Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSN messenger is dieing

Options
  • 07-11-2012 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭

Netcraft confirms it.
    Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20222998

A few short years ago everyone was on this. Now tis going to be switched off. I dunno why people actually stopped using it though, what actually made people decide 'i'm not going to log on to this thing anymore'.

I never had much time for the official MSN messenger client, always used things like Trillian, Pidgin and what have you. For a few years they kept trying to kick out the unofficial clients but it wouldn't take long before it would be cracked again. The official one also displayed ads.

Tis sad to see it go really despite the heap of sh1t that it was really, I have good memories of talking to lots of fine beours on there :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

I think Facebook messenger was the major factor in this. It pretty much removed the need to log into it. If someone was going to be online on this, they were more than likely going to be on Facebook as well at the same time. And when you can have everything in the one place on Facebook just made MSN redundant.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

What ever happened to Yahoo Chat? That was good oul craic :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Gtalk kind of took over. I know MS want to replace it with skype but I literally never use skype.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

eth0 wrote: »
    Netcraft confirms it.
    Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20222998

A few short years ago everyone was on this. Now tis going to be switched off. I dunno why people actually stopped using it though, what actually made people decide 'i'm not going to log on to this thing anymore'.

I never had much time for the official MSN messenger client, always used things like Trillian, Pidgin and what have you. For a few years they kept trying to kick out the unofficial clients but it wouldn't take long before it would be cracked again. The official one also displayed ads.

Tis sad to see it go really despite the heap of sh1t that it was really, I have good memories of talking to lots of fine beours on there :)

i used to use it alot but sadly the last 2 versions were so buggy and had auto mute mic fixed so u could not unset it rendering it useless if u had a webcam mic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

BroLo wrote: »
    I think Facebook messenger was the major factor in this. It pretty much removed the need to log into it. If someone was going to be online on this, they were more than likely going to be on Facebook as well at the same time. And when you can have everything in the one place on Facebook just made MSN redundant.

I thought it was skype that replaced it. There are 37m people logged into it now, back in the day there used to be maybe 1m if you were lucky. Facebook messenger is sh1t :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I stopped using it after getting 20+ friend requests from random people every week.
    Gmail chat and Facebook definitely had a big hit on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Angeles

gtalk, facebook messenger?? people regularly use these?..
    If anything i would have thought skype was is the reason for this to fall over.
    I know quite a lot of company's that previously used messenger for internal comms have moved to using skype which would have had a huge impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

MSN Messenger is still the most used IM software I think.

MSN will just be rolled into and replaced by the Skype frontend - integrates Facebook messenger too I think.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Makes me think of the old MSN Chat rooms of the earlier 00's.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Everything dys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I stopped it because

1) Skype took over
    2) It buggy as hell
    3) There'd be loads of random people adding me on there
    4) It's full of people having cybersex now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I stopped using it a few months ago, not out of choice but because it fcuking crashes as soon as I start a chat on it. I occasionally have to go on it to speak to family etc but have to do that through the hotmail website.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I stopped using it a few years ago. No idea why think I was just spending less time on the internet so wasn't logging in.

and it was buggy, very buggy, always crashing. Still log in ocassionally but it's still buggy and crashy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Aah the days when I was 13/14 when I would chat to my mates at school all day then get home and from 5-10 just chat to the same mates I talked to at school. :D

It was mainly for laying the groundwork with girls though let's be honest.

Now I've become a miserable bugger. I never use facebook chat, I don't call people because I'm never that bothered to speak to people and if someone messages me I never know what to say back!

MSN Messenger is still the most used IM software I think.

MSN will just be rolled into and replaced by the Skype frontend - integrates Facebook messenger too I think.

I bet microsoft balls up skype next :pac:

The Cool wrote: »
    I stopped it because

1) Skype took over
    2) It buggy as hell
    3) There'd be loads of random people adding me on there
    4) It's full of people having cybersex now.

I thought that's what skype was mainly used for to be honest?

smash wrote: »
    I thought that's what skype was mainly used for to be honest?

i thought boards pm's are used for that now ??? ;):pac:

i thought boards pm's are used for that now ??? ;):pac:
    Freddy... why are you winking at me. I'm not going to PM you!!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I stopped using it a few years ago, I just use Facebook and g talk now.

Anytime I log on, I have loads of requests from randomers, it's so annoying.

smash wrote: »
    Freddy... why are you winking at me. I'm not going to PM you!!!! :pac:

i have an eye twitch problem... please don't make fun of it :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ah no.. I still use this a bit, though yes it does seem that everything is on Facebook these days :mad: I have Facebook, but like Skype I never use it - Google talk is fine if you just want basic functionality.

What I liked about MSN is that when you strip off all the ads and rubbish with something like APatch and add in useful stuff with Messenger Plus, it was/is the most clean/useful of the IM clients out there.

I can't see myself suddenly switching to Skype - more likely I'll just have less friends! :o:p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ah good old ICQ.....thats where it was at during the late 90's,

Or just go old school and stay on irc for all your chat needs,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Rest in Peace x

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Skype and Facebook..

I used to love IRC though...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

If you have an ICQ account with a low username they sell for a good chunk of change in Russia.

Also IRC is alive and well, I'm currently active in 4 different channels and idling in about 10 others.
    Cabaal wrote: »
    ah good old ICQ.....thats where it was at during the late 90's,

Or just go old school and stay on irc for all your chat needs,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

good ould 90s/00s chat rooms

16/f/cali...wanna cyber?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

good ould 90s/00s chat rooms

16/f/cali...wanna cyber?

I take off my robe and wizard hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

I mainly use gtalk. As an IM client it isn't the best but most people have google accounts and it works reasonably well with multiple devices.

I also have Skype, but mainly for family members who can't cope with change. I've never even logged in to MSN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

eth0 wrote: »
    I take off my robe and wizard hat.
    Take it off?

not interested

Advertisement