Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If the UK breaks up...how about a Celtic union?

Options
  • 02-11-2012 2:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

A union between Ireland/Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales?

All have similar population numbers and political aspirations. Not to mention strong cultural ties.

Do you think it could work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Rangers/Rovers

Good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭LincolnsBeard

Rangers/Rovers

Good luck with that.

Keltic, not Seltic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Dear god no,we already have a big enough black hole of an economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

in before...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Unions cause us enough problems and you want more?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

No.

Batterd Mars Bars & a Battered Economy.

A marriage made in Hell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

No.......And I mean NO.
    What a silly idea.
    There is some Anti Irish /Catholic sentiment in Scotland...and why ??? We are apart of the EU.

There is really no cultural ties. I was in Scotland over the summer and England they have no real ties with Ireland and they do with England.

It makes no sense. Anyway I don't think Scottish independence will happen.

And why would we join another union..we fought for independence..no

We have little in common...lovely countries but no

Why is there so much about unions recently the EU the UK?? Whats up???

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭LincolnsBeard

Why is there so much about unions recently the EU the UK?? Whats up???

Just pondering the question no need to get your knickers in a twist there buddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

No. Fuhken. Way.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DonLimon

Nice idea but it wouldn't have any real benefit assuming that each country stays within the EU, if there's no trade taxes or visa restrictions already then whats the point of a union? Besides England will always will always be the largest trade partner for all countries concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I hope the UK don't break up bbz. They were a lovely couple. Mwah xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Poverty^3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

I think it would be a good and interesting idea.
    Would it work? probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

You would only have the Picts and the Caledones at each others throat, while the Gauls would be off robbing everyone blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

But the Irish are not Celts. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Why not have strong co-operation between each of the independent countries? England included.

Isn't that just replacing England with Ireland in the existing UK, even if you weren't to call it that? Sure why don't we take Cornwall off them and all just to spite the fcukers:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

If it means Irn-Bru on Irish shelves then I'm for it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

No.......And I mean NO.
    What a silly idea.
    There is some Anti Irish /Catholic sentiment in Scotland...and why ??? We are apart of the EU.

facking hell, that's bizarre even for AH standards

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

yes and then we can invite England, France Spain and all the other European Nations to join our union too..........everyone but the Chermans, they can have their own union

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭megafan

Could you imagine if it did happen.....? 1st thing on the agenda would be the split!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,011 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

BBDBB wrote: »
    yes and then we can invite England, France Spain and all the other European Nations to join our union too..........everyone but the Chermans, they can have their own union

It would be a great shame to let the Germans waste all that hard cash on themselves. We'd be doing them a favour if we asked them to join. It would give them a warm glow thinking how charitable they would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

What about Brittany, Cornwall and the isle of man.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭raymann

all opinion polls point towards a no vote for independence by scotland anyway. it appears that an independent scotland would need to use the euro so would effectively hand over powers from london to brussels. with the crisis thats going on at the moment, in a couple if years, a much more federal europe could result in all member states having much less power over their taxes than they have at the moment. ironically we have contributed to that as much as anyone.

there is a strong pro independence undercurrent amongst irish people because its seen as a slight on england. personally i think a broke up uk results in a worse trading environment for ireland so i am against it. thankfully it appears the scots are as well.

this beggar thy neighbor mentality that so many irish have sits alongside gombeenism and parish pump politics as to the main reasons why me and many, many other young dynamic people are not living in ireland right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Ireland and Scotland are worlds apart for a union. In general you will find a greater acceptance for Irish people by English people rather than by Scottish people. On the whole the Scottish populace would have a much closer relationship with the Unionist communities of Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

D-Generate wrote: »
    Ireland and Scotland are worlds apart for a union. In general you will find a greater acceptance for Irish people by English people rather than by Scottish people. On the whole the Scottish populace would have a much closer relationship with the Unionist communities of Northern Ireland.

Not true. Some Scots have a close relationship with Unionists in NI, some Scots have close relationship with Irish people in all of Ulster and some Scots have zero relationship with either side. Its this latter bunch who are the driving force behind the SNP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

The trouble with Scotland is that it's full of Scots.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

raymann wrote: »
    the main reasons why me and many, many other young dynamic people are not living in ireland right now.

I'd say you'd ride yourself if ye could :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Call it Greatest Britain, just to troll them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Keltic, not Seltic.

actually, it's really Seltic....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2007/may/30/theknowledge.sport

Advertisement