Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ask.fm - Am I missing something?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Its the most idiotic site I've seen like ever.. You put up your real name and picture, and you get bombed by anon people ? Sounds awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

imitation wrote: »
    Its the most idiotic site I've seen like ever.. You put up your real name and picture, and you get bombed by anon people ? Sounds awesome.

Yes you would have to be a bit strange to want to put up with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I thought Ask.fm was an online radio station :o

Now where'sh me falsh teesh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

OP all the other girls in the class hate you.
    And you're fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

You can block anyone that gives you abuse on there so there is no need to see what some fool is saying about you. Its a pointless site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

WindSock wrote: »

That was last.fm I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Like others I can't understand why kids continue to use this site, still feel sorry for the victims though.

And why is it ask.fm, sounds like a radio station.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,333 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If wearing your underpants on your face became the fashion tomorrow you couldn't stop the average school going teenager from doing it. Trying to stop them using whatever site is all the rage is similarly impossible and would be punishing the victim and not the people making the nasty comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

That was last.fm I think...

Penny drops.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

It's kind of like formspring as far as I've seen.
    When it's anonymous of course you're going to get dick heads writing ****. I doubt they even mean half the **** the write to be honest.

As for the Ask.fm situation with young teenagers using it. I guess it makes sense that they'd like the whole soap drama of it all, "Somebody in school fancies you" type of stuff.
    The problem is with the nasty stuff obviously not every kid is going to be able to handle it. But they probably want to know what people think of them or something....actually I don't have any idea. I'm 26 now and can't remember what way I thought at that age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

WindSock wrote: »

Me too :P
    But why is it '.fm'?
    I get the ask part sure. But .fm? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Where To wrote: »
    I was just having a wee nosey there this evening, and in between the bullying, intimidation, perving and downright disgusting questions that are asked, you'll get a gem such as

'What attracts tourists to your city?'

That is probably the most stupid question you could ask an angst ridden teenage girl.:pac:

Hmmm...

*gets trolling idea*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Me too :P
    But why is it '.fm'?
    I get the ask part sure. But .fm? :confused:
    .fm is the country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for the Federated States of Micronesia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.fm

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

I don't get the whole "appeal to teenagers" argument, seems like a load of bollocks to be honest. If I wanted to be anonymously abused over the internet I would've gone to 4chan...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Dean09 wrote: »
    Because kids are imbeciles.

Yes. The sooner women start giving birth to adults, the sooner the world improves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Rovi wrote: »
    .fm is the country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for the Federated States of Micronesia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.fm[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming it has sod-all to do with Micronesia?

Honestly, kids are fcukwits...signing up for a site to get the p*ss ripped out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Just tonight, my little sister showed me some of the things being said about her on this. She was being bullied in school until I had it out with her teachers, form tutor and principal over two weeks and threatened to get the board of management involved. It all settled down. She joined ask.fm. It started again.

Just made her delete her account a few minutes though and have got a tracker installed on the computer now for if she decides to go behind my back and make a new account.

It's just an easy way for people to be absolute cúnts, when they wouldn't have the balls to say that stuff in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

A site where one can post what ever they desire and be anonymous at the same is just asking for trouble to begin with .
    I made an ask.fm acc just to see what would be said. I deactivated it with all the abuse.
    I'm ****îng sick of keyboard warriors . If people has something to say they should grow some balls and say It to the person in real life .
    Ask fm refuse to take responsibility for the tragedies in the news and IMO rightly so . If your getting bullied just delete it , don't respond. It's just common sense .
    Also the girl who committed sucide recently because of ask.fm , her parents knew and they went to the guards.since its anonymous there's nothing they could do . But she kept going on it and replying to the abuse . Could anyone explain to me why someone would possibly do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Can your internet service provider block access to certain sites if you request it?

If so, perhaps the time has come for the government or eircom, upc, vodafone et al to run an awareness campaign on TV and in the papers advising parents of measures they could take.

Can your internet service provider block access to certain sites if you request it?

If so, perhaps the time has come for the government or eircom, upc, vodafone et al to run an awareness campaign on TV and in the papers advising parents of measures they could take.
    They could block it but proxies are so common anyways it wouldn't be worth it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭mckenzie84

I don't understand why anyone would go on it when they know they'll get abuse. A bit of common sense wouldn't go astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Signed up to see what it's all about. Load of crap. My kids are NEVER getting on ask.fm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

I'm sure Tim Berners-Lee did not have this sort of thing in mind.

Technology sure has made the traditional methods of bullying and stalking people redundant. Just like practically everything else.

lukesmom wrote: »
    Signed up to see what it's all about. Load of crap. My kids are NEVER getting on ask.fm
    The abuse is terrible and the questions aren't even questions

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

I think people should relax, nothing bad is really going to happen from it. Have teenage girl suicides increased over the past few years? My guess is they've dropped. One subject doesn't make for a good experiment, even though people are trying to use emotional blackmail over this ("how dare you point to statistics, she was a young girl you bastard!!!!" - yeah and what about all the other young girls that committed suicide over being too pushed around by their parents?).

You can't stop a person from saying a nasty thing to someone else, that's their right. Shur if you stopped that then nobody could ever know their true feelings about one another, it would all be censored. I would rather people be honest with me and I would try to do better if I could or maybe I would figure I am happy with myself as it is. :cool:

I don't believe in bad people, except if they use extreme force to control others. That's a bit of a stickler...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

It's the sheep mentality teenagers have, I think. In general, youngsters in that age bracket hate to stand out in any way. So I guess ask.fm is the "in" place just now. I've not seen enough of the site to comment but there really should be moderators on there. All you have to do is look at somewhere like politics.ie to see what happens when the lunatic fringe start rocking in the aisles.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

I think people should relax, nothing bad is really going to happen from it. Have teenage girl suicides increased over the past few years? My guess is they've dropped. One subject ...

Great question, any stats on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

pabloh999 wrote: »

Great question, any stats on this?

Suicide rates 2011 as per Central statistics office Ireland. Suicides Rose by 7% last year.

439 men
    86 women

No figures given out on teenage female suicide rates for last year. For males the age 19-24 bracket seems to be the most prevalent for dying of suicide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Hopefully, there's won't be a spate of copycatting after a highly public case.

I'm all for free speech and all, but this pointless and seemingly unregulated site should be shut down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

If I had to guess, I'd say the reasons people keep going back on it are a) an act of defiance. Like if some one is bullied because they wear a yellow hat then the "obvious" thing is to stop wearing the yellow hat. But why should they change their behaviour when the bullies should change theirs? And b) paranoia. It's all well and good to not get involved in a particular site but that doesnt stop some person setting up an account in your name or "asking" everyone "Do you think *movingsucks*is an ugly you know what?(insert worse insults here)" And then you go into school the next day and there's a lot of sniggering and then someone comes up and gleefully tells you about it. So then you take to the site to defend yourself thinking everyone in school, the town, the country, the WORLD has seen this.

I don't believe this stuff is truly anonymous either surely the IPs could be traced?

Advertisement