Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dana,Cathy Sinnott,john waters say vote no..good reason to vote yes.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I read John Waters a few times on this in the last few weeks and the inevitable conclusion is to run, screaming, to the voting booth to vote YES. This is what I will be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Robbo wrote: »
    This is the same John Waters who lost a custody battle because he was deemed less sane than Sinead O'Connor?
    Indeed, the same John Waters who literally ran a mile and dumped her when he found out Sinead was pregnant and then resurfaced a couple of years later demanding custody of the child.

He has about as much authority to talk about children's rights as the Pope does to talk about morality. He's a filthy little weasel, interested only in himself and not in what's best for the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

More copy pasta from the same newspaper.
    particularly where it is used specifically, "to provide the place of the parents in keeping children safe". But it is the hollowness of the concept of guardianship that makes me cringe.

Any narrative of the State's guardianship is full of woeful and terrible mistakes in respect of State care of children.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/bruce-arnold-for-childrens-sake-vote-no-and-reject-this-hollow-care-proposal-3282119.html

• Registered Users Posts: 40,924 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Markcheese wrote: »
    Basically I haven't read the blurb or done any research... But feel I should vote..Dana,Cathy Sinnott and John waters all say vote no on sat.... Sounds like as good a reason as any other to vote yes...

and Jim Corr and the Editor of Alive Magazine

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Oh Waters, you card. Who knows more about protecting children than a man who had an affair with a married woman, abandoned her as soon as he got her preggers, sent her into depression and then used said depression to try and take the child he didn't want, and as was mentioned earlier, lost the court case because Sinead O'Conner was still the better choice?

Yup, Johnny W knows the score when it comes to protecting kids. By which I mean I think he's a detestable f*ckbend of the highest order that hides behind massive sodding walls of unnecessary text because he has nothing worth saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Do the opposite of what Dana tells you, always.

Usually I would agree, but this seems to be the exception this one time. Unfortunately for anyone actually wanting a No vote for valid reasons we've got stuck with the mad religious groups. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

donvito99 wrote: »
    I have lots of friends who are children

>.> <.<
    Is that you Jimmy Seville?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

I'm sure Waters will blame athiests if it gets a yes vote.

R0ot wrote: »
    Usually I would agree, but this seems to be the exception this one time. Unfortunately for anyone actually wanting a No vote for valid reasons we've got stuck with the mad religious groups. :pac:

I haven't seen many valid reasons from no voters

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Well when you consider some of those on the yes side.....
    Sir, – We support a Yes vote in the children’s referendum on November 10th. This is a historic opportunity to put children at the heart of the Constitution. We encourage everyone to make time on Saturday to vote Yes for children. – Yours, etc,

ANNE FAY, INTO; DAVID NOLAN SC, Bar Council of Ireland; FERGUS FINLAY, Barnardos; MICHAEL BARRON, BeLong To LGBT Youth Services; Dr THOMAS QUIGLEY, Bessborough Centre; DENISE MC CORMILLA, Border Counties Childhood Network; MARY FLAHERTY, Cari (The Children at Risk in Ireland Foundation); BART STORAN, Campaign for Children; CARMEL CORRIGAN, Independent Research and Evaluation Consultant; CATHERINE GHENT, Solicitor; EDDIE D’ARCY, Catholic Youth Care; PATRICIA MURRAY, Childminding Ireland; MARY O’CONNOR, Children in Hospital Ireland; TANYA WARD, Children’s Rights Alliance; MARTIN O’CONNOR, COPE Galway; JOHN DOLAN, Disability Federation of Ireland; KAREN Mc HUGH, Doras Luimní; Dr DAIRE KEOGH, St Patrick’s College, Drumcondra; Dr DYMPNA DEVINE, UCD; Dr GEOFFREY SHANNON; ELLEN O’MALLEY DUNLOP, Dublin Rape Crisis Centre; JOHN HOLLHAN, Educate Together; JENNIFER GARGAN, Empowering People in Care; ETHEL BUCKLEY, Siptu; CLAIRE DINEEN, Family Resource Centre National Forum; JOYCE LOUGHNAN, Focus Ireland; CLÍONA FROST, Príomhoifigeach, Forbairt Naíonraí Teo; SEAN CAMPBELL, Foróige; Fr PETER MCVERRY; KIERAN ROSE, Gay and Lesbian Equality Network; PAUL MARTIN, Home-Start National Office, Ireland; DENISE CHARLTON, Immigrant Council of Ireland; PADDY CONNOLLY, Inclusion Ireland; ELAINE GERAGHTY, Inspire Ireland Foundation; DAVID JOYCE, Irish Congress of Trade Unions; MARK KELLY, Irish Council for Civil Liberties; LIZ WALL, Irish Countrywomen’s Association; SEAN O’GORMAN, Irish Foster Care Association; LIAM HERRICK, Irish Penal Reform Trust; DYLAN GRACE, President of Irish Second-Level Students’ Union; ASHLEY BALBIRNIE, Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children; NIALL MCLOUGHLIN, Irish Youth Foundation; JONATHAN IRWIN, Jack and Jill Children’s Foundation; JACKIE O’CALLAGHAN; CATHERINE McGUINNESS; ORLA KENNY, Kids’ Own Publishing Partnership; CATHLEEN O’NEILL, Kilbarrack Youth Project; JAMES MCCOURT, Law Society of Ireland; ORLA TUOHY, Lifestart Foundation; KIERAN O’DOWD, Macra na Feirme; MAURICE PRATT, Barretstown; CHRISTINA HUGHES, Miss Carr’s Children’s Services; MONINNE GRIFFITH, Marriage Equality; JACKIE ARMSTRONG, Mothers’ Union of Ireland; KRYSTIAN FIKERT, MyMind; AINE LYNCH, National Parents Council (Primary); ORLA O’CONNOR, National Women’s Council of Ireland; MARY CUNNINGHAM, National Youth Council of Ireland; CAROLE GOULDING, No Name Club; PATRICIA CONBOY, Older and Bolder; OLIVIA O’LEARY; MAEVE LEWIS, One in Four; KAREN KIERNAN, One Family; FRANCES BYRNE, OPEN; Patricia Lee, Parentstop; Pat Clarke,* Down Syndrome Ireland; SANDRA BYRNE, Violence Against Women Programme, Pavee Point; PETER Mac DONALD, The Body Shop Ireland; PÓL Ó MÚRCHÚ, Solicitor; Prof NÓIRÍN HAYES, Centre for Social and Educational Research, DIT; Prof URSULA KILKELLY, UCC; FIONA NEARY, Rape Crisis Network Ireland; ALLISON GRAHAM, Saoirse Women’s Refuge; GARY BRODERICK, Saol Project Ltd; JOHN LAWLOR, Scouting Ireland; JOE O’TOOLE; Senator JILLIAN VAN TURNHOUT; SHANE DOWNER, Arc Adoption; SHEILA NUNAN, INTO; DENISE LYONS, President of Social Care Ireland; ANNE McKEOWN, Sonas Housing Association; ADAM HARRIS, Spunout Youth Leadership Panel; Sr STANISLAUS KENNEDY; MARIE THERESE MULHOLLAND, St Patrick’s University Hospital; TOBY WOLFE, Start Strong; KILLIAN FORDE, The Integration Centre; DES ALLEN, Tennis Ireland; INEKE DURVILLE, Irish Association of Social Workers; MARGARET DROMEY, Treoir; Prof PAT DOLAN, Unesco Child and Family Research Centre; PETER POWER, Unicef Ireland; WAYNE DIGNAM, Irish Foster Care Association; VICKY RATTIGAN, Young Christian Workers; MIKE KELLY, Young Irish Film Makers; ELEANOR McCLOREY, Youngballymun; SIOBHÁN O’DWYER, Youth Advocate Programmes Ireland; Dr PATRICK J BURKE, Youth Work Ireland PAUL GILLIGAN, C/o Molesworth Street, Dublin 2.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement