Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

21st Century Railway - RTÉ 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

How old is this series? What is the 21st Century 'renaissance' they are blathering on about? Who is behind this series - Barry Kenny. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

A little late to be talking "21st century" when you're 12 years in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

isn't all of Ireland's rail 20th century or older. still using 20th century tech for signalling, locomotives, dmu/emu etc
    what exactly is 21st century about any aspect of Irish rail other than the dates the happen to run trains?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The fares!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Yawn yawn............ not another ironing the land series, armchair historians in tweed jackets spouting rubbish, might be worth a look if theres nothing else on in the box in the corner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I'm going to reserve judgement...it COULD be a truthful documentary on the state of our Railway, on the other hand, it could be one state body doing a whitewash for another.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

corktina wrote: »
    I'm going to reserve judgement...it COULD be a truthful documentary on the state of our Railway, on the other hand, it could be one state body doing a whitewash for another.
    doubtful.

Sure Irish Rail cant cooperate with their sister companies so what chance they'd manage to do it with a completely separate state company?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

looks rubbish from the promo - stating the obvious with the same old stock footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Drimnagh Road

An inefficient, unaccountable, money wasting state broadcaster making a documentary about an inefficient, unaccountable, money wasting semi-state.

I assume that they will be mentioning the fact that it is now quicker by bus to Cork, Limerick, Galway, Belfast to name a few.

I assume they'll mention that despite the hundred's of millions of euro wasted in investment, journey times in the 80s were quicker to Cork than they are now.

I assume they'll be showing us the mid-life mk3s awaiting the cutters torch in North Wall.

I assume they'll be mentioning how, in the 21st century, less freight is been carried now than in the 20th.

I assume they'll be showing us the 15 year old laid up 2700s awaiting the cutters torch.

I assume they'll be showing us the couple of 22000s that the won't commission.

Add to list as appropriate...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,988 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

An inefficient, unaccountable, money wasting state broadcaster making a documentary about an inefficient, unaccountable, money wasting semi-state.

I assume that they will be mentioning the fact that it is now quicker by bus to Cork, Limerick, Galway, Belfast to name a few.

I assume they'll mention that despite the hundred's of millions of euro wasted in investment, journey times in the 80s were quicker to Cork than they are now.

I assume they'll be showing us the mid-life mk3s awaiting the cutters torch in North Wall.

I assume they'll be mentioning how, in the 21st century, less freight is been carried now than in the 20th.

I assume they'll be showing us the 15 year old laid up 2700s awaiting the cutters torch.

I assume they'll be showing us the couple of 22000s that the won't commission.

Add to list as appropriate...

the 12 year old 8200 dart units which saw hardly any service and which IE should have took legal action to force their builder to repair or replace the units with no cost to IE.
    no, the only thing they will show is stuff to make people think everything is fine and dandy when it isn't.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

the 12 year old 8200 dart units which saw hardly any service and which IE should have took legal action to force their builder to repair or replace the units with no cost to IE.
    no, the only thing they will show is stuff to make people think everything is fine and dandy when it isn't.
    Why did Irish Rail not take legal action against the manufacturer of those Dart units?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,988 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Why did Irish Rail not take legal action against the manufacturer of those Dart units?
    i do not know foggy, completely idiotic for them not to have took legal action

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Ah Transport 21, Brilliant Martin Cullen, where is he now? FLORIDA !!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

vicwatson wrote: »

Getting a daily round of golf in with his bad back. It's a miracle!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2153931/Cullens-life-luxury--taxes-Minister-e-voting-quit-2010-bad--120k-pension-Now-new-Jag-Florida-mansion--new-love.html

"we are no longer accepting comments for this article..."

From the telly tonight's episode is described as follows
    Documentary series. The first episode looks at the creation of railways in Ireland. exploring how they overtook canals as the primary means of mass transportation.

Sounds like riveting stuff all right like a dozen auld programs that went before just mixed up a small bit with interviews and clips swapped around and thrown into a few half hour slots!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

To be fair, not everyone has seen those dozen auld programs so it will appeal to some . To the hardend spotter or enthusiast it may be same old same old.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The intro suggests it's going to be a promo for Irish Rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

21st century railway is what it's called and yet it starts in the 19th... good start!

The contributors seem to be stuttering and looking to the side a lot as if they have trouble remembering their lines, it sounds scripted and like they know very little about what they are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The only reason they upgraded the network was because a train derailed in the minister's constituency! At least there's some honesty and realism in the program!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

That was terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

it wasn't terrible, it was basic, but then it needs to be because 99% of people know squat about railways

Some nice archive film

On the whole better than I thought, but lets wait til the next episode...

corktina wrote: »
    it wasn't terrible, it was basic, but then it needs to be because 99% of people know squat about railways

Some nice archive film

On the whole better than I thought, but lets wait til the next episode...
    It was quite interesting apart from the stuttering commentators.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Not bad. better than i was expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭dublinbusdude

Would liken if they talked about Luas too as its classed as "Light Rail"

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭topnotch

What a ****e program. Barry Kenny might as well have done the narrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

vicwatson wrote: »

Ya, living in a mansion in sunny Florida. new blonde partner and a sportscar.
    gets €10,000 a month pension to go with his massive 'retirement' lump sum.
    must really be bursting his hole laughing at us all back here.
    Ah but shure he fixhed the road in Waterford.!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭The Idyl Race

topnotch wrote: »
    What a ****e program. Barry Kenny might as well have done the narrating.

For a worse experience, we could always get a coach enthusiast to upload a video to the Tube of You from his mobile and narrate over it with an Eric Cartman voice going
    Trains are for hippies, dude, private sector coaches rock!

Give me a job when I leave university!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭topnotch

Hey homosexuality was decriminalized in this country in 1993 ,
    coach entusiasm is still illegal as far as i'm concerned.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Is it / will it be available on RTE Player?

Advertisement