Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have tips for Connemarathon Ultra 2013 Training Schedule

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

To be honest I'd cut out the 14 and 16 mile runs. You already have your endurance and right now all you should worry about is recovering from Barcelona.

I'm in a similar position as I ran Tralee on Saturday, except that for me Tralee was the goal race and Connemara is a fun run. I won't run at all for about 10 days and anything after that will be just nice, short and easy.

Cheers Thomas, think your probably right about the endurance, I've a good few back to backs and 2x 30 milers done so fell confident enough about that. I would feel nervous about taking a complete break from running though as Conn is the goal for me, even though I said I wasn't looking at a time....... Low and behold I'm now looking at times:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

sideswipe wrote: »
    Ok it's ultra taper time for this!
    As I've been kind of making up my training plan from week to week I've no idea of what I should do for this.
    Last week was a difficult one as I picked up a pretty heavy head cold that had me question weather I should run Barcelona, decided to run by feel and not kill myself.
    It was a bit surreal getting up and heading to the start line- my heart wasn't in it at all. When we got going I slowly got into it. I really surprised myself with how strong I felt after 5k or so, the back to backs seem to have had a positive effect. In terms of effort it was my easiest marathon to date and a 5 min pb with a 3 min negative split. Did a 3 odd mile warm down straight after to make it a nice round 30 mile final long run.

So I'm looking for some input into my plan for the next couple of weeks, I'm thinking-

This week-
    Mon - rest, Tues - 7 mile recovery, Wed - 5 mile recovery w/6x100 strides, Thurs - 5 mile easy, Fri - 14 easy (possibly some mp or hmp miles?), Sat - 16 mile hilly, Sun - rest.

Following week-
    Mon - 7 mile easy, Tues - 6 mile tempo (7 min/mile) w/2 mile wu & wd (10 mile total), Wed - 5 recovery, Thursday - 4x1 mile @ 10k pace (6:30 min/mile) w/ wu & wd, Fri - 10 mile easy, Sat - 14 mile easy, Sun - rest.

Final week-
    All easy running of 5-7 mile with a few strides and pmp miles thrown in.

So any thoughts?? Was thinking I'd like to do some quicker stuff this week but it depends on recovery from yesterday + shifting the remnants of this dose that's lingering on. Ideally would like to balance out the quicker stuff over the two weeks rather than having one week more recovery based but will try and listen to the body.
    I'm really eager to get the balance right and not to over do it and get to the start line in Conn fit and healthy so any advice welcome!

Congrats on your shiny new PB:D

I'm no expert but I would think that you don't really need to do any more long back to backs and perhaps just for proper recovery (of cold and strong legs)- do either the 14 or hilly 16 but not both this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Canine Marathoner

thomas (been following your blog) and sideswipe, well done on the marathon pbs.
    yeah, i did a hilly training marathon on sunday in 3.30...fairly pleased...it's my third training marathon of this cycle (first one: 3.45; second one: 3.35). All three on the same hilly course. 3 weeks ago did a hilly 50k in training in 4.30. Apart from one set of back-to-back 20-milers (each in 2.40), I have been pretty meagre with the longer runs. My last all-out 10k in training came in at 40.30mins. Now here's the question: did this last year in 5.44 off a mara pb of 3.15...pretty poor return. Haven't raced since. I'm thinking of the following strategy: running an even(ish) 3.30 first 26.2 miles (maybe a tad quicker in the second 13.1 miles); and then just grittining the teeth and knuckling down to keep the third 13.1 miles under 2hrs so breaking 5.30. what you reckon on this thomas? I know this is an already-much discussed thingy on previous years' threads but recommendations for the bag-drops? any further insights? My last one was at the marathon mark last year...prob could have done with a top-up of something later...ok, best of luck to those marathon recovering and tapering...and thanks in advance for any replies...i'll post how i get on...nailing my colours to the mast: over-the-moon-dream outcome: 5.20; hoped-for-outcome: 5.29.59; if push comes to shove, will-settle-for-outcome: 5.43. good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

If you go through the marathon in 3:30 you will be in a great position to beat 5:30, assuming you didn't kill yourself over the first 26 miles.

You have done plenty of long runs so stop worrying, that's not meagre at all.

As for bag drops, I keep changing my mind all the time. There are loads of different variables to consider, and they are all individual.

- I might want something reasonably early because my stomach might shut down later on
    - I want something late because that's when I need it the most
    - putting it on tables at 26 miles or later risks that half-marathoners steal it (has happened, to me as well as others)
    - gels/drinks/both/anything else?
    - how do I mark them so that I can find them amongst a crowded table (last year I pad to pick my white bag out of a dozen near-identical ones at mile 30)

... and so on ...

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Right, I could have got this very wrong.

I done (my first) 50km run on Saturday. Before that, for the last couple of months, I was creaping up the mileage towards 50km. I was fairly wrecked but if it came to it, I probably could have forced another 8 miles out of me. I went to run 5 miles on Sunday but I got as far as the road and felt that there could be a possibility of knee injury (if I went ahead) so I went to the gym instead for alternative and lighter active recovery.

This week, I have already done 14 miles this morniing (legs were tired but no injuries), tomorrow morning I intended to do 8 miles, 12 miles on Thursday, 18 miles on Saturday (one decent size hill in it) and 5 miles on Sunday.

Following week, I intended to do 8 miles on Tuesday, 5 miles on Wednesday, 8 miles on Thursday, 10 miles on Saturday (flat) and 5 miles on Sunday. And then feck all in the final week, 4 and 3 milers.

Should I be tapering more? All advice appreciated.

Plenty to think on the food strategy side!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Toblerone ( yum). the work is done. No hard training now will be of any real benefit to you . Id back off the mileage big time and let that knee and body recover. You will go mad with anxiety and worry but it will stand to you on the day. Get to the start line fit and rearing to go , not carrying niggles and surviving rather than enjoying the last few miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nshan

I am aiming for 5.15 so hoping to do the marathon in 3.25 and then hopefully get through the last 13 in 1.50. Anyone else looking to do this time or in around it?

Advertisement