Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Beam me up scotty!" Existentialist question...

Options
  • 09-11-2012 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

Far beyond in the distant future scientists have managed to create the world's first teleportation device.

The way it works is at the departure point, its super computers and scanners copy your entire molecular structure precisely to every atom. In doing so the "old you" is torn apart and destroyed (worry not cause you won't feel a thing!). This information is then sent via the internet to your destination computer and then at the arrival point, a similar super computer working in reverse, like doing the world's largest copypasta job, puts back all the atoms and molecules in the exact order to create a "new you" and so you have arrived instantly at your destination. This would be the way all humans will travel in this future to and from any destination in the world instantly!

So here's the existentialist question. Is the new you really you?
    Did the real you die when you stepped into the scanner and were ripped apart? Is this new you not you but merely a clone of you or to put it in another way an impostor?

Or because the new you is 100% identical to the old you, is the new you still you?

Comments

You've never seen Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory, have you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Affirmative.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Best excuse not to pay your mortgage Ive heard in ages

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Big Bottom

That could never happen because you cant move your mind through the computer even if you can move your brain.

So the new you would be a zombie.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭karl_m

What gives us a mind, or better yet, the ability to think? having a functioning brain? If so then we would have a mind with full memory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

And the lesson today is

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Same question can be said about the prestige as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

Your are different , but no more different than a person that is constantly biologically ageing is different to their previous "self"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

How much does your dealer charge OP?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

For me the brain is the seat of true consciousness, if it reformed perfectly then you would be the same, if not ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

we cannae do it capt'n, we doont have the power

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Lots of questions yet no answers so far...
    Looks like After Hours follows the Socratic method of learning...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

You will of course cease to exist. Your copy will continue to exist and will fully believe he is the original and will not give a damn the real you is dead, as he will be you and not give a crap about yourself.

OK so this idea has been covered a lot. Scientists have already made claims of teleportation and the way you describe it is how it was carried out, not on anything organic but a break down and reconstruction occurred creating an exact duplicate. I don't remember details. It was a couple of years back.

China Meiville covered this really well in one of his novels. He's a very good British writer that does off kilter and exceptionally well written gritty neo fantasy type novels. A character in one book had the ability to teleport but late on into his career ended up studying what teleporting actually meant. The original destroyed, the copy living on. He ended up entirely mental and haunted by all of the ghosts of his other selves.

The Prestige carried on the same idea. The book by Christopher Priest to much better effect in the end imo.

The big problem with teleporting someone is sending a persons mind state. Shooting off grey matter is one thing but neural pathways are a bit complicated. If technology existed to do that then the next step would be getting yourself a new body or maybe cloning a younger version of your own. Teleporting a mind state would be as simple as transferring data.
    This is dealt with in a few different ways in various novels. Richard Morgan does a good job with the Kovacs books and obviously the untouchable greatness of Iain M. Banks.

Some recommended reading for you OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭larchielads

Well you said you'd be torn apart and destroyed I think destroyed being the operative word then no it would not be the real you as you said you'd be destroyed.
    But if it ripped your atoms down without destroying them and sent those exact same atoms thru the Internet to said destination then physically it is the real you as long as you retained your exact memories and not a copy of your exact memories then I think it's all def the real you.
    And I say not a copy of your memory because you can rip music from a cd and burn to another but it's not the exact same cd even with the same exact data on it.
    Simples :o

I think it'll still be "you", because you'll be sent electronically, it'll be all your own molecular structure with your own genetic code unique to you. It's like you rip up a piece of bread, put it in a box, carry it to a table, and re-arrange it. It's still the same piece of bread, granted you'd be "ripped up" drastically more. Then again I'm twenty, I've no fooking idea. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Lollers wrote: »
    For me the brain is the seat of true consciousness, if it reformed perfectly then you would be the same, if not ...

Don't worry, we'll be on to the soul soon, come in Philos.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Well you said you'd be torn apart and destroyed I think destroyed being the operative word then no it would not be the real you as you said you'd be destroyed.
    But if it ripped your atoms down without destroying them and sent those exact same atoms thru the Internet to said destination then physically it is the real you as long as you retained your exact memories and not a copy of your exact memories then I think it's all def the real you.
    And I say not a copy of your memory because you can rip music from a cd and burn to another but it's not the exact same cd even with the same exact data on it.
    Simples :o

Information is carried digitally (in bits and bytes) via the internet so everything that was the old you has been copied and your structure has been converted into digital information for the computers to understand and work with. The new you is an exact 100% reconstruction of the "old you" at the point you stepped into the scanner. Down to the very atom. So everything from your neuronal network to the food you've eaten is replicated to the exact copy of the "old you" by the world's most advanced knitting machine!

And as a poster previously mentioned, your bodies are constantly changing so its literally like taking a snap shot of your body and then replicating it in another place. Your body will simply continue on from where it left off...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Look!!!!! Just pay the friggin tv licence, they,ve heard all the excuses and none of them work

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Good Question

No religion is going to like this becouse it would mean that your soul would be left behind in the body that is destroyed. This would be becouse your soul isn't make up of atoms or whatever so cant be copied over.

Are you the same person though? Lets say all your hopes and dreams and memories and experiences and your physical body are copied perfectly. Then weather your the same person depends weather on not your subscribe to the concept of the soul. If you do believe in the soul then i think you would say you can't be the same person. If you don't believe the the soul then i think you would think you are the same person.

what is the actual answer. I haven't the fogiest idea....

There was an interesting question similar to this, with regards to time travel.

If there is a past me, a present me and a future me, then which one is the real me?

• Advertisement

There was an interesting question similar to this, with regards to time travel.

If there is a past me, a present me and a future me, then which one is the real me?

Could you re-phrase that? Do you mean a past, present and future version of yourself existing in the one place and time?

Shryke wrote: »
    Could you re-phrase that? Do you mean a past, present and future version of yourself existing in the one place and time?

At their own individual times - but if you were all together, then it raises that question. Who is the real you if you are all you?

Put if you were all together you would then be in the present, in all your consciousness, so the present you would be the real you, which would be all three? Then again, no fooking idea, :D

At their own individual times - but if you were all together, then it raises that question. Who is the real you if you are all you?

You answered it right there. They're all you. If you want to get into alternate realities we can start getting tricky but the answer would be the same imo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

sxt wrote: »
    Your are different , but no more different than a person that is constantly biologically ageing is different to their previous "self"
    This pretty much. One could argue the "real" you without talk of teleportation is in a constant state of flux with only the continuation of memory to provide the impression of a constant "you". Against that are people who through brain injury(strokes etc) can sometimes end up with no memory at all, or very short term memory. They can't recall family members or anything that happened 20 minutes ago, but still the (possible) illusion of them still being them is preserved.

When it comes to teleportation, it's not "just" a copy of cells and squishy bits, it's not a souped up digital copy, it would be a copy of your exact quantum state/information at that particular time. In other words you in as complete a form as the you reading this, as complete a copy as the universe would recognise. Unless a "soul" exists beyond the quantum information of the universe you would be transported with no loss of continuation of the you. YOu'd step in transport and step out. Put it another way... go make a cup of tea or coffee, or get a beer. When you go through the door into the kitchen, your quantum state has changed in billions of ways, yet it's still you that comes back to enjoy the tea/coffee/beer.

IIRC this would require that the original quantum you to be destroyed in the process. Where it would get interesting is if that wasn't the case. Forget transportation for a moment. Imagine we get to the point of being able to duplicate this lowest level of the universe state of matter. You make an exact copy of you. What next? Would you both experience the same consciousness, until some sort of external change shift would occur, or would the second the copy was made changes would also happen and you'd be two different you's? Real oddball shíte alright.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

Shryke wrote: »
    You will of course cease to exist. Your copy will continue to exist and will fully believe he is the original and will not give a damn the real you is dead, as he will be you and not give a crap about yourself.

OK so this idea has been covered a lot. Scientists have already made claims of teleportation and the way you describe it is how it was carried out, not on anything organic but a break down and reconstruction occurred creating an exact duplicate. I don't remember details. It was a couple of years back.

China Meiville covered this really well in one of his novels. He's a very good British writer that does off kilter and exceptionally well written gritty neo fantasy type novels. A character in one book had the ability to teleport but late on into his career ended up studying what teleporting actually meant. The original destroyed, the copy living on. He ended up entirely mental and haunted by all of the ghosts of his other selves.

The Prestige carried on the same idea. The book by Christopher Priest to much better effect in the end imo.

The big problem with teleporting someone is sending a persons mind state. Shooting off grey matter is one thing but neural pathways are a bit complicated. If technology existed to do that then the next step would be getting yourself a new body or maybe cloning a younger version of your own. Teleporting a mind state would be as simple as transferring data.
    This is dealt with in a few different ways in various novels. Richard Morgan does a good job with the Kovacs books and obviously the untouchable greatness of Iain M. Banks.

Some recommended reading for you OP.
    Have you a ghost writer, or are you REALLY this good?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

This was the subject of the very first story that Arthur C. Clarke got published: Travel By Wire! came out in 1937. He didn't take the idea very seriously, it has to be said. From the summary:
    There are some accidents and hiccups in the system. Not very many of them - they lost only one client in six million - but when they did happen, they were "very peculiar indeed". Occasionally transmitters would breakdown while a customer was being scanned, or two wires would get crossed, blending the two passengers. Earthing along the line could cause the traveller to just fade away. If a person hit an area of high resistance while in transit, they would come out a bit lighter than when they went in. This effect, under controlled conditions became a popular way for massively obese people to lose weight.

As the story ends the narrator reveals a secret:
    I don't travel by wire! You see, I helped invent the thing!

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnny D. Mudd

Well I guess the problem is that if the you that came out of the scanner is not you but a clone of you, you would presumably occupy the body of this clone of you meaning you would still consider that clone to be you as you would still occupy that body and would still exist as you. Despite your old self being apart, you still exist in reality as your new self. If you didn't, your clone would presumably be another individual you but that clone would essentially be an entirely different entity who is not you and thus you would not be able to comprehend your non-existence as a person. You mentioned being split by atoms and molecules on one end and being put together again on the other end. Even though you don't physically exist for the time it takes to be transported from one end to the other, those molecules and atoms are still the make up of you as a human, containing every piece of information about you not just as a body, but as a person. Therefore as long as you exist as atoms and molecules, you still exist as a person.

That is entirely difficult to try to put forth in any kind of comprehensible way and it's probably crap anyway. It's crap isn't it?

poppyvally wrote: »
    Have you a ghost writer, or are you REALLY this good?

I'm not sure what you mean..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well I guess the problem is that if the you that came out of the scanner is not you but a clone of you
    The thing is it isn't a clone, a digital copy like an MP3. I suppose in the music copying world it would be akin to having an exact copy of a CD, down to the molecules, the atoms the positions of the electrons, protons, neutrons and the very building blocks of those subatomic particles at that exact time and position in space.

That is entirely difficult to try to put forth in any kind of comprehensible way and it's probably crap anyway. It's crap isn't it?
    Hell JD we're all talking crap here, so you're among friends so work away. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement