Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone else had this experience with microbeads?

Options
  • 02-11-2012 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi all,

I recently got microbead hair extensions. She used Remy hair, but I was quite unhappy with them as they were very thin and really looked like extensions. I told the girl who had done it that I didn't like how thin they looked and she assured me that if I waited a week and washed them they would become a bit thicker. She also put some more in the top of my head. (But told me that she shouldn't really, because the beads may show).

Anyway, it's been 4 days and they're still quite thin looking, I do like them but I paid for a full head and it doesnt look like a full head to me... Also, my scalp feels very itchy and irritated, and they are still painful to sleep on.

Just wondering if this is normal for microbeads, has anyone else gone through this process?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Klurton wrote: »
    Hi all,

I recently got microbead hair extensions. She used Remy hair, but I was quite unhappy with them as they were very thin and really looked like extensions. I told the girl who had done it that I didn't like how thin they looked and she assured me that if I waited a week and washed them they would become a bit thicker. She also put some more in the top of my head. (But told me that she shouldn't really, because the beads may show).

Anyway, it's been 4 days and they're still quite thin looking, I do like them but I paid for a full head and it doesnt look like a full head to me... Also, my scalp feels very itchy and irritated, and they are still painful to sleep on.

Just wondering if this is normal for microbeads, has anyone else gone through this process?

Sounds dodgy, how much did you pay?

Mine never hurt, aren't in the top part of my head and never looked like extensions.

In my place a full head is 200, how many do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Klurton

I paid 150 for a full head.. Not sure how many there are but it feels like alot, they just look quite thin. She told me they would thicken up within a week but it's been a fortnight now and not much difference... They're not too bad, they're just not what I expected. My scalp also feels quite itchy and and I still can't tie my hair up because it's sore. My hair is quite short naturally so maybe that's why they look thin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

She sounds like a total, chancer, tbh. Extensions never thicken up, they tend to actually thin out a bit as they shed any loose hairs in the first couple of weeks.

Yeah I couldn't get my head around that logic myself to be honest, but she assured me I would notice a difference in thickness once I washed them.. Is an irritated scalp normal? Really annoyed now if I've been ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Yeah I couldn't get my head around that logic myself to be honest, but she assured me I would notice a difference in thickness once I washed them.. Is an irritated scalp normal? Really annoyed now if I've been ripped off.

No, that all sounds very dodgy. But I do pay more than 3 times the price of what you paid for yours. I tend to find there are no bargains with these kinds of things. The feeling I have them I get them in is 'wow' rather than 'not too bad'. It shouldn't hurt either. Maybe feel a bit heavy for a day or two but not actual pain.

• Advertisement

Pythia wrote: »

No, that all sounds very dodgy. But I do pay more than 3 times the price of what you paid for yours. I tend to find there are no bargains with these kinds of things. The feeling I have them I get them in is 'wow' rather than 'not too bad'. It shouldn't hurt either. Maybe feel a bit heavy for a day or two but not actual pain.

It's been over 2 weeks now, my scalp is itchy with small lumps on it and my hair looks quite lank.. Can't tie them up coz it's painful which is very annoying.

I don't know what to do next as I have already spoken to her about this issue and she put in a few more which made a bit of a difference considering when they were first in they looked TERRIBLE. I was embarrassed to be out in public with them and was near tears when I got home after she did them.

It only took about 2 hours to do which didn't seem like much either. Ugh, very annoyed now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

To be honest, if you paid 150 euro for a full head, she likely did a 1 day course in Hairspray and is now a "hair extension technician" who uses cheap hair.

You wouldn't even be able to buy enough Remy hair for a full head for 150 euro, let alone the cost of labour on top of that.

Magenta wrote: »
    To be honest, if you paid 150 euro for a full head, she likely did a 1 day course in Hairspray and is now a "hair extension technician" who uses cheap hair.

You wouldn't even be able to buy enough Remy hair for a full head for 150 euro, let alone the cost of labour on top of that.

She's a hairdresser, I know for sure because she knows a friend of mine who is also a hairdresser from working in the same salon.

I txt her today and told her my scalp is itchy and still so sore I can't tie them up and she said 'Use some head and shoulders' .... I also asked her how many strands she used and she said 200 which I highly doubt is true.

She gave me the outer pack of hair to show me instructions for looking after them so I know they're remy.. I think she must have just given me half a head and claimed it was a full head. Really thinking of asking for my money back and just getting them done by someone reputable!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭abrr1000

Jesus Christ that sounds awful!

If they are itchy and sore - she applied them too close to the scalp and at a wrong angle - this is very bad and can cause headaches as well as itching and flaking and even alopecia! Are they much longer than your own hair? You need to get them out ASAP

The price is too good to be true. It could be that you are her first customer after training and she's using you for practice so that's why its cheap - good hair doesn't come cheap. AND She told you to use Head and Shoulders? That stuff would destroy the extensions as its treated dead hair - you need to use the most gentlest shampoos and conditioners on it. Oh dear

Hair doesn't thicken up - it thins out as previous poster mentioned. That's absolute bull - you are very gullible if you believed that.

And finally: If you want confirmation on how many strands were used - why not ask a friend to count them for ya! If there's not 200 you want to be getting your money back. Actually tell her that was a shabby job and get the money back anyway. I can guarantee a reputable extensionist wouldn't touch those extensions for ya until they are out.

I really feel sorry for you - the result should be wow and not embarrassment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

She's a hairdresser, I know for sure because she knows a friend of mine who is also a hairdresser from working in the same salon.

I txt her today and told her my scalp is itchy and still so sore I can't tie them up and she said 'Use some head and shoulders' .... I also asked her how many strands she used and she said 200 which I highly doubt is true.

She gave me the outer pack of hair to show me instructions for looking after them so I know they're remy.. I think she must have just given me half a head and claimed it was a full head. Really thinking of asking for my money back and just getting them done by someone reputable!!!

Just because she's a hairdresser doesn't mean she's had proper training in hair extensions. As I said before, she could have just gone on a 1 day course. Hair extensions are not usually included on hairdressing courses.
    She could have used 200 strands but each strand may only have been 0.5g which is total 100g on your head- a minimal amount unless your own hair is pretty fine, or already quite long.
    If the extensions are still hurting I'd suggest getting them removed, it sounds like they've been applied too close to your scalp which can damage your own hair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

OP, I suggest you get them removed IMMEDIATELY! It sounds like she made a complete mess of them. I'd go back, ask her to remove them, and ask for your money back. €150 is very cheap for microbeads, but is still a good chunk of money.

When I got mine in first I felt fabulous, and they looked fabulous, if you paid good money you deserve that feeling too. I found the first 2 or 3 days to be a bit uncomfortable, but by the end of the week I barely even knew they were there. I only paid €150 (Groupon deal, normally €300) for mine too, and the quality seems world apart. My hair still looks really thick and I've only lost one strand since I got them in over 3 weeks ago.

abrr1000 wrote: »
    Jesus Christ that sounds awful!

If they are itchy and sore - she applied them too close to the scalp and at a wrong angle - this is very bad and can cause headaches as well as itching and flaking and even alopecia! Are they much longer than your own hair? You need to get them out ASAP

The price is too good to be true. It could be that you are her first customer after training and she's using you for practice so that's why its cheap - good hair doesn't come cheap. AND She told you to use Head and Shoulders? That stuff would destroy the extensions as its treated dead hair - you need to use the most gentlest shampoos and conditioners on it. Oh dear

Hair doesn't thicken up - it thins out as previous poster mentioned. That's absolute bull - you are very gullible if you believed that.

And finally: If you want confirmation on how many strands were used - why not ask a friend to count them for ya! If there's not 200 you want to be getting your money back. Actually tell her that was a shabby job and get the money back anyway. I can guarantee a reputable extensionist wouldn't touch those extensions for ya until they are out.

I really feel sorry for you - the result should be wow and not embarrassment.

It's horrible, they seem to be getting more and more sore too. I never believed the thickening up thing, but she seemed very genuine. 'I PROMISE they'll thicken up please trust me! Girls always txt me saying 'Ah I feel awful now you were right they look great!' ..

I should have known that 150 was too good to be true. Really annoyed now. I don't want her to take them out tho as I don't trust her at all with my hair.

OP, I suggest you get them removed IMMEDIATELY! It sounds like she made a complete mess of them. I'd go back, ask her to remove them, and ask for your money back. €150 is very cheap for microbeads, but is still a good chunk of money.

When I got mine in first I felt fabulous, and they looked fabulous, if you paid good money you deserve that feeling too. I found the first 2 or 3 days to be a bit uncomfortable, but by the end of the week I barely even knew they were there. I only paid €150 (Groupon deal, normally €300) for mine too, and the quality seems world apart. My hair still looks really thick and I've only lost one strand since I got them in over 3 weeks ago.

I looked in the mirror and I looked ridiculous!! Such a difference. What an unfair thing to do. I'll make sure I tell everyone NOT to go to this girl.

Chances are other extensionists won't remove them for you as they'll want nothing to do with any potential damage from those extensions and also you may have to pay up to €100 to get them out elsewhere.

See if she'll take them out first and ask for your money back. Tell her you get bad headaches from them - she'll have to take them out.

I looked in the mirror and I looked ridiculous!! Such a difference. What an unfair thing to do. I'll make sure I tell everyone NOT to go to this girl.

I'd do exactly that. As a girl she should know how important hair can be, i'd demand a refund, and have them removed. If she refuses to refund you id make sure to name and shame her in every avenue you can! What you're going through is not normal, and is absolutely, 100% not ok!

I'd do exactly that. As a girl she should know how important hair can be, i'd demand a refund, and have them removed. If she refuses to refund you id make sure to name and shame her in every avenue you can! What you're going through is not normal, and is absolutely, 100% not ok!

Thanks for your understanding Cupcake, it's an awful situation! I have contacted her, asked her to remove them and give me a refund but as yet have heard nothing back.

I'll keep you updated!

Thanks for your understanding Cupcake, it's an awful situation! I have contacted her, asked her to remove them and give me a refund but as yet have heard nothing back.

I'll keep you updated!

Do! And don't let her away with! Hope you get them sorted soon!

Ok so the update is, I went into Hairspray who confirmed that a bad job had been done on my hair. With this information, I got in contact with the girl who did the extensions and asked for a refund. She told me that she does not do refunds but that she would loosen them for me.

After a debate about why I deserve my money back I realised I was getting nowhere and would not be getting a refund, so I agreed to let her loosen them and will have to make do.

Hopefully this will serve as a lesson to other girls - be very careful with who you let apply your hair extensions, particularly if they add you on Facebook! The girl who did mine seemed very nice and genuine, but obviously was not.

I've learned my lesson ;/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Ok so the update is, I went into Hairspray who confirmed that a bad job had been done on my hair. With this information, I got in contact with the girl who did the extensions and asked for a refund. She told me that she does not do refunds but that she would loosen them for me.

After a debate about why I deserve my money back I realised I was getting nowhere and would not be getting a refund, so I agreed to let her loosen them and will have to make do.

Hopefully this will serve as a lesson to other girls - be very careful with who you let apply your hair extensions, particularly if they add you on Facebook! The girl who did mine seemed very nice and genuine, but obviously was not.

She doesn't do refunds?? OP, I would be taking her to the small claims court so. €150 is too much to let her off with and think how many other people she is probably doing this to as well. :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Valentina wrote: »
    She doesn't do refunds?? OP, I would be taking her to the small claims court so. €150 is too much to let her off with and think how many other people she is probably doing this to as well. :mad:

That's what I was thinking.

Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 Citizens Information page
    If you have a contract with a supplier of services you can expect that:

-The supplier has the necessary skill to provide the service
    -The service will be provided with proper care and diligence
    -The materials used will be sound and that goods supplied with the service will be of merchantable quality

I don't think your hairdresser fulfilled any of the above.

OP if you want to pursue further, start keeping a record of any contact and take pictures of your hair/scalp.

• Advertisement

Op, don't let her off so easy! I'd say if you even mentioned the small claims court to her she'd be falling over herself to give you a refund. If she's done this to you she's doing it to others too!

And chances are she's not VAT registered - so you'll get her in a whole heap of trouble with the taxman too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Professional Extensionist

This is my very first time on Boards.ie so I hope you get this mesage. ALL of you who are worried about Hair Exensions, the damage it may or may not cause or being "ripped off"

There are a lot of people out there to make a quick buck, so I am going to give you the GOLDEN RULES of extensions!!

Rule No 1 for getting extensions, any type of extensions, ASK from what COUNTRY does the hair originate from. To explain my meaning, when you ask the question, WHAT type of hair is it, and you will be given a BRAND name, THATS NOT AN ANSWER. Trust me, when I say, you can and WILL be told, so easily,that its European hair or that it comes from ......... and you take the persons word for it, because thats what a lot of Irish people do!! - DONT Do That here, its your hair that they are adding hair to, you have the right to ask the question and be given truthful answer. ASK WHAT COUNTRY it comes from, or its ORIGIN, o not ask where does it come from!! The reason I beg you to ask this question is, often the Hair Extensionist themselves have been mislead. The hair starts with the raw material, which will be in one country or many countries, then it goes to a Manufacturer, in another country, then it arrives to its destination with a Brand Name on it. This is the most common misconception regarding hair used for Hair Extensions Once you establish that you have a truthful honest and knowledgeable person, working on your hair and once you have established that RULE NO 2, the persn inserting the extensions for you is both Certified/Qualified and Experienced, then, trust me, most other problems do not even appear THEREFORE never become an issue. :)
    PE

Thank you all for your input, I had never even thought of small claims court!

I am still trying to decide the best course of action, a full refund or threat of the small claims court seems to be the way to go though.

Really just want the hair out at this stage. It's quite dry and damaged looking already and although the pain has subsided to an extent, the beads are visible when I tie my hair up which I assume should not be the case..

Doesn't help she told me if I like the messy look I don't need to brush them, and really gave me no tips for looking after them at all. Awful.

PE - thank you for your advice, I'll make sure to ask the origin of the hair from now on. That's if I ever get extensions again, which I doubt after this terrible experience. Ugh. :(

Also, for those of you who have a knowledge of hair extensions, she told me she paid €120 for the Remy hair she used for me.

Does this sound correct?

Ye she well could have - €120 sounds about enough for 3 packets of hair - so about 75 strands. Maybe she got more strands if the hair was cheaper and worse quality.
    But that means she only charged you what 30 euro? That means she was training on you then?
    Either way it doesn't matter what she paid for the hair if she couldn't stand by the quality of her work.
    Tell her she should have practiced on doll's heads a bit longer.

Doesn't help she told me if I like the messy look I don't need to brush them, and really gave me no tips for looking after them at all. Awful.

This sounds like she had no extensions training at all.
    As part of aftercare training they explain that hair must be brushed really well regularly with a special hairbrush with loops for bristles to avoid extension hair tangling into your own hair and forming dreads.

abrr1000 wrote: »
    This sounds like she had no extensions training at all.
    As part of aftercare training they explain that hair must be brushed really well regularly with a special hairbrush with loops for bristles to avoid extension hair tangling into your own hair and forming dreads.

Good lord. Feel like such a fool now for trusting someone who added me on the internet :mad:

Good lord. Feel like such a fool now for trusting someone who added me on the internet :mad:

Yeah, I was given a double sided print out with care instructions on it, even given a free tangle teaser! I'm sorry you had to learn this lesson the hard way, but try not let it put you off, extensions can look beautiful when they're done right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

OP, please don't let this charlatan put you off trying extensions again! Just make sure you fully pursue your refund, she should not be left off on this!

Advertisement