Dawkins, who does not claim absolutely that no god exists; instead, he had made it clear that he might change his mind if presented with testable evidence of the existence of a deity.

Personally, I won't be holding my breath for such evidence to be presented.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

As for the discovery of extraterrestrial life, it would depend on where it was discovered and what kind it was. The discovery of DNA-based life forms on Mars or even the moons of Jupiter could indicate that life originated in one place, but was later carried elsewhere by asteroids or comets.:)

Someone once said that if you could reason with religious people, there wouldn't be any religious people, so even if a big golden spaceship with 10,000 Hutts on board landed in St. Peter's Square, I suppose there would still be many Christians who just got on with what they do best - denial - and continued to claim that we were all created in God's image. :D

jabba+the+hut.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

biblicalufon.jpg

Ezekiel-UFOs.jpg

aliensaint.jpg

16136014.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They'd simply decide that "made in his own image" was a reference to our souls and consciousness rather than our physical forms and use that as affirmation that the text of bible continues to reveal mysteries to us even beyond the ability of the original authors to have understood it, because now the bible includes aliens, thousands of years before we even knew they existed. Huzzah!

I should really apply for that chief bull speech writing job in el Vaticano.

It's really not that difficult to make any piece of text retrospectively mean whatever you want it to mean. It's the very basis of the major religions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

People follow religions mostly for 3 things; Karmic style justice that evens out the bad things that happen them, a simple reason for their existence and an existence after this one.

All aliens would do is maybe force the current religions to change things up a bit and it may allow new ones to pop up. Hell Scientology might get a huge boost if it positions itself right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

If which God was discovered? Last I checked there's quite a few that are worshiped by different groups worldwide.

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

yawn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Fritzl Funderland

we would all be screwed anyway. this idea that they will come in peace etc.. look at the human race, we kill each other etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,247 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Feck god. Wouldn't effect peter pan or the easter bunny either. How would it effect Miss Universe though? Miss Universe actually exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

yawn

Did you mean "Yam"? I can't find a god called Yawn

yawn

Lol, seriously? There are many Gods that are worshipped by different faiths today. And even more again by cultures & civilizations long gone. Some faiths even have multiple gods, others say only theirs is the real one. It's all a bit mad isn't it :D

yawn
    Are you a disciple of Bleh, the monosyllabic god of short posts? If so, tell us more. Is he as wacky as all the other ones? Can he do tricks?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

jesus-aliens.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

yawn

Your quality contributions continue to flow, I see. You're a keeper you are.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    You're a keeper you are.
    Sure, they don't take up much space...

yawn

head+in+sand.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

They still can't explain dinosaurs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

yawn
    I assume your done with this thread if that's all you have left to contribute.

What would be really interesting if the aliens who arrived showed us how they seeded earth a few billion years ago. I'd like to see some believers wriggle their way out that with a few "context" changes. :)

Dades wrote: »
    I'd like to see some believers wriggle their way out that with a few "context" changes. :)

They could burn the aliens at the stake for heresy...that always used to work?

EnterNow wrote: »
    They could burn the aliens at the stake for heresy...that always used to work?
    Aliens are made of asbestos. Only they don't call it asbestos. They call it '£$%%^tlteik**ycmxzrxn'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Would there be 'missionaries' to mars?

endacl wrote: »
    Aliens are made of asbestos. Only they don't call it asbestos. They call it '£$%%^tlteik**ycmxzrxn'.

True, if they die at the stake its only because the devil left them & we've saved their souls I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

Have you ever seen Jackie Healy Rae.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

Nahh, just throw random out of context quotes around and their sorted.
    :D

Advertisement