Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Obama Go Down As The Greatest US President Ever??

Options
  • 02-11-2012 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

So I was reading a set of bbc experts asking who the greatest US president is of all time, its nearly two years old but its quite interesting nonetheless

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12195111

Not suprisingly FDR is ranked as the greatest, but what suprises me is after just under two years Obama is already ranked inside the top 10:
    Obama's score reflects his substantive legislative achievements and his symbolic importance as the first African American president. Nevertheless, it is well to note with regard to his ultimate (rather than interim) rating that no president in the UK survey top 10 failed to win re-election to a second term.

Obama would have been ranked 8th, ahead of Reagan thus already after two years is ranked as the greatest president since 1950! This is even before he killed Bin Laden!

I'm a bit perplexed by Obama's popularity tbh, at the moment he's possibly predicted to lose the popular vote, by as much as a 1 percentage point (ok I'm going on RCP but RCP got Obama to win by 7.6 last time and it was 7.2 so they were pretty close!).

But its hardly a ringing endorsement to lose the popular vote to someone like Mitt Romney if you're going to be one of the greatest presidents ever!

So is Obama set to overtake FDR by the end of his second term, even if unemployment remains high and economic problems persist. What do you think?

Will Obama Go Down As The Greatest US President Of All Time?? 157 votes

Yes probably
    0% 0 votes
    No almost definitely not
    9% 15 votes
    Uncertain, wait till after his second term
    90% 142 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Cybercubed wrote: »
    ...then why wont David Cameron be known as our greatest PM if he does the same?? ...
    Because he isn't our PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

But he is Micky D's BFF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Cybercubed

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Because he isn't our PM.

Sorry I wrote that on a UK forum, *edits out*.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

No. Back in the day when the USA just started off with having presidents they had real presidents - men of honour and integrity. Not ould corporate pushover shills like they have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

He is the best cos he is part Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Historically important in terms of race relations in the US, but I don't think he's the greatest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

He is the best cos he is part Irish.

Yes , he is actually the only US president to be able to claim that!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Will Obama Go Down As The Greatest US President Ever??

Not a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Oh I see....and tell me this now....what do the people of the "UK Forum" think?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I love this boards. This thread should become a sticky in EVERY sub forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Urrgh UNFOLLOW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Nothing but puppets in there since they shot Kennedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Obama will Go Down As The last US President Ever. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Abraham Lincoln.

People seem to say he's the best just because he's black. Some people refuse to accept criticism of him too, and say you're racist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Obamas legislative programme has largely been a failure, apart from a watered down healthcare bill. He may have been hamstrung by congress and was unable to realise his ambitions, but successful presidents are judged on results, not ambition.

In terms of Americas place in the world, It would be hard to argue the Country is as powerful as it was when he took office. It is an empire in the early stages of decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Obamas legislative programme has largely been a failure, apart from a watered down healthcare bill. He may have been hamstrung by congress and was unable to realise his ambitions, but successful presidents are judged on results, not ambition.

Hamstrung by Congress? Congress at that time was mainly Democrats! The House and the Senate for the first year was a majority for the Democrats so Congress can't really be blamed for his first few years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Hamstrung by Congress? Congress at that time was mainly Democrats! The House and the Senate for the first year was a majority for the Democrats so Congress can't really be blamed for his first few years!

For the first half of his term, Congress was controlled by Democrats as you correctly point out. And not just controlled - they had a filibuster proof super majority. And yes, Obama failed to make use of this golden opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Brits out! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Obama would have been ranked 8th, ahead of Reagan thus already after two years is ranked as the greatest president since 1950! This is even before he killed Bin Laden!

Obama killed Bin Laden? Who knew? I bet he caused Hurricane Sandy, too, just to make himself look good.

Greatest? I'm not sure, but he's sure as hell the most important. Why? Because he's the current one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

It's all a game. They are ALL on the same side, just different faces so people think there will be a change.
    Don't forget Obama promised to close Guantanamo. Gross human rights abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

He inherited a terrible mess, and to be honest he's done a very good job, and deserves another four more years. He won't be regarded as the best, well not at the moment anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭GisforGrenade

He needs a second term before we can call it. I hope he really takes it to the Republicans in the second term, they are ripping the government to pieces for doing nothing when they themselves are the reason the president can't do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

He needs a second term before we can call it. I hope he really takes it to the Republicans in the second term, they are ripping the government to pieces for doing nothing when they themselves are the reason the president can't do anything.

I agree with you on that totally. They have obstructed everything. It's politics at it's worst, when you put your party before the people. Seems like rotten eggs to me. Obama's weakness has been his timidness in dealing with these ignorant Republicans. He needs to be a lot more ruthless if he gets back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Emperor Showa of Japan was the best president the US ever had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Can't wait for the inevitable "article" which backs up yet another of your conspiracy theories, RTDH.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Yes, because he murdered Osama Bin Laden with his bare hands.

And he also wrestles Crocodiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

What are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Irish people have a very black and white view to American politics.

Republicans = bad
    Democrats = good.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Republicans have a very black and white view of American politics.

Republicans = good
    Democrats = bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

zef wrote: »
    Nothing but puppets in there since they shot Kennedy.

Idiotic post

What of Bill Clinton? A brilliant economic mind and the first American president to balance the budget for decades

He also had the highest approval rating of any president leaving office since they began taking poll data

Advertisement