Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is Archiseek gone?

• 30-10-2012 2:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Been down a few days for me at least. Some invaluable material on infrastructure there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Site and forum are loading for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

All good for me.

Fairly tumbleweed on the forums these days but still an excellent site. Shame it hasn't come into it's own because a lot of the boom time observations about the destruction of Dublin were shown to be spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

I remember when the whole Platform11 messageboard disappeared off into the ether because somebody forgot to save it. A lot of good stuff wiped out at a stroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Would be nice to see the forums broaden out into a more generally urban affairs discussion and resource similar to Urban Toronto's

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭That username is already in use.

Archiseek used to be quite busy. I noticed a sudden drop of posts around the time of the property crash. Only a handful of people post there these days. Big pity.

It didn't help matters that Paul moved from vBulletin to phpBB. Big mistake. I don't know who managed the changeover but database errors and timeouts have been a frequent occurrence ever since. Even last week the site was down for a couple of days. Also, the phpBB interface is a headache for those used to vBulletin.

If he needed money for a vBulletin license and server costs, we would have been happy to donate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,749 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

and the owner moved to canada too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

it is a great resource and if the owner ever decides to retire it should go to the national library

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    it is a great resource and if the owner ever decides to retire it should go to the national library

Some of Graham Hickeys and Gunters posts on the Dublin threads are of huge importance - and a valuable resource too. I really hope they are being archived. In fact, you could pretty much print off the entire 'Dutch Billy' thread, publish as is, and you'd instantly have the definitive history of these amazing buildings

Good to see a rush of activity there lately too, so don't write it off just yet

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Props to the poster StephenC also, he has been keeping the site ticking over with photo updates.

I hope the site comes back to life. Merging a few of the forums could be useful, some of them have zilch going on. (mainly thanks to the recession)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Is it just me or has Archiseek been down for a good while now? I've been going to look at it a few times over the last few weeks, everytime I just get a page unavailable message

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

MarkMc wrote: »
    Is it just me or has Archiseek been down for a good while now?

"Not just you": http://isup.me/archiseek.com

cgarvey wrote: »

Yeah I had a look at that. Pity, its a great site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    Props to the poster StephenC also, he has been keeping the site ticking over with photo updates.

I hope the site comes back to life. Merging a few of the forums could be useful, some of them have zilch going on. (mainly thanks to the recession)

I've been wondering if StephenC is actually the old poster Ctesiphon, a person who used to make very useful contributions to that site. He stopped posting regularly some time back and it was a real pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭highdef

Working for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Seems fine for me too!

A lot of the discussion that used to go on about it was about new buildings going up and planning for new developments.

Since the property sector crash, there's just almost no construction activity going on so it's just not very busy anymore as there's nothing to discuss in terms of new build.

I also suspect that a lot of its users were architects many of whom have emigrated as there is just not enough work for them anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭jesse pinkman

I see it's been down again for at least the last three weeks, the highly informative & witty poster 'Gunter' had only recently started posting again after a brief interlude himself, has Paul's interest in running Archiseek finally waned forevermore?

Anyone know what the story is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Paul posted a link to it from Facebook yesterday which works fine for me: http://archiseek.com/2014/poolbeg-chimneys-yeah-nay/#.U8brKijwonl

tricky D wrote: »
    Paul posted a link to it from Facebook yesterday which works fine for me: http://archiseek.com/2014/poolbeg-chimneys-yeah-nay/#.U8brKijwonl

The site is working fine, but the forums give me an SQL error and I cant access them

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    The site is working fine, but the forums give me an SQL error and I cant access them

Same here, its the forums I haven't been able to access for the last few weeks.

The forum seems to be working again today - hopefully it'll stay up now and start getting some activity like during the good old days (when everyone watched agasp as CGI images of ridiculous development after ridiculous development were being posted during the celtic tiger years)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Used to be a great site but has gone to shit in the last number of years. Wouldn't waste my bandwidth having a look at it now.

The forum's really been run into the ground over the past few years due to lack of maintenance and care. Big shame.

Paul should never have moved away from vBulletin. Ever since he changed to phpBB a few years ago, the site suffered continuous database errors and would sometimes be offline for weeks. Also, the character encoding during the transfer was botched so a lot of characters in older posts were garbled.

Archiseek forums down again for the past two weeks.

It's time for Paul to cut his losses and hand the forum over to someone else. He clearly doesn't know what he's doing nor cares about the community there. I've never seen such a disaster of a site.

What a complete waste. Get yourself together.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

A bit harsh. I think if he wanted, they could operate the forum under boards.ie - maybe not transfer all the threads, but at least it'd still be around.

A bit harsh. I think if he wanted, they could operate the forum under boards.ie - maybe not transfer all the threads, but at least it'd still be around.

Interesting idea, yet Boards.ie only recently deleted all its own Art & Architecture forums instead of just cleaning them-up & trying to reinvigorate them, so I doubt they'd want to take on Archiseek with all the issues that that would probably entail.
    zetalambda wrote: »
    Used to be a great site but has gone to shit in the last number of years. Wouldn't waste my bandwidth having a look at it now.

Cheers Paul.

Those forums are an excellent resource of historical information, articles, proposed developments etc, and a lot of high quality critique by GrahamH et al.

Would not like to see them lost - I hope if Paul needs help running it, he would reach out rather than shut it down forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    Those forums are an excellent resource of historical information, articles, proposed developments etc, and a lot of high quality critique by GrahamH et al.

Would not like to see them lost - I hope if Paul needs help running it, he would reach out rather than shut it down forever.

It's back :)

From what I remember the error on the forums would have been easy to fix - a simple mysql table repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Gone again..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Paul is talking about moving hosts at the mo due to rubbish support.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Hopefully. If not, then someone needs to take it behind the barn and shoot it.

Advertisement