Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trying to add protein to my diet

• 07-11-2012 1:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to increase my intake of protein throughout the day. I want to have approx 1gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, which is currently at 151 pounds.

Basically I want to bulk up. Currently 68.3kg, I want to get up to 75kg before christmas. Admittedly I have had a gain in my shoulders and biceps recently which I'm rather proud of, but now I can't seem to pass where I'm at at the moment. Its now that I want to blk up that I'm finding things difficult.

At current I take MaxiMuscle Progain and Optimum Nutrition creatine monohydrate after working out.

I read here that doing the serious lifts such as, deadlifts, bench press and squats release hormones that will develope muscles more. At only 18, if true I think this is crucial.

To give you a rough idea of my diet-

Breakfast- Varies between egg and toast, porridge, ready break and a cereal.

Lunch- Generally corn on the cob, soup, noodles, and sandwiches.

Dinner- I have a meat- pork, beef, chicken, stuff on that lines. Along with vegetables. Sometimes spag bol and other times chicken korma.

Twice a week I have chinese. Chicken Curry, Rice and Chips. Not fatty or greasy so its okay I think. Drinking is not a problem for me. I don't drink often. Coke and junk food though... that is a problem. But as much as I may eat of it my body fat % has never been above 11% in the past year that I have been monitoring it. I'd like to keep this the same while bulking up.

Definitely not 150grams of protein there per day. So I'd like some advice on what foods to eat that contain more protein and add too my bulking up.

Must add that I do cycle and play hurling quite a lot so cardio is going to hold my bulking up back a lil, I think? But its necessary for me so please don't ask to cut down or back.

Cardio for me involves-
    Whatever the coaches get us doing at training, which depending on the time of year can be intense or not. I'm still training GAA for U21 but that'll soon end.
    Then theres the bikes. I'm recently getting back into it after building my bike. Plans for this will be aiming to do 300-400km per week by possibly new year. Realistically will be 200-300km for the time being till I get back into things.
    Me and a mate do the odd run that usually lasts 30mins once a week. Also do a bit of swimming when muscles are tight or for recovery. Sauna too but thats not strenuous.

Any suggestions on dietary plans, training in the gym or anything else of the likes are welcome as long as they don't get into too much expense and are do-able.

Advertisement