Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Children's Referendum

Options
  • 08-11-2012 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

Interesting that there hasn't been any talk here about the upcoming referendum. I suppose that it's not really directly relevant to A & A, but there is a curious religious element involved here.

As normal, the No side is populated by the ragged ranks of the Theocratic Agenda. It's the usual suspects, Waters, Dana, Kathy Sinnot, Iona, Alive. Their main point is that there is an undeclared attack on the Irish Family implicit in the referendum. Waters has hinted at sinister forces out to destroy the Family, and has used, to justify his opinion....well, he's used his opinion. 'I think it, therefore it must be true'. It's all very predictable.

Interestingly, the Bishops and SVP have come out for a Yes vote, showing again that the Theocratic Agenda members are much more extreme and hysterical and fundamentalist than the clerics.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

IMO, I think that the Catholic bishops were dragged kicking and screaming into supporting this. They probably see this as an apology for decades of child abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I like how the super crazy No side save me the bother of actually reading the text in detail. I just know to vote opposite to them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

There was some talk in another thread but it was undoubtedly off-topic and fizzled out. No harm in having a thread here.

The crazies in the NO camp do make for an easy decision at first glance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

I think for the many atheists who have expressed the opinion that bestowing ones faith on children is abuse, a yes vote is a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The referendum is little bit of an administrative tweak which doesn't actually change very much, making it irritating that it has to go to referendum at all. I'm ashamed to say that good, smart people I know are voting "No" because, "The courts can sort this stuff out without us changing the constitution". Of course, the point of the referendum is so that the courts don't have to sort this stuff out and cases can be dealt with using actual laws... :/

There is something in this relevant to A&A though. The current constitution imposes a "physical and moral" obligation on parents towards their children. Which, let's be honest, could be anything. And in Ireland of the past, probably included moral obligations invented by the local priest.
    This amendment removes the "moral" aspect altogther and inserts the clearer obligation to the "health and welfare" of the child.

"Welfare" is open to interpretation, but far less so than "morality" IMHO. And it's certainly less open to abuse by cults and nutjobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

JimiTime wrote: »
    I think for the many atheists who have expressed the opinion that bestowing ones faith on children is abuse, a yes vote is a must.
    This referendum says nothing about faith in reality. In fact as I point out above, it basically removes the word "morality" from a parent's obligation which means that you're free to teach your children whatever the hell you want without fear of being stopped because your concept of "morality" differs from the State's.

Religious groups should be jumping for joy at this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Newaglish wrote: »
    I like how the super crazy No side save me the bother of actually reading the text in detail. I just know to vote opposite to them

I like to think of Waters as a reference bigot it makes it easier to come to a position on many issues ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

JimiTime wrote: »
    I don't quite see the link between the childrens' referendum and the religious indoctrination of impressionable children by irresponsible parents.

Would you care to explain in more detail?

The National Parents Council, an organization that represents the interests of parents with children in primary schools, has called for a yes-vote, thusly:
    • 1,500 confirmed cases of child abuse in 2011: For the first time, the Constitution will take a child-centred approach to child protection and will put an onus on the State to better support families
    • Up to 2,000 children living in long term State would finally be eligible for adoption: This is in cases where the child cannot successfully return to their birth family
    • 65% of children are not asked their opinion in court decisions affecting them: For the first time, judges must listen to the views of children when making their decision in court cases relating to custody or child protection

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

robindch wrote: »
    I don't quite see the link between the childrens' referendum and the religious indoctrination of impressionable children by irresponsible parents.

I think you summed it up succinctly in your post.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

320x240.jpg

With respect:

227718.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I shall be voting No.

1. I do not see why a referendum that only gives children a tiny few more rights is even needed.
    2. This amendment means your children may be taken from you in "exceptional circumstances". What are these exceptional circumstances? Who decides them? Not you. Is poverty a reason? Who decides? Them. Not you.
    3. The entire point of a constitution is to safeguard people from crazy governments. They server no other purpose. When a amendment leaves things open to interpretation of a government or a court it devalues the entire point of having a constitution - this is what this referendum does.
    4. The biggest right facing children is the lack of access to education if you are not a catholic or a catholic hypocrite. There should be constitutional guarantees to ensure children have equal access to education irrespective of their religion - to stop a crazy government or political party legislating for religious apartheid like what has already happened. Remember what a constitution is for people.
    5. Look at the track record of how the state has treated children.
    6. If you turn back the clock of history none of the major abuses of children by the state would have been stopped by this amendment. In fact, the amendment gives the state top legal power to take your children.
    7. This referendum will be used to put families who are receiving 350 euros a month for fostering children under pressure to adopt - when they may not want to. They will also loose their 350 euros a month as soon as they adopt.
    8. The lack of public information about this referendum is nothing short of disgraceful. The government is trying to dumb it down to a no brainer let's care for children.
    9. There is nothing for children to give them the right to know who their parents are. Another fundamental right.
    10. I feel the government are using this referendum as a political stunt so that they can claim they have done something - but this referendum does nothing.

You will still be ripped off every time you have to bring you child to the doctor. You will still get your child benefit slashed. You will still be wondering why both of you are working 40 / 50 hours a week and not seeing your children that much. You will still be paying almost a grand for every child you have in childcare. You will still either have to find an ET school and have your taxes funding religious apartheid. You will still be getting shafted left, right and centre.

And they'll say we gave your children rights?

My f*cking hole.

It is a complete disservice to children that this amendment gives children any rights whatsoever.

It is like the South African apartheid government having a referendum for Black rights and all that referendum does is give adoption options that there is not much demand for while keeping every single other aspect of apartheid.

How insulting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

Dades wrote: »
    There was some talk in another thread but it was undoubtedly off-topic and fizzled out. No harm in having a thread here.
    Do you mean the thread below?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056785372
    Dades wrote: »
    The crazies in the NO camp do make for an easy decision at first glance.
    It's worth giving it a second glance.
    The National Parents Council, an organization that represents the interests of parents with children in primary schools, has called for a yes-vote, thusly:
    • 1,500 confirmed cases of child abuse in 2011: For the first time, the Constitution will take a child-centred approach to child protection and will put an onus on the State to better support families
    The Constitution already demands that the State intervenes in cases of abuse.
    [*]Up to 2,000 children living in long term State would finally be eligible for adoption: This is in cases where the child cannot successfully return to their birth family
    This argument is probably the most consciously misleading. Adoption by non-family members is very rare these days. Adoption belongs back in the Jurassic period, or somewhere that you've a large supply of frightened pregnant women with no access to abortion, like 1950s Ireland.
    65% of children are not asked their opinion in court decisions affecting them: For the first time, judges must listen to the views of children when making their decision in court cases relating to custody or child protection
    Yeah, this will amount to a 45 year old barrister getting a fee to stand up in Court and say "M'lud, if this child was a 45 year old barrister, he'd agree with what I'm about to say on his behalf.

Seriously, this thing is a crock.

The Constitution already demands that the State intervenes in cases of abuse.
    But only where it can be established that the abuse was the result of "physical or moral reasons", two conditions which are very difficult to prove. The amendment is much clearer and simply says that where a child is likely to suffer harm, regardless of the reasons, the state can step in and protect the child.
    Adoption by non-family members is very rare these days. Adoption belongs back in the Jurassic period, or somewhere that you've a large supply of frightened pregnant women with no access to abortion, like 1950s Ireland.
    Huh? It's rare because things at the moment make it difficult. The amendment resolves those difficulties and makes it possible to enact law which permits adoptions into suitable families where the original birth family are unsuitable.
    this will amount to a 45 year old barrister getting a fee to stand up in Court and say "M'lud, if this child was a 45 year old barrister, he'd agree with what I'm about to say on his behalf.
    I'm not quite sure how you managed to extract that meaning from the clear English sentence:
    [...] in respect of any child who is capable of forming his or her own views, the views of the child shall be ascertained and given due weight having regard to the age and maturity of the child.
    Seriously, this thing is a crock.
    Not on the basis of anything you've posted so far.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Newaglish wrote: »

I don't live in Ireland right now so know very little about the referendum and don't have an opinion on either side, but I'd be very careful about jumping to assumptions like this. For example during the 2002 abortion referendum the pro-choice vote was to vote no. Yet Dana and her ilk were also calling for a no vote as they thought that proposed changes were not restrictive enough. Sometimes people can vote the same way for completely opposite reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I shall be voting No.

1. I do not see why a referendum that only gives children a tiny few more rights is even needed.
    2. This amendment means your children may be taken from you in "exceptional circumstances". What are these exceptional circumstances? Who decides them? Not you. Is poverty a reason? Who decides? Them. Not you.
    3. The entire point of a constitution is to safeguard people from crazy governments. They server no other purpose. When a amendment leaves things open to interpretation of a government or a court it devalues the entire point of having a constitution - this is what this referendum does.
    4. The biggest right facing children is the lack of access to education if you are not a catholic or a catholic hypocrite. There should be constitutional guarantees to ensure children have equal access to education irrespective of their religion - to stop a crazy government or political party legislating for religious apartheid like what has already happened. Remember what a constitution is for people.
    6. If you turn back the clock of history none of the major abuses of children by the state would have been stopped by this amendment. In fact, the amendment gives the state top legal power to take your children.
    7. This referendum will be used to put families who are receiving 350 euros a month for fostering children under pressure to adopt - when they may not want to. They will also loose their 350 euros a month as soon as they adopt.
    8. The lack of public information about this referendum is nothing short of disgraceful. The government is trying to dumb it down to a no brainer let's care for children.
    9. There is nothing for children to give them the right to know who their parents are. Another fundamental right.
    10. I feel the government are using this referendum as a political stunt so that they can claim they have done something - but this referendum does nothing.

You will still be ripped off every time you have to bring you child to the doctor. You will still get your child benefit slashed. You will still be wondering why both of you are working 40 / 50 hours a week and not seeing your children that much. You will still be paying almost a grand for every child you have in childcare. You will still either have to find an ET school and have your taxes funding religious apartheid. You will still be getting shafted left, right and centre.

And they'll say we gave your children rights?

My f*cking hole.

It is a complete disservice to children that this amendment gives children any rights whatsoever.

It is like the South African apartheid government having a referendum for Black rights and all that referendum does is give adoption options that there is not much demand for while keeping every single other aspect of apartheid.

How insulting?

Ok...

Surely being given a tiny few more rights is better than being given no more rights? "But you can already vote and drive, why should things change so you can be policeman too? You're causing an awful lot of fuss!"

Now I realise the referendum isn't about children driving or voting or being policemen, but I've decided to play the cards you've dealt. The sticky slimey cards. Do you know what the 'tiny few more rights' are that are tiny and few enough to mean you are voting no? Care to give a point by point on why they should be denied?
    Your children can already be taken from you in 'exceptional circumstances', right now, right this second before the referendum has taken place, any second now... still have your children by the time you read to the end of the sentence? Nicely played...

****ing good! Let's have no morals laid down in stone here please. Let's have a morality that is talked about and reasoned and considered, to paraphrase some ugly annoying English ****.

... and I've grown bored. Sorry. I definitely will come back to finish the post tomorrow or the next day, not just being sarky or anything. Just insanely tired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

I shall be voting No.

Unless you think it's a bad idea to give children those few extra rights, then this isn't a reason to vote no.

The 'exceptional cases' part is already in the Constitution. In fact, the amendment clarifies the wording wording a little:
    In exceptional cases, where the parents for physical or moral reasons fail in their duty towards their children, the State as guardian of the common good, by appropriate means shall endeavour to supply the place of the parents, but always with due regard for the natural and imprescriptible rights of the child.
    In exceptional cases, where the parents, regardless of their marital status, fail in their duty towards their children to such extent that the safety or welfare of any of their children is likely to be prejudicially affected, the State as guardian of the common good shall, by proportionate means as provided by law, endeavour to supply the place of the parents, but always with due regard for the natural and imprescriptible rights of the child.

If the vagueness of 'exceptional cases' concerns you, then that's a good reason to vote yes.

The point of a Constitution is to broadly define the powers and responsibilities of the government and the rights and protections granted to citizens. Given the history of abuse in this state, a specific article on the rights of the child is an entirely appropriate addition to ours.

Also, things in the Constitution are usually left open to interpretation. If they weren't, we wouldn't have Constitutional challenges to particular pieces of legislation.
    4. The biggest right facing children is the lack of access to education if you are not a catholic or a catholic hypocrite. There should be constitutional guarantees to ensure children have equal access to education irrespective of their religion

I agree with this, but it's a red herring. The amendment is intended to provide extra protection to children in their home. It doesn't do anything to fix the problems with our education system, but it doesn't worsen them either. It's just not relevant.

It's not good. Which is a very good reason to insert an article into our Constitution that compels the government to make a point of looking out for children's welfare.

In exceptional cases where the safety or welfare of the child is in jeopardy. And the amended article outlines more clearly what these exceptional cases are (see my response to your second point).

Got a link?

Same as most other referendums, then. The Referendum Commission website gives a decent overview of the amendment.

Again, the fact that it doesn't do things it wasn't intended to do isn't an argument against it.

Did you not just claim it gives the state the power to take your children? And that it gives children a "tiny few more rights" (to use your exact wording)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Actually, what he said, I'll probably forget to come back tomorrow or the next day in anyways and that was close enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Treora

Morality in the constitution is from 'our Divine Lord' and the morality of those that hold a different value system (let's say atheist), separated people or single people are looked on differently by the constitution. Replacing 41 with children's rights in relation to the onus on their parents, but placing fundamental connection between child and parent would solve many things. Gay marriage (another part of 41) and separated parents rights along with better divorce law (another part of 41) should be and would be changable by open dáil vote and only one constitutional referendum rather than the expect three to five over the next 20 years.
    Preamble to the constitution
    "In the Name of the Most Holy Trinity, from Whom is all authority and to Whom, as our final end, all actions both of men and States must be referred,
    We, the people of Éire,
    Humbly acknowledging all our obligations to our Divine Lord, Jesus Christ, Who sustained our fathers through centuries of trial,"
    The Family
    Article 41
    1. 1° The State recognises the Family as the natural primary and fundamental unit group of Society, and as a moral institution possessing inalienable and imprescriptible rights, antecedent and superior

to all positive law.
    1. 2° The State, therefore, guarantees to protect the Family in its constitution and authority, as the necessary basis of social order and as indispensable to the welfare of the Nation and the State.

Education
    Article 42
    5. In exceptional cases, where the parents for physical or moral reasons fail in their duty towards their children, the State as guardian of the common good, by appropriate means shall endeavour to supply the place of the parents, but always with due regard for the natural and imprescriptible rights of the child.

versus
    42 A
    2. 1° In exceptional cases, where the parents, regardless of their marital status, fail in their duty towards their children to such extent that the safety or welfare of any of their children is likely to be prejudicially affected, the State as guardian of the common good shall, by proportionate means as provided by law, endeavour to supply the place of the parents, but always with due regard for the natural and imprescriptible rights of the child.
    2.2° Provision shall be made by law for the adoption of any child where the parents have failed for such a period of time as may be prescribed by law in their duty towards the child and where the best interests of the child so require.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

strobe wrote: »
    Actually, what he said, I'll probably forget to come back tomorrow or the next day in anyways and that was close enough.

Snap?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Article 41 wrote:
    The Family
    Article 41
    1. 1° The State recognises the Family as the natural primary and fundamental unit group of Society, and as a moral institution possessing inalienable and imprescriptible rights, antecedent and superior to all positive law.
    1. 2° The State, therefore, guarantees to protect the Family in its constitution and authority, as the necessary basis of social order and as indispensable to the welfare of the Nation and the State.

Are these bolded statements the reason why the children of married parents can't be adopted?

Unless you think it's a bad idea to give children those few extra rights, then this isn't a reason to vote no.
    Some of the changes are also dangerous for reasons I outlined.
    The 'exceptional cases' part is already in the Constitution. In fact, the amendment clarifies the wording wording a little:
    Elaborate please?

The point of a Constitution is to broadly define the powers and responsibilities of the government and the rights and protections granted to citizens. Given the history of abuse in this state, a specific article on the rights of the child is an entirely appropriate addition to ours.
    Incorrect. The changes would not have made any difference to what happened. In fact they could have made things worse.
    Also, things in the Constitution are usually left open to interpretation. If they weren't, we wouldn't have Constitutional challenges to particular pieces of legislation.
    They shouldn't be. That's bad law.
    I agree with this, but it's a red herring. The amendment is intended to provide extra protection to children in their home. It doesn't do anything to fix the problems with our education system, but it doesn't worsen them either. It's just not relevant.
    But a Yes vote gives an edifice that thinks religious apartheid is ok more power. This edifice has failed. It should not be given any more power. It is a very dangerous thing to give it more power, until changes are made to stop it failing.
    It's not good. Which is a very good reason to insert an article into our Constitution that compels the government to make a point of looking out for children's welfare.
    They already looked after children's welfare and made a mess of it. a Yes vote does nothing to make them raise their standards instead it gives them more power.

It is the wrong way to fix this problem.
    Got a link?
    Frontline, last Monday.

Did you not just claim it gives the state the power to take your children? And that it gives children a "tiny few more rights" (to use your exact wording)?
    There are a tiny few more rights in some adoption cases - that's it.

strobe wrote: »
    Your children can already be taken from you in 'exceptional circumstances', right now, right this second before the referendum has taken place, any second now... still have your children by the time you read to the end of the sentence? Nicely played...
    And with a Yes vote they will able to do it with constitutional support.
    ****ing good! Let's have no morals laid down in stone here please. Let's have a morality that is talked about and reasoned and considered, to paraphrase some ugly annoying English ****.
    Are you saying to get rid of the declaration of human rights as well then?

The children's referendum was done in a mess. It should have been like the declaration of human rights where the actual rights are stated - rather than a transfer of power to a state.

Have a read of the declaration of human rights and then read this joke of a referendum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

But only where it can be established that the abuse was the result of "physical or moral reasons", two conditions which are very difficult to prove.
    Ah, come up for air. The State can and does intervene in cases of abuse. The present wording does not represent a block on action.
    It's rare because things at the moment make it difficult.
    No, you've been taken in by the spin. There used to be over 1,000 adoptions a year in Ireland, right up to the 1980s - under our present constitution. Now there's less than 200, and most of them are by the "natural mother and her husband". The reason for the fall-off is simply that society has changed.

The spin that there's 2,000 children in foster care only waiting for this change to facilitate an adoption is complete baloney. There's no legal block on non-marital children being adopted (and marital children can be adopted if the parents have failed), yet there's still damn all adoptions. It is a completely invented argument, spun by people who know better.
    Because people like Barnardoes know this argument is pants, yet they keep making it.
    I'm not quite sure how you managed to extract that meaning from the clear English sentence:
    Well, if you reflect on it with an open mind I'm sure enlightenment will come.

Incidently, its already the practice for Courts to "hear the voice of the child" in proportion to the child's maturity. This is another invented issue. Children essentially have the same rights as all of us; the issue is only around how those rights are defended.
    Not on the basis of anything you've posted so far.
    Well, there's always a necessity for people to being open to hear evidence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

There's no legal block on non-marital children being adopted (and marital children can be adopted if the parents have failed), yet there's still damn all adoptions. It is a completely invented argument, spun by people who know better.
    from what i understand, the way the law is interpreted (regardless of how it may be actually phrased), a biological parent can prevent a child from being adopted by someone else, even if the biological parent cannot be trusted to be left alone with the child.

if the referendum makes the wording explicit, this is not a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭owla

I don't trust the state, i don't trust the spin, I agree that if the government now pledge this change, besides a few rare adoption cases, will they improve childrens welfare? As far as i know they are cutting funding (via HSE) to all these care services? So am I going to hand over the rights of parents over their children to the state? NO!

owla wrote: »
    I don't trust the state, i don't trust the spin, I agree that if the government now pledge this change, besides a few rare adoption cases, will they improve childrens welfare? As far as i know they are cutting funding (via HSE) to all these care services? So am I going to hand over the rights of parents over their children to the state? NO!

It's a sinister political stunt. Would have been nice to have something that gave children real and meaningful rights.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

owla wrote: »
    for every positive change you could point to, you could probably point to three negative things. is this a reason to abandon trying to make a positive change?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Have only skimmed through this thread but just wanted to rant. I haven't been able to read up much on this referendum so I don't fully know yet where I lean but it seems the 'No' side of people I know keep using the state hasn't dealt adequately with children so why should we give them more power and it annoys the crap out of me.

That's a bit like assuming a state where 100s of murders are occurring daily and going "The Gardaí don't do enough to prevent murders therefore we shouldn't make murder illegal in our constitution." If children deserve more rights then they deserve more rights and protections. Whether the state competently enforces and carries out those protections is another matter entirely. If they fail to look after children with due care and diligence then that is a failing of the state which they should be made fully accountable for.
    It's not adequate to claim they don't look after children competently, therefore this change to the law is unnecessary. .

Just wanted to get that off me chest. :)

Advertisement