Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE DJ's have shows axed...how would they react?

Options
  • 03-11-2012 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72,140 ✭✭✭✭

The recent news about Danny Baker's show got me-ta thinking...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056796896

Picture the scenario...a DJ working for RTE discovers their show is going to be axed...how do you think they would react?

Which DJ's would politely thank the bosses and go out quietly?

And who do you think will be the loose cannons and leave with a full-on foul-mouthed tirade?

I would put Ryan Tubridy in the former category, I can imagine Rick O'Shea would do the latter. Derek Mooney (or Brek) won't leave without letting some gossip about an RTE boss slip! Byyyyyyyeeeeeee!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭GSF

They would just call their uncle or daddy or cousin in RTE mangt and have the decision reversed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

And who do you think will be the loose cannons and leave with a full-on foul-mouthed tirade?

That would require a personality.
    You ain't gonna find that at cardboard RTE.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Tubbs would probably laugh it off as he will ultimately end up with his part time employers over at the BBC on a permanent basis anyway.

Joe Duffy would just raid the Liveline fund to help him see out his days.

Myles Dungan would probably write a play in the style of a greek tragedy to describe his de-throning.

RTÉ would never dream of trying to move Pat Kenny. Here's why -
    He probably has squatters rights in the place.

Marion Finnucane earns more than RTÉ so they're not going to touch her.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Haha Lapin love the Pat Kenny jibe but only funny cause it is true!

In relation to Ryan Tubridy how long do you think BBC listeners would put up with that plank?
    Can't see him lasting 3 months there to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Myles Dungan would put together a show about the history of his show..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

The recent news about Danny Baker's show got me-ta thinking...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056796896

Picture the scenario...a DJ working for RTE discovers their show is going to be axed...how do you think they would react?

Which DJ's would politely thank the bosses and go out quietly?

I would put Ryan Tubridy in the former category, I can imagine Rick O'Shea would do the latter. Derek Mooney (or Brek) won't leave without letting some gossip about an RTE boss slip! Byyyyyyyeeeeeee!

This is why you don't cancel shows and then let the presenter go on air to say their goodbyes. Mooney gets very annoyed when he reads out critical comments, I think he would give a farewell rant. But I would dearly love to hear Joe Duffy's final Liveline. I reckon he would be calling for Quinn style civil unrest, ordering the Ballyer Militia to mobilise and surround RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Lapin wrote: »
    Tubbs would probably laugh it off as he will ultimately end up with his part time employers over at the BBC on a permanent basis anyway.

Joe Duffy would just raid the Liveline fund to help him see out his days.

Myles Dungan would probably write a play in the style of a greek tragedy to describe his de-throning.

RTÉ would never dream of trying to move Pat Kenny. Here's why -
    He probably has squatters rights in the place.

Marion Finnucane earns more than RTÉ so they're not going to touch her.

:pac:

Because he's the best current affairs radio presenter in the country

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Because he's the best current affairs radio presenter in the country

I agree, but since when did those who make the decisions in RTÉ take such criteria into account ?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

GSF wrote: »
    They would just call their uncle or daddy or cousin in RTE mangt and have the decision reversed.

Yeah, 'cos all of the 1,900 staff working in RTE has a relative in management.

Didn't help anybody who got a 30% pay cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,140 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

John Clarke definitely will not go quietly...especially after his comments about Hector! Methinks a few RTE bosses will get a bashing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 undergroundeye

What did John Clarke say about Hector? Internal unrest!!!:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 72,140 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

What did John Clarke say about Hector? Internal unrest!!!:D:D:D:D

Clarke was a bit peeved that Hector was being given the red carpet treatment upon his arrival at 2fm, yet at the same time, the always excellent Brendan Balfe appeared to be quietly sidelined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Clarke was a bit peeved that Hector was being given the red carpet treatment upon his arrival at 2fm, yet at the same time, the always excellent Brendan Balfe appeared to be quietly sidelined.

That was it, John Clarke is a strange position being a former boss of the station but still on air. He seems to have been there forever.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68328421
    RadioCity wrote: »
    I usually listen to most of this show, indeed the only thing I make a point of listening to on 2FM these days. As it turned out I only got to catch a small part of it and I thought I heard John say something and I wanted to go back to listen again on the RTE website.

As is the case on presenter will plug another's show and John was telling the listeners that all the 2FM presenters were decending on Galway to 'welcome' Hector to the station. In almost the same breath he remarked that Brendan Balfe retired a fortnight previously after 46 years at RTE and "there wasn't one person on the footsteps".

It probably passed by most people who were listening, but it shows how strongly John felt about a radio legend departing without fanfare -the man whose voice was one of the first on the then Radio 2.

Advertisement