Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very religious equals not very Christian.

Options
  • 06-11-2012 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭

I went to mass on Sunday mainly because one of the little ones has started school and is learning about God etc.
    We sat in front a few elderly people who knew all the mass prayers and responses and all the songs. The old lady had her handbag and hat on the bench that the OH was to be seated and wouldn't move them even after a few hints. We ended up virtually sitting on top of each other. As time ambled along my youngest a baby of a year and a half starting getting restless and was laughing and smiling at the people behind. I looked round and the gent gave me a scornful look shaking his head.
    As more mass went by the older child quietly went up the aisle generflected and sat down again. I heard the old lady tut and pfftt every time the children made some noises.
    On our way up to communion the old lady blocked our way and stood there with a face like a wrench as if say how dare we take her place before God.
    I found these people very unnearving with their prayers and masses and not a bit of Christian value in them. They are through first to give out about young people not going to mass and when we do go make us unwelcome.
    IMO; the more religious someone is the less Christian values they pocess.

Discuss.

I am actually going to go back next Sunday and sit in their seat just to rise them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Here we go again

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Pissing off old women in church. Do you have a death wish?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I hate people like that , especially people who tut .
    However what is sitting in their place going to achieve. Will it make you feel better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I am actually going to go back next Sunday and sit in their seat just to rise them.

Your're some lad to be talking about Christian values.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I went to mass on Sunday mainly because one of the little ones has started school and is learning about God etc.
    We sat in front a few elderly people who knew all the mass prayers and responses and all the songs. The old lady had her handbag and hat on the bench that the OH was to be seated and wouldn't move them even after a few hints. We ended up virtually sitting on top of each other. As time ambled along my youngest a baby of a year and a half starting getting restless and was laughing and smiling at the people behind. I looked round and the gent gave me a scornful look shaking his head.
    As more mass went by the older child quietly went up the aisle generflected and sat down again. I heard the old lady tut and pfftt every time the children made some noises.
    On our way up to communion the old lady blocked our way and stood there with a face like a wrench as if say how dare we take her place before God.
    I found these people very unnearving with their prayers and masses and not a bit of Christian value in them. They are through first to give out about young people not going to mass and when we do go make us unwelcome.

Discuss.

Well first off, instead of giving the old bag subtle hints that she should move her stuff and then when she didn't getting all insulted maybe you should have just asked her???

As far for the rest of your post, you seem to be judging all Christians based on your experiences with a few cranky old people at one of the millions of masses held over the world.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I think you're confusing "very religious" with "very pious," in the "hypocritical display of virtue" sense of the word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

It's not like they own the seat. He can sit where he wants.

Owlones go to mass for no other reason than to gossip outside afterwards. Busy bodies is what they're called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I find it hard to believe the church was so packed people were fighting for room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

keith16 wrote: »

Your're some lad to be talking about Christian values.
    But Im not religious.
    Its kind of a karma they ruined our mass going experience so Im going to put them out of their comfort zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,107 ✭✭✭✭looksee

They are not there to be Christian, they are there to be religious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

There are a lot of awful people in the world. You can only take solace that all of the old ones well be dead sooner rather than later.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The synonyms on thesaurus.com are somewhat telling.

http://thesaurus.com/browse/Christian?s=t
    Definition: moral, righteous
    Synonyms: Christian , clean, conscientious, correct, decent, elevated, equitable, fair, fitting, good, high-principled, honest, honorable, humane, just, kosher*, moralistic, noble, principled, proper, respectable, right, right-minded, square, straight, true blue, upright, upstanding, virtuous

Wat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

They're old school is all...thats all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

But Im not religious.
    Its kind of a karma they ruined our mass going experience so Im going to put them out of their comfort zone.

What has being religious got to do with it? So what if they were assholes to you, let it go man, life's too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,311 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Doesn't matter how packed or empty the place is, there'll always be a few die hards competing for a seat at the front. Much like roller coaster in that respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Depends, I've been to a few masses and some kids run riot, make lots of noise or are up and down on seats like it's a playground and the parents don't seem to mind...

So long story short, the old people were cranky or you should have taken your noisy kids into that room churches have for such a purpose.

Finally, seeing as this is AH I feel it's obligatory to let your children grow up first before forcing imaginary sky overlords upon them.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

Ya should have fcuked with their heads and offered them the paw at the sign of peace time...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,029 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Sit on the hat. Let one rip while you're at it.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Aren't the kids supposed to pick up the bullsh1t about their imaginary friend at home. If you're not delusional, why would you facilitate delusion in your kids? Just tell them that sometimes teachers tell stories to children, and sometimes they teach them stuff.

Unless you brought them along to holygod's waiting room to show them just how self-righteous and bitter they could become if they try really, really hard.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

endacl wrote: »
    Aren't the kids supposed to pick up the bullsh1t about their imaginary friend at home. If you're not delusional, why would you facilitate delusion in your kids? Just tell them that sometimes teachers tell stories to children, and sometimes they teach them stuff.

Unless you brought them along to holygod's waiting room to show them just how self-righteous and bitter they could become if they try really, really hard.

You're talking about Ireland. A country where the masses (:pac::pac:) don't believe half of what they're supposed to believe and are only catholic cos everyone else does it and it's 'Irish'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

MASS ****!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

endacl wrote: »

You want a Junior Infant to question the teacher about what's real and what's a story.
    I think I will let her develop a bit for a while and have her communion day out with her class etc.
    When she is older she can start to question these things herself just like most do.
    Its part of growing up.
    Its like going to see Santa and when the tooth fairy comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You want a Junior Infant to question the teacher about what's real and what's a story.
    I think I will let her develop a bit for a while and have her communion day out with her class etc.
    When she is older she can start to question these things herself just like most do.
    Its part of growing up.
    Its like going to see Santa and when the tooth fairy comes.
    True enough. And a girl needs a few quid in her pocket. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Remember that gospel passage in which Jesus berates people for being intolerant of children?
    It seems there are a lot of people who seriously need to do some re-reading...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Remember that gospel passage in which Jesus berates people for being intolerant of children?

'Treat others as you wish to be treated.' The bible doesnt have to spell it all out to you :L

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Or maybe they read gospels that were omitted from the bible, where Jesus killed a kid for bumping into him.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

Christianity gets too mixed up with conservatism and stuffiness.
    Often its an image thing, with Mr and Mrs Sunday suit and mercedes not listening or understanding a jott.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Ha, good luck with that. I can almost guarantee they will be there early so as to save "their" seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Discuss.

We have gotten the same treatment. We just tend to focus on ourselves and strive to live the Gospel. If someone gets to uppity in my face about my kids, THEN I'll let them have it in the nicest way possible.

Pray for them because everyone we meet in life is fighting a hard battle.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Lando, dont be tarring everyone with the same brush. Just because they were cnuts, doesn't mean all Christians are cnuts, no matter how religious you are or how seriously you take your Christianity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement