Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gabriel Byrne says the Gathering is a scam.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I do think the website is a good idea as a one-stop-shop to look up local events that visitors would otherwise be unaware of when planning a trip, but could do without the clutter of John & Mary's wedding in Ballygobackwards.

I have been looking at other Irish sites aimed at tourists, some haven't been updated in donkey's years and advertise attractions that have long since closed.

They would still want to tackle the things that bother tourists the most, pricing and public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

The bitterness is strong in this one.
    Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Personally I'm sick of this pr*ck and others like him, Brendan Gleeson, Liam Neeson......popping back over here once every two years, appear on the Late Late Show or whatever, and lecture us on what a ****-hole it is and what a **** job we are doing with a country that he chooses not to live in..........

There were plenty of people here in this country questioning the gathering but they never made it to the front page of the Indo.

But some pr*ck who makes good in Amerikay, sucking on the tit of the worlds most unequal democracy, where 43 million people are food stamps...... well they gotta be listened to.....

To be honest, i'd blame the media for giving him exposure......everyones entitled to their opinion.....but for some reason his is up there in lights all the time.

What are you harping on about? You have actually got no clue what guys like Byrne do / have done for this country.

I was listening to some lady on Matt Cooper yesterday (I could find the podcast link if I had the time) and she knows Byrne personally. She disagreed with his views on the gathering, but she said that he has done remarkable work behind the scenes for different projects and charities and arts initiatives, and has wanted all of this to remain largely unknown to the public.

You mention 'popping over' every now and then. When someone goes abroad, you know, to live, their only option is to 'pop over' every now and then. If someone has achieved a very high level of success in many fields, people will listen to them because, in most cases, they are tuned in to what's going on, have a high level of intelligence, and are generally worth listening to.

Oh, and the fact that he was former Cultural Ambassador for Ireland also plays quite a significant part in that usually people who have had such roles bury their head in the sand after their tenure and see out the rest of their days keeping quiet. Byrne chose differently.

I think it's refreshing that he came out with this. This government (sadly) need to be told by people held in high regard that some of their ideas are not fantastic, for it to get picked up by the media. If a load of Joe Soaps got together, nobody would listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,004 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

At least the ones organising it will make a few quid out of it, with their salaries, expenses claims and all the freebies they'll get their hands on. That's the reason for someone dreaming it up isn't it?

If no-one turns up, they won't give a sh1t, because they will all have done well with the little jolly old pals earner.:rolleyes:

Then they can think of another hair-brained scheme to earn themselves even more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Fizman wrote: »
    The bitterness is strong in this one.

What are you harping on about? You have actually got no clue what guys like Byrne do / have done for this country.

I was listening to some lady on Matt Cooper yesterday (I could find the podcast link if I had the time) and she knows Byrne personally. She disagreed with his views on the gathering, but she said that he has done remarkable work behind the scenes for different projects and charities and arts initiatives, and has wanted all of this to remain largely unknown to the public.

You mention 'popping over' every now and then. When someone goes abroad, you know, to live, their only option is to 'pop over' every now and then. If someone has achieved a very high level of success in many fields, people will listen to them because, in most cases, they are tuned in to what's going on, have a high level of intelligence, and are generally worth listening to.

Oh, and the fact that he was former Cultural Ambassador for Ireland also plays quite a significant part in that usually people who have had such roles bury their head in the sand after their tenure and see out the rest of their days keeping quiet. Byrne chose differently.

I think it's refreshing that he came out with this. This government (sadly) need to be told by people held in high regard that some of their ideas are not fantastic, for it to get picked up by the media. If a load of Joe Soaps got together, nobody would listen.

have you any clue what he has 'done for this country'?

Cause you have given too much hint of it there.

How many jobs has Gabriel Byrne created for Ireland?

How much revenue has he generated for Ireland?

And if he hasnt done these things, then what has he done.......?

Either you know the answer......or you dont know. Which is it.

Cultural ambassador? Show up at a few cheese and wine parties? Tough gig.

Rich person does work for charity? Ego trip. They all do it. And they all want to make sure the world knows about it.

Yourself and Gabriel Byrne should go down to a Guesthouse in Mayo thats half empty most of the year and explain to them why you think this tourism push that could help them should be abandoned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Yourself and Gabriel Byrne should go down to a Guesthouse in Mayo thats half empty most of the year and explain to them why you think this tourism push that could help them should be abandoned.

So you are basically telling him to go "Into the West".

• Advertisement

mikom wrote: »

I am Tayto, I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

I/m inviting all my relations who left this corrupt no banana state in the fifties

back for a great gathering in the North West.....

First I'll bring them to see the relatives graves in the local graveyard...

then a day trip to Greevykeel Court Tomb....this is where we buried people
    thousands of years ago...

then a visit to Yeats Grave in Drumcliff....show them a more modern type of grave yard ...

next day a run up Knocknaree to see Queen Maeve's Tomb.....with great views of Donegal Bay and surrounding countryside.....Queen Maeve was buried there thousands of years ago ...still good for a few hours ...

then a visit to Carrowmore Burial sites.....loads of old tombs and graves all around the place , just outside Sligo....

then theres Kesh/ Keshcorran ...God, theres enough day trips in that area for at least a few days......passage tombs by the bucket full .....

Tara, Monisterboice, yer mans burnt head in Drogheda, ...feck I forgot the round towers.......

theres more to Ireland than just piddling pubs.....lots more.....

Cultural ambassador? Show up at a few cheese and wine parties? Tough gig.

Rich person does work for charity? Ego trip. They all do it. And they all want to make sure the world knows about it.

Are you trying your best to come across as a bitter begrudger? Because you're succeeding very well.
    have you any clue what he has 'done for this country'?

Cause you have given too much hint of it there.

How many jobs has Gabriel Byrne created for Ireland?

How much revenue has he generated for Ireland?

Jesus.....where do I begin?

I'll start with jobs.

TV show 'Bracken' was created because of his characters success in 'The Riordans'. This fact alone means that this TV series would have generated many jobs etc at the time. I'm sure otehr people involved in the production of that show have gone on to bigger and better things since, using that as a stepping stone.

Revenue.......he has generated a huge fan base abroad. It's most likely that at some point or other, people would have entertained the idea of visiting Ireland as a result, or at least it would have put the notion in their head.

His impact on revenue is intangible for many reasons, but he has generated more revenue than you.
    And if he hasnt done these things, then what has he done.......?

Either you know the answer......or you dont know. Which is it.

The Minister for Arts, Jimmy Deenihan describes Byrne as making “an outstanding contribution to the country” in his role. “His inspirational leadership of Imagine Ireland is helping to restore Ireland’s reputation at a critical time, breaking new ground for the next generation of Irish artists and helping them to find new audiences for their work in the US. Gabriel is a passionate advocate for the arts and for Ireland, and he brings enormous energy, vision and charisma to the role of Cultural Ambassador. The doors he has helped to open for Ireland and Irish artists in America this year offer huge opportunities for the years to come.”

So the criteria for doing something for your country (according to Tombo) is:

- Have you created jobs?
    - Have you generated revenue?

If no to either of the above, you have in fact done nothing.

Spare me.

I am Tayto, I am.

A movie which more than likely has sent a few tourists to that guesthouse in Mayo already.....

Have I created Jobs.

I've created as many as Gabriel Byrne.

But the difference between me and him is....

......I dont go aroung lecturing people about how the country is run.

I'm not a begrudger. He is a succesful guy. Good luck to him, I applaud him for that.

But being a succesful actor doesnt make him an authority on how to run this country. And I am tired of hearing him, and the likes of him, sneering at the people who are trying to run the country. Especially when they dont live here, and choose not to live here.

Thats my opinion.

If you dont like it, then we'll agree to disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Park Royal wrote: »
    I/m inviting all my relations who left this corrupt no banana state in the fifties

back for a great gathering in the North West.....

First I'll bring them to see the relatives graves in the local graveyard...

then a day trip to Greevykeel Court Tomb....this is where we buried people
    thousands of years ago...

then a visit to Yeats Grave in Drumcliff....show them a more modern type of grave yard ...

next day a run up Knocknaree to see Queen Maeve's Tomb.....with great views of Donegal Bay and surrounding countryside.....Queen Maeve was buried there thousands of years ago ...still good for a few hours ...

then a visit to Carrowmore Burial sites.....loads of old tombs and graves all around the place , just outside Sligo....

then theres Kesh/ Keshcorran ...God, theres enough day trips in that area for at least a few days......passage tombs by the bucket full .....

Tara, Monisterboice, yer mans burnt head in Drogheda, ...feck I forgot the round towers.......

theres more to Ireland than just piddling pubs.....lots more.....

Are you going to print up a t-shirt for them saying 'I saw dead people'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Have I created Jobs.

I'm not a begrudger. He is a succesful guy. Good luck to him, I applaud him for that.

But being a succesful actor doesnt make him an authority on how to run this country. And I am tired of hearing him, and the likes of him, sneering at the people who are trying to run the country. Especially when they dont live here, and choose not to live here.

Thats my opinion.

You don't like the message, shoot the messenger. If people had listened to the messengers before the Crash things might not be in their present state or, like Bertie, do you think anyone who speaks out should commit suicide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I think most people would rather watch Highlander 2 on a loop than get involved with it.

No one is going to punish themselves that much

False.

That's not the only difference between the two of you.

Thats my opinion.

So we should only listen to people who live here?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

I highlighted at one of the Gathering information meetings that it's our indigneous population at home we should be targeting. Most of us can't afford to go on a holiday abroad and alot of Irish people are staying at home. We should encourage them to attend events already in existence and help those orgaising events to promote them. I know I can get two weeks in Portugal for the cost of a weekend in Westport but if the Volvo Ocean race in Galway proves anything is that if the event id good enough and ran right people will attend and travel to it.Organisers of Just do it in Galway should be brought into Bord Failte to market Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

You don't like the message, shoot the messenger. If people had listened to the messengers before the Crash things might not be in their present state or, like Bertie, do you think anyone who speaks out should commit suicide?

Our politicians don't like criticism, especially if what has been said is true. Anyone who questions the wisdom of the state is dismissed as a whinger and moaner.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Fizman wrote: »

That's not the only difference between the two of you.

You seem to know an awful lot about me......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Have I created Jobs.

Thats my opinion.

does being a teacher make you an authority on running the country?

Dey turk urr turrizts! and turk urr jrrbs!

Anyways, why are we shooting barrels at "derk gubberment derka derr" when we should be going full tilt at anyone who uses this to have a gouge at the tourists coming?

bgrizzley wrote: »

well the Irish electorate seems to think so :D

Maybe we should do like the Americans did with Ronald Reagan.....

• Advertisement

bgrizzley wrote: »
    well the Irish electorate seems to think so :D

Maybe we should do like the Americans did with Ronald Reagan.....

The irony being that Gabriel used to be a teacher.

The irony being that Gabriel used to be a teacher.

makes him perfect for a ministerial role - I take it all back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

And the lesson again?

Why the same as it always is, 'how the Irish like to run their country and its people down':o ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

Hope they put Irish stew on the hotel menus !.....

Make our guests feel right at home.

Madam wrote: »
    And the lesson again?

Why the same as it always is, 'how the Irish like to run their country and its people down':o ffs!

See post #198 - any opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

The Gathering?

is this something to do with highlander?

either that or this...

See post #198 - any opinion?

On what, his choice of words or his opinion?

Madam wrote: »
    On what, his choice of words or his opinion?

Well you seem to adopt the same line as Bertie - shoot the messenger....

Well you seem to adopt the same line as Bertie - shoot the messenger....

Ah, so the naysayers are 'messengers'?:D Never in my life have I come across another nation who run themselves down as much as the Irish - those that still live there that is! You almost never hear of people who live and work outside of Ireland doing the same, if fact 'most' of them wouldn't hear a bad word said about the place they come from(well except for the price of the drink that is:)). Instead of moaning about the country why don't you 'messengers' think up some ways to improve your lot in the world - it doesn't help to alway be on the offensive by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Ha ha "Mr Miley said".

Mr Miley....well holy god.

Advertisement