Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Driving Test A Racket?

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Id have thought progress at lights would refer to stupid antics like not pulling away at a greenlight or a flashing amber light where safe or something like that.

Progress is to show that you can move at the proper speed and that you're cognisant of when to move without potentially causing delay to others. If I'm driving down a road and there's no one else around, I still need to go at the proper speed, I don't need to slow down to 15mph because, shure, there's no one else around. Same with the feeder light, if there's no traffic coming the opposite way, you don't need to wait for the feeder to come on. Also, just because there's no traffic behind you doesn't mean you can take your sweet time in the test. The tester wants to see you drive appropriately, irrespective of whether there's traffic behind you or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭timtime

This is ridiculous. You're saying that she is flagrantly breaking the law and it's the fault of the Irish testing centres because she hasn't got enough English to do a basic rules of the road test? Come on…

she already has a full Thai licence which they wont exchange for an Irish one, if she was from Taiwan they would change her licence for an Irish one,thats discrimination
    they have the theory test cd in a few other languages besides English , more discrimination.
    pretty simple really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

timtime wrote: »
    she already has a full Thai licence which they wont exchange for an Irish one, if she was from Taiwan they would change her licence for an Irish one,thats discrimination
    they have the theory test cd in a few other languages besides English , more discrimination.
    pretty simple really

There are a number of recognised exchange countries for licences. Maybe our licencing authority doesn't think the Thai licencing system stands up to scrutiny.

People from the USA have to go through the same process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

pretty simple really

lol.

Not providing the drivers test in Thai is not grounds for discrimination. That logic is ludicrous. Even so, I'd wager that if the test were available in Thai there would be an AH thread about how the RSA are wasting the taxpayers money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

my wife is Thai and has a full Thai driving licence but they wont exchange it for an Irish licence so she has to get an Irish one, the problem being she cant pass the theory test as she only has very basic English so it is impossible for her to pass the theory test, they dont the theory test in her own language, she needs to drive occasionally so she has no choice to drive without a licence and insurance,surely if they cant supply the theory test in her own language they should provide her with a provisional as they are not providing a proper service, they do cater for other languages but not her own, but they refuse to budge, surely its about being able to drive a car safely rather than about being able to speak a certain language, absolute joke of an organisation .

I passed my motorbike test in France with poor French at the time. I procrastinated about the theory (which was 18 chapters long), whether to translate it to my own language or learn it as it was in French. I chose the latter and looked up ever word I didn't understand and eventually my own French got better. It took time but I got there.
    If she is committed to living here she should bite the bullet and learn the lingo and the theory test is a great place to start.
    Meanwhile maybe she could apply for an international licence from Thailand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

The green light means you can proceed if it is safe to do so. If there are no oncoming cars, the light is green and you do not proceed then you don't understand the rules of the road. You make it sound like waiting for the filter when there's a green light is the correct thing to do - it's not. If there are no oncoming cars you make the turn otherwise you are holding people up. What you're suggesting is the equivalent of stopping at every Yield sign you see just because it's the safer option - of course it's safe but it holds people up. I have many gripes with the driving test but one of them certainly isn't how they mark progress. If you're driving too slowly, move off slowly or are too hesitant in making decisions you will be punished. I don't doubt you or your friend are good drivers or that his/her tester was in a bad mood but in this particular case it was an offense worth failing for. Maybe a more lenient instructor would have chalked it down as a grade 2 but that's just the luck of the draw.

I would love to see someone try this "conscientious driving" approach at half 8 in the morning and see what the reception is.

I don't think it's the same as coming to a complete halt at a yield sign. And as I said I would wait for the green arrow if there was one but not to the point where I was holding everyone up. I have driven in rush hour traffic and never caused anyone any frustration or had people who seemed annoyed.

Anyway I wasnt there and a going on my friends description but the whole thing sounded rather unnecessarily harsh in my opinon.
    Do you feel that the speed ramp issue was also an indicator that the driver was not progressing as he should have been?

lol.

Not providing the drivers test in Thai is not grounds for discrimination. That logic is ludicrous. Even so, I'd wager that if the test were available in Thai there would be an AH thread about how the RSA are wasting the taxpayers money.

they have the test in many languages,but not her own,so is clear discrimination, as i said if she had a Taiwan licence she could exchange it for an Irish one,you obviously dont understand the meaning of discrimination

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

We have no idea what the speed ramp issue was.
    They could have been very graduated and wide ramps where you just need to slow down a bit, then go straight back to making progress once you're on them; they could have been the ben dunne carlisle type where even going at 1 kph puts you at risk of losing half the car. Your friend could have been making reasonable progress, he could have been crawling to a stop unnecessarily and crawling over the whole yoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Do you feel that the speed ramp issue was also an indicator that the driver was not progressing as he should have been?

Probably, if he was slowing down at the beginning of the speed ramps to something like 5mph and stayed at that speed for whatever length of road had the speed ramps on it. You should speed up a bit between the ramps.

I passed my motorbike test in France with poor French at the time. I procrastinated about the theory (which was 18 chapters long), whether to translate it to my own language or learn it as it was in French. I chose the latter and looked up ever word I didn't understand and eventually my own French got better. It took time but I got there.
    If she is committed to living here she should bite the bullet and learn the lingo and the theory test is a great place to start.
    Meanwhile maybe she could apply for an international licence from Thailand.
    she cant get insurance with her international licence, she done the test twice.already and failed, maybe they should have the theory test in Irish only so we could all learn our own language, you would soon have people complaining then

• Advertisement

Probably, if he was slowing down at the beginning of the speed ramps to something 5mph and stayed at that speed for whatever length of road had the speed ramps on it. You should speed up a bit between the ramps.

There isnt much of a margin for speeding up to be fair. Unless they are many yards apart in which case I' sure he did speed up as necessary. I think it is very hard to believe that they were so far apart that he would have been driving painfully slowly in between each one. That sounds like the kind of driving Mr.Bean would be doing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

she cant get insurance with her international licence, she done the test twice.already and failed, maybe they should have the theory test in Irish only so we could all learn our own language, you would soon have people complaining then

Are you telling me your wife is driving with no licence and no insurance?
    And it's everyone else's fault because discrimination? And if an accident occurs is that going to be your excuse when you need to pay out, yeah? That's appalling.
    There isnt much of a margin for speeding up to be fair. Unless they are many yards apart in which case I' sure he did speed up as necessary. I think it is very hard to believe that they were so far apart that he would have been driving painfully slowly in between each one. That sounds like the kind of driving Mr.Bean would be doing.

Well he didn't proceed on a green light either, so maybe
    That's something he needs to take to his instructor and have them review how he drives around ramps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

There is never, ever an excuse for driving with no insurance.

And you are condoning it? :confused: :rolleyes:

bluewolf wrote: »
    Are you telling me your wife is driving with no licence and no insurance?
    And it's everyone else's fault because discrimination?

Well he didn't proceed on a green light either, so maybe
    That's something he needs to take to his instructor and have them review how he drives around ramps

He was being tested (by a fairly off putting tester it seems to me) so he didnt proceed like a racehorse straight out of the gates, that does not mean he sat there daydreaming either.

His instructor was happy with the way he drives and knowing him i can say its impossible to imagine him driving idiotically as in the worst case scenarios you have suggested, crawling between spaced out speed ramps, :D (understandably as you don't know him, so how are you to know).

I think the tester was in very bad humour and that is the crux of it.

He was being tested (by a fairly off putting tester it seems to me) so he didnt proceed like a racehorse straight out of the gates, that does not mean he sat there daydreaming either.

His instructor was happy with the way he drives and knowing him i can say its impossible to imagine him driving idiotically as in the worst case scenarios you have suggested, crawling between spaced out speed ramps, :D (understandably as you don't know him, so how are you to know).

I think the tester was in very bad humour and that is the crux of it.

Okay, it's all the tester's fault

bluewolf wrote: »
    Okay, it's all the tester's fault

There is an appeals process for a reason.

Valetta wrote: »
    There is never, ever an excuse for driving with no insurance.

And you are condoning it? :confused: :rolleyes:
    im absolutely condoning it, if they done
    the decent thing and give her a provisional licence she would be driving with a licence and insurance now, a friend of hers knows somebody who works in the theory test center offered to have her theory test passed but would cost her 300 euro back hander , i think thats her only option at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

my wife is Thai and has a full Thai driving licence but they wont exchange it for an Irish licence so she has to get an Irish one, the problem being she cant pass the theory test as she only has very basic English so it is impossible for her to pass the theory test, they dont the theory test in her own language, she needs to drive occasionally so she has no choice to drive without a licence and insurance,surely if they cant supply the theory test in her own language they should provide her with a provisional as they are not providing a proper service, they do cater for other languages but not her own, but they refuse to budge, surely its about being able to drive a car safely rather than about being able to speak a certain language, absolute joke of an organisation .

I hope she's caught for the sake of other motorists, driving without a valid license/insurance is stupidity of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

im absolutely confining it, if they done
    the decent thing and give her a provisional licence she would be driving with a licence and insurance now, a friend of hers knows somebody who works in the theory test center offered to have her theory test passed but would cost her 300 euro back hander , i think thats her only option at this stage

and if they gave her a learner's permit, would she go driving around on that on her own?

EazyD wrote: »
    I hope she's caught for the sake of other motorists, driving without a valid license/insurance is stupidity of the highest order.

discriminating is the stupidity of the highest order

• Advertisement

Can your wife hire an interpreter? It might be cheaper than the dodgy theory test!

Have you asked anyone if there's any help she can get because she really shouldn't be driving with no insurance and she obviously wants to get everything sorted out and do it legally. Maybe the citizens inforation or a solicitor could advise you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Not as stupid as driving with no insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Ah, it's okay folks. Turns out Timtime was a rereg troll.

Advertisement