Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World War Z (Movie)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

WWZ is ruined. They've seen 28 days later and just multiplied it by a thousand into the realms of complete nonsense from the looks of that trailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

not sure about it tbh, the proper trailer should be released tomorrow at some point, might be able to gauge it better from there

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭RedWolfCQB

I wished they named it something else! If I hadn't read the book I wouldn't even know they were zombies! All cgi crap! They are the complete opposite to how Max Brooks describes them in the book and WTF is with the body ramps they're making?! The only link to the book and movie are some of the locations and that the lead works for the U.N.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭RedWolfCQB

Oh yeah and... The full trailer

source https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Md6Dvxdr0AQ

mod edited: ye can see the video now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭jugger

based on the trailer i have one question.............did the script writers read the book:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

that trailer looks fantastic!

.... but its not a bit like the book :-(

I think it looks awesome too, it's just not going to be canon to the books. But who would have expected that?

bah, i would have..

That Cop! Jaysis!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

It's looks awful. What was that terrible remake of the Omega man, I am legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Riamfada wrote: »
    It's looks awful. What was that terrible remake of the Omega man, I am legend.

Both those films were based on the book, I Am Legend. Ironically, the movie with the same name as the book had so little in common with it... Stupid hollywood..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

How is the battle of Yonkers going to look like if they are sprinters.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

ScumLord wrote: »
    WWZ is ruined. They've seen 28 days later and just multiplied it by a thousand into the realms of complete nonsense from the looks of that trailer.

Undead geezers walking and running about with brains full of bacteria and eating people IS nonsense:)
    But its fun nonsense. Bring it on i say!!!!:D:D

Just watched the trailer. Seems nothing like the book.

How is the battle of Yonkers going to look like if they are sprinters.

was wondering about that myself. I'm hoping against hope that the sprinters are the recent dead and that shufflers will '(de)evolve' with time.

From the video, it looks like they can climb too..

But ye know what, feck it.. we get a blockbuster zombie movie next year, and despite it seeming to bastardise the book it does look really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭DakotaYoda

Absolutely awful. I cannot believe they let this movie get made. The CGI horde looks like something from 1990's stuff. Total crap.
    Way to go brad you dolt... I hope Max Brooks make some good cash off of selling the rights at least. I will not be going to see this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Sprinter zombies who can climb? Wtf? Not as bad as the Day of the Dead remake where they scaled walls like spiders. Still, this looks like dreck...

Oh well, at least there is the 3rd Season of the Walking Dead to look forward to....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

:eek:

I...

I..

I...

:confused:

What? No matter what they bastardised version they ended up producing, sprinters? Really? That did it for me. Not going to be a cinema outing for me, thanks.

Damn it. I was looking forward to this being good, ya know, strong story, zombies shambling around the place, Yonkers being an absolute disaster.

Obviously, Hollywood wouldn't stick the Yonkers part in there, having the US army and and state of the art weaponry shown as ineffective? Shure, that'd be like saying Jesus and his 42 disciples didn't tote AK47's, and kick the ninjas out of Kentucky.

****ing damnit! ****.

Seriously, they had great source material to work with. How could they go, "Well, the book's great and all, but d'ya know what this movie needs? ****ING NONE OF THAT!"

And the CGI? What a ****ing piss poor attempt. It looks horribly dated already, and it's nowhere near ready to release. Granted, 13 months or so of spit polishing, and buffing might make it a bit shinier, but a shiny turd is still a turd.

**** sake.

Another thing that looks like a cop out in that trailer is that everything normal one minute the next there's zombies everywhere. Instant apocalypse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Meah, Il go watch it. Zombie block buster il take that.

You wont please everyone any of the time as they say.

And sure why wouldnt dead drone human bodies climb over each other to get to something ? i dont really see the problem their ?

Alive human beings stampede over each other as it is. Think 'crowds'

This looks absolutely terrible.

I don't really mind about fast / slow moving Zombies too much, fast Zombies work better in my mind as "infected" living people instead of Zombies but the films either work or they don't.

That is not the issue for me here, my problem is the Zombie Horde - what the ****? It looks absolutely **absolutely** terrible.

It reminds me of these guys from the Matrix and that isn't a good connection:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q5rsQJpGV0&feature=fvwrel

I love the book, and I don't mind adaptations changing things, but I really think from what this trailer is showing that the best parts of the book are going to be glossed over in stupid CGI **** storm.

It's seldom I get this turned off by a terrible trailer, but this has gone from a must see Cinema film to a passive interest film.

God that was terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭jugger

Oh well, at least there is the 3rd Season of the Walking Dead to look forward to....

and its epic :D

but back to world war z once i heard arm pitt was going to be in it i had a feeling things were going south

if they had not blown the budget on arm pit maybe the cgi would be passable

how is a blind man with a boy living in the wild going to fight off the zombies when they appear to travel in a tidal wave like possy

so much good material just thrown to the side

it really has straight to dvd all over it :o

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Well yeah, I'll go see it, or more likely pirate it. But I'll probably be grumbling all the way through.
    And sure why wouldnt dead drone human bodies climb over each other to get to something ? i dont really see the problem their ?
    Slow zombie would crawl over each other but what we see in that trailer is tidal wave of bodies, it looks horribly unnatural. When people run around like that they tend to fall over and cause blockages, just look what happens when people flee a burning building, they all run for the door block the door and everyone dies.

I think zombies should be horror, this is shock and awe, panic and confusion. America is just incapable of doing horror any more. They are crippled by their reliance on CGI to get them around not being able to tell a human story.

It's a pity the Brits didn't make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

I've not read the book, but I'm really loving the waves of zombies crashing up against the walls and so on, just looked awesome to me. Not sure how good it'll be to watch the entire film but, yeah, those zombie waves are freaking fantastic!

I'll add the book to my 'to-read' section on goodreads anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

listermint wrote: »

You wont please everyone any of the time as they say.

Alive human beings stampede over each other as it is. Think 'crowds'

It is not the climbing up over bodies that is bothering folk, I think it is the speed at which they are doing so.

Look again at the trailer. Check out the speed they run over each other at near the end, and also in the scene in the street. They seem to be moving at superhuman speeds rather than the speed that say the sprinter Zeds in Snyder's DOTD were able to.

Or check out the speed they seem to be moving at in the bit where they knock over the bus. They are going so fast they seem to be like a fast flowing river.

Said this in the thread about it in the film forum, but there is a waft of the I Am Legend CGI about what is in the trailer. It just looks a similar rush job as in the effects were just lashed in.

It is being called a zombie film but there seems to be a lot of talk about the undead not actually being undead but rather mutated or infected humans a la 28 Days Later or I Am Legend.

I will still go to see it though, in the hope that they have a Battle Of Yonkers that does justice to the meat grinder of a battle from the book. But I have a horrible feeling that the scene in the trailer with the bus being knocked aside is part of their version of the Battle Of Yonkers. :(

I also think that not having read the book will be an advantage to folk watching it, as there will be no source material to love and to create expectations.

gufnork wrote: »
    I'll add the book to my 'to-read' section on goodreads anyway.
    The great thing about the book was that it was well thought out. It brought up real practicalities that you wouldn't have thought about yourself, that brought horror to it because you could relate and put yourself into the story.

This is just another cat in the cupboard scary film.

It's all been done before they've just put the concept of runners on steroids, it's extremely disappointing to anyone that was waiting for a more realistic view of a zombie outbreak.

ScumLord wrote: »
    ...it's extremely disappointing to anyone that was waiting for a more realistic view of a zombie outbreak.

Yeah, I can imagine it would be. I'm not likely to rush out and see it myself either, is just the zombie waves that made me smile a bit there. They do look very CGI-y I'll grant you, but I couldn't stop watching them, bit like a really cool car crash really I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

I really don't understand why Plan B bothered paying for the creative rights when they're effectively creating a film that seems to have literally nothing to do with the Novel.

This film seems to reek of too much creative input from some of the Hollywood suits. I imagine that they were urged to add something really unusual to spice up the whole Zombie Apocalypse scenario. What we ended up with is a mix up between "I am Legend" and the waves from "Point Blank".

It's a shame really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

If I knew nothing of the book I would most certainly not be interested in seeing this movie after watching that trailer. Seems almost like its aimed at the kind of viewer that would get excited about Transformers 4? Also hate the BWAAAAAAAAARRRMMMMMMMM thing that a lot of trailers seem have nowadays!?

Also hate the BWAAAAAAAAARRRMMMMMMMM thing that a lot of trailers seem have nowadays!?

Bwwaaarrrrrmmm

• Advertisement

My phone doesn't play them flash gizmo thingys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Fast moving zombies, as a whole, don't bother me, in the right setting, or if it's well done.

Based on that trailer, neither is the case.

The zombies moving, and piling up, just doesn't seem natural. Look at them again. Their gait isn't right. And the pile up? **** me. Have you ever tried (intentionally or otherwise) walking on people? Bodies move, and are unstable. A person climbing a pile of people would be all over the place. But in the trailer they just zip up like its a travelator.

If it didnt have the WWZ name attached, I wouldn't have cared, it would have been just another apocolypse film, brain switched off, away you go. But forgive me, I had certain hopes for this film. They've been definitely quashed.

Looks more like a "I am legend II"

Ahh will ye's stop being such fanboys ffs :D

Too much of this shite going on for my liking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

well i for one was concerned ole brad would fuk it up. i have to agree its not the book, i suspect they will have the story told in normal fashion not so much flashbacks or memories...

i will say i was impressed with the clip, freaking scared the crap out of me..it looks like for the storyline and the 90 minutes they have sped everything up, including the Z's.

i actually liked the wall climbing -- it did look unnatural, you know like a zombie! ;)

i also saw IDF soldiers in there if i am not mistaken and i am guessing the wall is the Israeli wall from the book. maybe the wall doesnt work out so well??

also the UN, jesus we are screwed if we are waiting on them ;)

finally i am definitely going to see it...we need the numbers to get the hollywood types to take their thumb firmly out of where they enjoy putting it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ChaseThisLight

If it didnt have the WWZ name attached, I wouldn't have cared, it would have been just another apocolypse film, brain switched off, away you go. But forgive me, I had certain hopes for this film. They've been definitely quashed.

That's it exactly. On its own, it might be a good movie, save for the superhuman sprinter zombies (wtf?), but the fact that it's supposed to be WWZ and isn't, doesn't give me any hope. Seriously, Pitt bought the movie rights to a book that he then didn't make a movie about. So why not just not have it attached to the book at all? Why not give it an entirely different name? And unfortunately, given how zombies have become the "cool" thing for people who have no idea about zombies at all, the movie will very likely be huge and make a lot of money - but for those of us who know the book, and know zombies, it's not going to be sensational, which is sad because the zombie genre is due a something amazing and not shit.

i dont want to depress anyone but i heard or read somewhere he bought the rights to the zombie survival guide as well...anyone else hear that?

i am guessing that will be an attempt to do zombieland....

also the z swarming over the bus look like IDF soldiers as well? if you pause you can see the helmets and uniform.

i dont want to depress anyone but i heard or read somewhere he bought the rights to the zombie survival guide as well...anyone else hear that?

Wikipedia has this:-
    The Zombie Survival Guide, The Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks, and World War Z have been confirmed to be produced as live-action films.[7][8] Brad Pitt, who is to star in World War Z, also confirmed that the producing studio, Paramount, has also been given rights to The Zombie Survival Guide and The Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks and are planning on adapting both of them as movies after World War Z is released, and that he is going to portray Max Brooks in all three films.[9] World War Z is due for release in theatres on June 21, 2013,[10] The Zombie Survival Guide is set for a 2014 release,[11] and The Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks currently has no release date set.

okay with a little pausing...

looks like ireland is clear!! (or maybe everyone had left by then with the housing crisis!)...pause at 1.09 and there is breakouts in scotland and london as well as europe. ...there is also a scene about paris...so i am guessing the truly scary paris story is included...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Pure ****e.

bwaaammmmmmm

The book is a classic, this bears no relation to it.

Bwaaaaammmmmmm

Why even call it wwz?

bwaaaaammmmmmmmm

Dreadful ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Oh Brad, you're our hero, only you can save us!

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I'm not much of a book reader but World War Z was something I just picked up and couldn't put down and was looking forward to a movie adapation of some sort.

Just after watching the trailer (having heard nothing about the movie beforehand) and think I died a little inside.
    I just watched it waiting for something from the book to click but nothing :(

Am I right in saying its from the script writer of Promethous and the director of Quantum of Solace? That's a terrible combination if ever I heard!

I've had time to let the trailer sink in and I've come to the following conclusion..

tldr: I'm looking forward to seeing it.

I've read the book, i don't mind if the film is based on it and named the same and not 100% cannon. I'll still be going to see it.

I've also watched the trailer a few more times since this morning to see if there was anything outstandingly bad imo, and to be fair, there isn't. Not to me anyway.

Sprinters.
    The zombies are not running faster than Usain Bolt, they are running in a crowd, and the bwarrrrr music and very well edited trailer is intensifying the feeling of them as being superhuman sprinters. They aren't. Watch it again and see for yourself. I'm not saying they're shufflers, i'm saying they are sprinters, and it's an outbreak so they've literally just been infected. Your or I dont know what way they'll turn out after a set amount of time, and the trailer is clearly gearing itself up to be a fast paced action movie...with zombies.

Wall climbers.
    There are a pile of corpses allowing the zombies to clamber over, and there looks to be a drainpipe type structure that they are attemtping to climb but failing. To me, that's fairly realistic, if it is the Israeli wall, there are going to be thousands of refugees trying to get inside and there is an outbreak there too in the book. I could easily imagine it happen like that.

Bwarrrrrrrrrrrr.
    Yeah, not a fan of ridiculous inception-like crap like that but, I've seen much worse. Nobody but nobody is going to get a trailer

Brad Pitt.
    Not a huge fan, don't care really what everyone thinks of it, but the man can act. See 'Snatch' if ye need a reference.

My hopes for the film are still high, i doubt anyone but myself can change that. But here's a single reason why.

Every zombie film I've ever watched has never shown the full whack of an outbreak, not one.
    Even Zack Snyder couldn't get that kind of budget together for the dawn remake, and although you get a glimpse of what's happening/happened, the films shows mostly isolated and suburban/rural areas. In the trailer for wwz you have already seen a city outbreak, in daylight, and thousands of infected zombies. You've seen military mobilization and mass panic, Yonkers in the book was a massive fubar by the military, could be that this is why, we just wont know until it's released or spoiled.

For ever, i have wanted a film to show an actual apocalyptic zombie outbreak in broad daylight, in a city, Not just cover it up with a title sequence or a crappy montage. This film has it, and i want to see that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

I long ago learned to distance any book I had read from that had a film made about it as I always ended up disappointed. I don't think of this film as wwz, I think of it as Brads zombie film.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

That's it exactly. On its own, it might be a good movie, save for the superhuman sprinter zombies (wtf?), but the fact that it's supposed to be WWZ and isn't, doesn't give me any hope. Seriously, Pitt bought the movie rights to a book that he then didn't make a movie about. So why not just not have it attached to the book at all? Why not give it an entirely different name? And unfortunately, given how zombies have become the "cool" thing for people who have no idea about zombies at all, the movie will very likely be huge and make a lot of money - but for those of us who know the book, and know zombies, it's not going to be sensational, which is sad because the zombie genre is due a something amazing and not shit.

I think he brought the rights to attract more attention to his zombie movie. He probably also bought them because he doesn't want someone else to get their hands on them and make a better film than his.

okay with a little pausing...

looks like ireland is clear!! (or maybe everyone had left by then with the housing crisis!)...pause at 1.09 and there is breakouts in scotland and london as well as europe. ...there is also a scene about paris...so i am guessing the truly scary paris story is included...

I haven't read the book in about five years, so I might be a bit sketchy here. But if memory serves me right, Ireland dodged the majority of the Zombie Apocalypse and was a bit of a safe haven for survivors.

There was even a chapter in the book where a character is being interviewed outside Saint Patrick's Cathedral in Armagh.

it's been too long since i read wwz, but i'm sure you're right and didn't that guy being interviewed give a story about defending a castle with old armour and medieval weaponry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

it's been too long since i read wwz, but i'm sure you're right and didn't that guy being interviewed give a story about defending a castle with old armour and medieval weaponry?

Think that was a different guy, was being interviewed about how people survived in the UK.

Dunno why, but i have it in my head that the interviewee in ireland was an army evacuee from Germany, but its years since i read the book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I want to hate this but the trailer has bits in it very close to how I pictured Many scenes in the book. The soldiers being overrun is clearly Yonkers and mass hoards trampelling those that fall to a pulp is another one that's clearly direct from the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

I like the slow zombies in my films but when I saw Zombieland, I loved the cardio rule for outrunning them and the fact that everyone would probably get caught by a zombie eventually.
    Makes them a lot more of a threat to my mind anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement