Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Loyalty Card Schemes

Options
  • 21-08-2013 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

Which one of them has loyalty card (as far as i know Applegreen has it) ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

asgaard wrote: »
    Which one of them has loyalty card (as far as i know Applegreen has it) ?

Topaz as well: http://www.topaz.ie/play-or-park-top/PLAY-or-PARK.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Recent big changes to the Topaz card schemes (there's more than one) being discussed over on Motors....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057019840

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

coylemj wrote: »
    Recent big changes to the Topaz card schemes (there's more than one) being discussed over on Motors....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057019840

Fuelcard != loyalty card.

The fuel loyalty schemes around the country are all crap. I do about 65,000km a year in a very fuel ineffecient van, I should know:

Applegreen - approx .4c value per litre of fuel back. Approx 1.4% back on shop/deli purchases. Can be used to get Applegreen vouchers and a fair few other things

Tesco - 1 cent per litre back, stations are dingy dumps with queues out the door.

Topaz - 1 point per litre and 4 points per euro on shop/deli; can be used solely for competition entries.

Corrib Oil - .1c value per litre of fuel, 1% on shop/deli but has other 'buy x and get the x+1th free' offers

One of the smaller chains with about eight stations has one too, I use them so infrequently I've forgotten which it is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I tend to avoid the fuel loyalty scheme things- because I've found that certain chains add additives to their petrol and diesel that noticeably increase mileage (and also mean I don't need to change my fuel filter as often). Its all well and good pointing at Tesco diesel and saying- hey, its 147.9, and look Esso is a penny more expensive- when I know I'll get 3-5 miles to the gallon more MPG from the Esso fuel.......

I do a bit of long distance driving- and I have an onboard computer that gives me accurate fuel consumption readings- its a bit of an eye opener.

Can you 'name and praise' the garages who's petrol/diesel give you the best value?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Esso is top of my list at the moment- I am consistently getting over 50MPG in a 2 litre Volvo from it. Applegreen and or Tesco- I'm averaging 36-38 miles. Statoil- unfortunately- not much better. I can increase efficiency by adding redux to the fuel myself when filling up- but I shouldn't have to.

Esso is top of my list at the moment- I am consistently getting over 50MPG in a 2 litre Volvo from it. Applegreen and or Tesco- I'm averaging 36-38 miles. Statoil- unfortunately- not much better. I can increase efficiency by adding redux to the fuel myself when filling up- but I shouldn't have to.

Thats great news as my Local Esso is currently two cent cheaper then Topaz, despite the fact that they are directly across the road from each other!

Thanks for the feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posts split out and moved to the Motors forum (as this is definitely going in a fuel efficiency direction).

dudara

Advertisement