Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedging in Aldi 8th Nov.

Options
  • 04-11-2012 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭

Aldi have 10 packs of hedging for sale on Thursday 8th November for €3.99.

This is extremely cheap for hedging plants as they are usually around €1 to €3 a plant at least in garden centres.

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_24324.htm

Product_detail_Wk45_T_17.jpg

Choose from:

Acer Campestre
    Berberis Thunbergii Atropurpurea
    Fagus Sylvatica
    Prunus Spinosa
    Rosa Glauca
    Rosa Pimpinellifolia
    Rosa Virginiana
    Rosa Canina

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Thats a good bargain but These do have a tendency to not grow/establish.And they are also extremely small too.

Id rather put my faith and also a few extra euro in a propper garden nursery and buy bundles of bareroots.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

ive tried bare root, very cheap, anyone tried these before ? i got some established hedging and it didnt really take off that well

ive tried bare root, very cheap, anyone tried these before ? i got some established hedging and it didnt really take off that well

You need to know how to plant it,prune it and how to maintain it too.

You dont just stick it in the ground and thats it.

Im not saying thats what you did though.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I've never had a problem with any of the plants I bought in Aldi,some decent soil & compost mix really helps plants get established.

Slightly ot, but does anybody know what Aldi do with their plants that don't sell? I've seen them in my local one literally dying for the want of a drop of water.I asked a member of staff & all I got was "ah sure we reduce the price of them".By that stage nobody wants to buy them.

zerks wrote: »
    I've never had a problem with any of the plants I bought in Aldi,some decent soil & compost mix really helps plants get established.

Slightly ot, but does anybody know what Aldi do with their plants that don't sell? I've seen them in my local one literally dying for the want of a drop of water.I asked a member of staff & all I got was "ah sure we reduce the price of them".By that stage nobody wants to buy them.

I know that Aldi in Coolock will sell off plants on the cheap after about 1 week,or when they start to go OFFand DYE due to nobody watering them in the store.:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

the bare root ones i did are now 6 foot tall so i think i know how to treat and care for a plant, i just wanted to know if anyone tried these ones before ?
    the last ones i got from either aldi or lidl were a firethorn type of hedge, they are fine just not spreading like they are meant to

the bare root ones i did are now 6 foot tall so i think i know how to treat and care for a plant, i just wanted to know if anyone tried these ones before ?
    the last ones i got from either aldi or lidl were a firethorn type of hedge, they are fine just not spreading like they are meant to

Thats fair enough.

But you would be surprised how many people would not know about bare roots,soil conditioning and "root to shoot" pruning the second the bareroot is planted,and also regular watering and when/how to prune them in their 1st and and 2nd season too.Also when and how to "feed" the bareroots/hedge.

They then wonder why their bareroots look like shyte a year or 2 down the line.

Same goes for planting established rootball/potted hedging plants...if you dont know what you are doing,then they will fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

paddy147 wrote: »
    Thats a good bargain but These do have a tendency to not grow/establish.And they are also extremely small too.

Id rather put my faith and also a few extra euro in a propper garden nursery and buy bundles of bareroots.:)

Paddy I have to ask. Do you take a photo of everything you do?

Also, you seem convinced that your method or approach is the only correct one (on ANY topic). Ever considered that there are better ways of doing things?

quarryman wrote: »

Also, you seem convinced that your method or approach is the only correct one (on ANY topic). Ever considered that there are better ways of doing things?

In answer to your questions....

Most things are worthy of a picture.:)

Not convinced of my method is the only correct way on "any topic"..I ask many questions myself on boards.ie,about lots of "various subjects" and always like to learn.......so you are wrong about me there

But with regards to this....I know what works,and I know how to plant bareroots and how to maintain them,so that a full healthy hedge is obtained.My girlfriend taught me very well.

The various threads,pictures and posts on it,show it too.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

Sounds like a great deal,,,,, Will get them for sure... Thanks for the post :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭dodzy

quarryman wrote: »

Strange attitude considering that not so long ago...........

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81354117

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭peter_dublin

So did anyone actually buy these in the end ....

dodzy wrote: »
    Strange attitude considering that not so long ago...........

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81354117

Well I try to help Quarryman and back him up/defend him,but then he posts here complaining about me.:confused::eek::(

1st page of the same thread above....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056785342

Ah well,not my problem,so why should I be bothered about it.

Onwards and upwards.;):D

Dropped into the local Aldi today,to have a look at these bareroots.

10 per pack.

They are about 13-14 inches tall and have about 5 inches of a root system below them.Very very skinny and very brittle aswell,but I suppose,what can you expect for the priice

Loads of them still in boxes on a pallet.

Now compare them with bareroot bundles (25 per bundle) from a nursery (pics taken today) and you see what I mean about paying out more money and buying them in a propper nursery.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭dodzy

Ah paddy, will you f... Off with all the pics! :D

dodzy wrote: »
    Ah paddy, will you f... Off with all the pics! :D

I know,I know.
    I was going to say something myself,but I thought..."N'ah I will wait for someone else to say it"....;):D

Advertisement