Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drywall help - I can just take a hammer to it, right?

Options
  • 19-10-2012 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

So I've bought a mid 1970s house and the box room has pretty poor decor with sagging drywall and years of wallpaper.

I want to have a go at stripping it back and replacing it.

I have no experience in this area but am willing to learn.

There's so much wallpaper, I can't be bothered stripping it all and reckon it makes more sense to just remove the drywall and start again with a clean surface. To remove it, can I just take a hammer to it to start a hole and then tear away the rest?

Presumably then I'll be able to see the wooden joists and determine if they need replacing?

Any steps or guides online that cover this sort of thing?

Also, does it make sense to fill the gap between the joists with insulation?

Edit: found a good video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paWesV8GEqk

But now I'm wondering, since it's a an older house, will I even find drywall back there or will it be some form of plastered mess?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

yeah , just be careful theres no pipes or wiring.
    if its been damp and sagging then it will come away easily

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Replacing it with shelter board might be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

aujopimur wrote: »
    Replacing it with shelter board might be a good idea.

What is shelter board exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Insulated plasterboard/slab

Where do I buy that? What else do I need?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭meercat

why remove it
    cant you just slab over it

But what do I secure it to? Surely it makes more sense to go back to the brick? Also, am I not losing space that way?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

quarryman wrote: »
    But what do I secure it to? Surely it makes more sense to go back to the brick? Also, am I not losing space that way?

If you use 50mm or 80mm insukated slab,then YOU WILL loose space.

But the benifit is a very warm house.:)

Yes. But if I remove the existing drywall and then replace it with shelter board then surely the loss is minimal.

As opposed to just throwing it over the existing wallpaper.

Yes. But if I remove the existing drywall and then replace it with shelter board then surely the loss is minimal.

As opposed to just throwing it over the existing wallpaper.

Your existing plasterboard will probably be 12mm thick,and your battons (if any) will be 2 x 1 battons,so thats 25mm thickness.

So you are stripping back 37-40mm.

You will still loose some space by installing 50-80mm insulated slab if you take down the old plasterboard and install insulated slab.

But you gain a very warm comfy space.:)

BILD0315.jpg
    BILD0195.jpg

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »
    Your existing plasterboard will probably be 12mm thick,and your battons (if any) will be 2 x 1 battons,so thats 25mm thickness.

So you are stripping back 37-40mm.

You will still loose some space by installing 50-80mm insulated slab if you take down the old plasterboard and install insulated slab.

But you gain a very warm comfy space.:)

BILD0315.jpg
    BILD0195.jpg

Where did you buy that stuff Paddy? Did you install any of it yourself?

Where did you buy that stuff Paddy? Did you install any of it yourself?

Any builders providers will have it in stock.

You attach the 8 x 4 foot sheets to the walls with plastic or metal mushrooms.

You drill a hole through the insulated slab,and on into the wall itself.

Then you hammer in the mushroom to secure the insulated slab.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Easy enough to fit. Like Paddy said. Tape the joints and when you come to corners of windows use bonding to stick on the trim. Level it first. This can be skimmed over then after you have your window boards in. Keep the slabs up tight to the ceiling if you have a gap at the bottom you can fill it and the skirting will cover it after.

hang on here lads.
    the OP appears to be new to DIY
    personally i would suggest the insulated boards may be a bit much for the OP to fit.
    they are cumbersome and awkward to cut , they are not straightforward to fix to the studs either.
    i would suggest just sticking to standard boards.
    once stripped measure the joists and no harm in fitting 6 x 3 boards if you would find them easier to work with, the joists may not be set for 8 x 4 boards.
    your gonna have a few niggly things to work round , sockets to cut out and matching to the existing ceiling.
    but the plasterer will sort all that out for you.
    maybe even better to just strip the walls and let the plasterer board it for you.
    another bit of advice is to pull all the nails out , run your hammer up and down the joists to find stray nails and pull them out. doesnt matter if you hammer the odd awkward one in again but try to pull them all.

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    hang on here lads.
    the OP appears to be new to DIY
    personally i would suggest the insulated boards may be a bit much for the OP to fit.
    they are cumbersome and awkward to cut , they are not straightforward to fix to the studs either.
    i would suggest just sticking to standard boards.
    once stripped measure the joists and no harm in fitting 6 x 3 boards if you would find them easier to work with, the joists may not be set for 8 x 4 boards.
    your gonna have a few niggly things to work round , sockets to cut out and matching to the existing ceiling.
    but the plasterer will sort all that out for you.
    maybe even better to just strip the walls and let the plasterer board it for you.
    another bit of advice is to pull all the nails out , run your hammer up and down the joists to find stray nails and pull them out. doesnt matter if you hammer the odd awkward one in again but try to pull them all.

The OP asked me a question or 2.

I answered him.

Simple as that,and nothing more.

The OP may be very handy at DIY for all you know.
    He said that he had no experience in this area...........please read,before judging the man and his ability.

I want to have a go at stripping it back and replacing it.

I have no experience in this area but am willing to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

paddy147 wrote: »
    The OP asked me a question or 2.

I answered him.

Simple as that,and nothing more.

He said that he had no experience in this area...........please read,before judging the man and his ability.

Cool the jets man, I think hawk has a point as he says he is new to it but willing to learn. You need two people putting up these boards especially if they are 8x4 sheets. It is not a one man show imo. If you could get a guy that has done this before and give you a hand that would be the best thing and one of you can hold the boards and another drill and hammer. This way you are learning and saving yourself a few quid if you do it yourself.

yeah chill!
    i was only saying like, your idea is great but i felt is maybe a bit much for the OP.
    main thing is he can strip the board off and take it from there.

I'm not actually! But I can throw my hand at most things.

Anyway spent the morning ripping down the plasterboard with the multiple layers of wallpaper. Need a skip now!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p6a1zp491r1j6uz/2012-10-21%2015.53.57.jpg

'twas great fun. I reckon I could put the new boards up but might get a pro to skim and tape off to a higher standard than I can achieve.

proper demolition job there !!!! well done!
    those joists look all over the shop , id get someone in to give u a hand boarding it.

Best of luck with it Quarryman.

You sound and seem like a very determined man.....(judging by the pics).:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement