Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurricane Sandy

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I'm gonna build a concrete dome then!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭King Of Wishful Thinking

Hurricane Sandy sounds so cute and cuddly, how could it be so mean with a name like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Subway is flooded.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,045 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

And we complain about bit of rain. We don't realise how lucky we are here. I know cork got bad floods and families suffered but least nobody killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

ardinn wrote: »
    I'm gonna build a concrete dome then!!

With blackjack and hookers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

And we complain about bit of rain. We don't realise how lucky we are here. I know cork got bad floods and families suffered but least nobody killed.

Actually, I think 2 people died in the floods in Dublin last November. I know the disaster wasn't on a scale like this, but a tragedy nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Hurricane Sandy sounds so cute and cuddly, how could it be so mean with a name like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Still pouring with very little breaks but everything OK up here. SNAFU!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

I've been touched by hurricane sandy. Just found a resource on the net has been taken out by the hurricane. It is a truly global society we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

It was inevitable. With power out along the Eastern Seaboard for millions of people, the data centers and servers powering many websites were also hit, knocking popular websites offline for hours.

The biggest casualty? Datagram, the Internet service provider based in New York City that powers news sites like Gawker.com, Huffingtonpost.com and Buzzfeed.com. When its servers went down on Monday night due to flooding, the sites it powered went down with it.

http://www.kabc.com/rssItem.asp?feedid=114&itemid=29932434

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1558150

Interesting thread from NY'ers perspective

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

A bit of perspective for people who think Ireland and Europe would have no issue coping with the storm....how Sandy would compare if it happened in Europe: http://i.imgur.com/Jxyof.jpg *stolen for the weather forum

Ireland has "handled" flooding before but we never really had a hurricance/Super Storm, most of Ireland would be in bits after it, regardless of our concrete houses.

In Ireland, we lose electricity and water multiples times a year over mild weather. Our water and electricity services are pretty unstable at the best of times. The water and electricity services in the US are extremely robust in comparison, for them to lose electricity is a big deal. I remember one christmas about 15 years ago, losing electricity for a week because of a mild storm...can't imagine what state Ireland would have been in after Sandy

• Registered Users Posts: 81,736 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Any idea if this storm system is going to hit europe when its done with new england?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Thankfully getting good news about most of my family but still havent heard from them all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Loadsa construction jobs up for grabs in this mother nature provided stimulus. Is Richard Bruton encouraging people to head for the airports yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

snubbleste wrote: »
    Loadsa construction jobs up for grabs in this mother nature provided stimulus. Is Richard Bruton encouraging people to head for the airports yet?

He can turn around & tell us ths dole queues are getting shorter as the remaining tradesmen head for the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Sorry, but whenever i listen to reports of this i cannot help but singing "Super Storm Sandy" in the form of a rock song.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

pabloh999 wrote: »
    Americans have absolutely nothing to learn from you.

Timber is better for the extemes in climate.
    Cooler in Summer, warmer in Winter
    gone forever in a high wind

FYP. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Sorry if this seems a bit cold but would the last couple of days been a good time to invest?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

poisonated wrote: »
    Sorry if this seems a bit cold but would the last couple of days been a good time to invest?

Yes if you had invested before it hit. The hardware/reconstruction companies jumped a lot yesterday but not expected to rise today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Sorry, but whenever i listen to reports of this i cannot help but singing "Super Storm Sandy" in the form of a rock song.

I keep thinking hurricane hand shandy for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Lovely day here. Cool, calm, dry and bright. Was going to hum Beautiful Day by Bono but I don't want to spoil it. (The day, I mean).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It's good to hear of stories about people helping each other but this would make your heart sink.
    The devastated parents of two young boys who were ripped from their mother's arms during Superstorm Sandy today visited the spot where their bodies were found.

The boys' mother Glenda Moore, 39, could not conceal the horror on her face as she stood where the remains of two-year-old Brandon, and Connor, four, were discovered, just yards from where they went missing in Staten Island, New York.

Her anguished husband Damian looked on grimly as he held up his grief-stricken wife.

Mrs Moore is said to have spent 12 hours screaming in the street after they were swept away but residents would not help her look for her sons.

The boys were about 20 yards apart from each other, under water, buried by trees and debris, law enforcement sources told the New York Post.

After the storm cleared on Tuesday morning, officers, dogs and other searchers - armed with shovels, sticks and pitchforks - had been scouring those marshlands off Father Capodanno.

A team of scuba divers were also there to search the marshy area.

At 10:15am today, police in wetsuits found Brandon waist-deep in water. His brother was found close by shortly after.

After the boys disappeared, Mrs Moore knocked on a nearby door for help but was told: 'I don't know you. I'm not going to help you.'

Mrs Moore then tried another neighbor near her Staten Island home, but when she rang the bell they turned off the lights and refused to answer.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2226332/Superstorm-Sandy-Mother-boys-swept-arms-left-screaming-street-12-hours.html#ixzz2B19TlCzC
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I like this photo, though.

http://i.imgur.com/bMrOu.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

"14 bodies pulled out of the mud on Staten Island and New York putting their energy into pumping water out of the Battery Tunnel for a marathon ~ see the disconnect here"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

New Jersey kicks out Sandy volunteers because they are non union members.

One would have thought that beggars can't be choosers.

Utility workers from across the US are descending on the Northeastern states left ravaged by Superstorm Sandy, but some volunteers making the trek are being told they can’t pitch in since they don’t belong to a union. According to a report published late Thursday by WAFF News out of Seaside Heights, crews coming to assist all the way from Alabama’s Decatur Utilities were turned away because they aren’t unionized, despite making the 800-mile jaunt to lend a hand.

http://rt.com/usa/news/new-jersey-sandy-union-849/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

My cousins wife posted a picture earlier that almost made me cry, their kids and some neighbours kids going outside to play for the first time since Sandy struck and not really knowing what to do coz the landscape had changed so much.

Advertisement