Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the best value loyalty cards in this country?

Options
  • 08-11-2012 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

I thought I'd start a thread on the best (and worst) loyalty schemes in Ireland.

From my own limited experience Boots deffo has to be in there and Dunnes seems to be good also (according to me mudder). Are there any others?

Bewleys Cafe have a loyalty card scheme where every 5th coffee is free which is better than most places (I'm looking at you Butlers) where it's every 10th coffee.

Are there any others?

As for the worse: definitely has to be Aer Lingus Gold Circle - most flights you can't earn miles and miles expire even when there is regular usage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Not a consumer issue

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

RangeR Please leave the moderating to the moderators

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

The Plastic ones, as they don't get destroyed in the washing machine, if you leave it in your jeans by accident.. :pac:

Here's an article Just under a year old. The points system are probably still the same.
    There is more info in the article itself.

Linky link link link
    First of all, what kind of loyalty schemes are out there at the moment? Superquinn introduced the concept in Ireland in 1993 and today, some of the biggest loyalty schemes are offered by the supermarkets.
    At Tesco, you earn one point (1 cent) for every €1 spent, and once you’ve collected 150 points you can convert it into a voucher worth €1.50.
    So, if you spend €150 a week on your shop, in the course of a quarter you will collect 1,800 points, which will be sent out to you in the form of a money-off voucher for €18. And remember, you can also collect Tesco Clubcard points when you buy petrol at selected outlets, or sign up to Tesco Mobile.
    In Dunnes Stores, you also get 1c for 1 spent, and once you have collected at least 400 points each quarter, you will receive a mailing in which your points are converted to money-off vouchers which can be used in any Dunnes Stores department.
    Some of the better schemes allow you to spend your points in a variety of ways. For example in recent years Tesco has expanded what you can spend your points on. Now, in addition to getting money off your weekly shop, you can avail of offers such as travel vouchers for Irish Ferries, magazine subscriptions, activity days, and restaurants. If you go for this option, you will get four times the monetary value.
    Similarly, at Superquinn, you can exchange your points for One4all gift vouchers or donate them to children’s charity Barretstown, while by signing up to Bus Éireann’s loyalty scheme, béClub, you can get a range of discounts, such as 15 per cent off the Irish Rugby range at Elvery’s or two-for-one entry at Funtasia.

As you mentioned..
    However the savings do differ – the best loyalty scheme of seven surveyed for coffee drinkers is Bewley’s, where you only have to buy four coffees before you will get one free. The worst of those surveyed was at O’Briens sandwich cafes, where you have to buy 10 coffees before you get a free one. So, at an average of €3 a coffee, by signing up to a loyalty scheme at Bewleys you can reduce the cost of your daily coffee to just €2.40 – but at O’Briens the loyalty scheme only reduces the price to €2.72.

Works out that you would get your "Friday Coffee" free in Bewleys.. Pretty good to set you in the last day of the week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

Allyall wrote: »
    The Plastic ones, as they don't get destroyed in the washing machine, if you leave it in your jeans by accident.. :pac:

Here's an article Just under a year old. The points system are probably still the same.
    There is more info in the article itself.

Linky link link link

As you mentioned..

Works out that you would get your "Friday Coffee" free in Bewleys.. Pretty good to set you in the last day of the week :)

BB's do buy 5 get 1 free aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

AngryLips wrote: »
    I thought I'd start a thread on the best (and worst) loyalty schemes in Ireland.
    being a (proud) cynical git, I look at it both ways, the worst could be the one with the best 'deal' since there is no free lunch, and they are no doubt charging you more to cover the 'deal'.

So bewleys is every 5th coffee and you rate it better than bulters at 10th. If costa coffee had a free one with every coffee I would expect them to charge more to factor in all the freebies they must give out.

Of course some might be genuinely good deals, just don't fall for them without fully evaluating all aspects of what 'value' really means to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I find Debenhams quite good. You get good points back particularly on makeup.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Flunch

Boots 4c back for every euro spent.. Can't go wrong :-)
    You can then use the amount on your card to pay for anything in store once it covers the full price.. no messing around waiting for vouchers!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭dereks

Dunnes if you stock up on wine/champagne deals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Nando's!

Everytime you visit (and spend at least €6) you get a stamp

3 stamps - 1/4 Chicken
    6 stamps - 1/2 Chicken
    10 stamps - 1 Whole Chicken

Nom Nom!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Coffee Angel -the shop in the tip stealing viral video -down past Eddie Rockets on St Anne Street -tiny place but fabulous coffee. They do a stamp system for cards for free coffees too - and their small chocolate brownies are so good you might die, or forget to go back to work & just sit there mulling the divine -ness over as the mega caffeine kick wakes you up from your work induced stupor.

Card gets stamped, card full, you get free coffee -no messings. And the BEST coffee in town!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Petrol loyalty card posts split out and moved to Motors forum here

Thread is a zombie, therefore closing.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement