Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goodbye Atheism

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Zombrex wrote: »
    Rule number one of A&A ... don't post when drunk :p

That's not really a rule, is it....? :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

pauldla wrote: »
    That's not really a rule, is it....? :o
    Not really. Though if you are drunk this thread is probably the best place. :)

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

Did you not read 3.1?
    Yes, I did. I even quoted it. It's not clear if not being atheist excludes you from membership. As I've said I would support the "aims" and the principles behind the mission statement but am not an atheist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

robindch wrote: »
    You've been warned many times in the past that if you couldn't write a post in comprehensible English, that it would be deleted. Your post from 0330h yesterday was completely meaningless, so it was deleted. No hard feelings.

If you'd like to contribute here by posting things that mean something and are written in English, then please do -- we're all ears!

Forgive me rob, but i suspect the post was removed because it was understood.

If it wasn't understood , a request for clarification may have been in order!

Either way, it was written in English.

That post highlighted the fact that Michael would have to distance himself from certain posts/posters here, if he is to stand by his call for compassionate "ethical atheism".

In fact, it may require him to distance himself from some here from whom he enjoys drawing support .

Or ,alternatively, perhaps i'm just drunk and writing in a foreign language!

I'll come back to the rest of your comment later, but for now

Presumably you feel the same about any beliefs that Paul attributed to Jesus, given that he wrote his letters before the Gospels were written?

Matthew 15:3-4

Jesus replied, "And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition? For God said, ‘Honor your father and mother’ and ‘Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death.’ "

If i just read the gospels without prejudice....i have to put the above quote into the context the character "Jesus" placed them in!

Who did this character claim as his father /mother/bro/sister ?

Point scoring without context informs me that the leader of AI may be as misleading as he claims religious people to be.

From a literary point of view...Michael may be a poor reader....someone informed by his own prejudices/fears!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yes, I did. I even quoted it. It's not clear if not being atheist excludes you from membership. As I've said I would support the "aims" and the principles behind the mission statement but am not an atheist.
    It's actually incredible clear, it says that "any person" can be a member if you agree with the mission and the aims. You agree with the mission and aims and, afaik, you are a person, so you can be a member.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    [...] perhaps i'm just drunk and writing in a foreign language!
    Well, that would certainly explain a lot. As you you appear genuinely perplexed and surprised at what's going on, I'll explain it here again, one last time.

A post is best written in clear, straighforward English. The kind of stuff that people might read in a newspaper or in a book. Txtspk is not appreciated, it annoys people and may result in posts being deleted and the offending poster carded. If the new post is referring to somebody else's earlier post, then then please include the relevant text so that people know what you're talking about. If you make a personal comment - eg, "Joe is dumb" -- then the post may be deleted and you may be carded or both. You can, within reason, comment as you wish about people's ideas - eg, "Joe's viewpoint is dumb because...".

Stay around for a discussion, and do not post some question, then disappear for a fortnight -- that's not polite and wastes other posters' time. Generally try to respond in much the same tone as the people you're discussing some issue with. Random posts that mean nothing and go nowhere will probably be deleted.

Repeated offences against any of these rules may result in your account being banned from the forum.

Capeesh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭jasonmcco

iMyself wrote: »
    For years I have battling with Catholics misunderstanding of what it means to be an Atheist. That it is actually a lack of belief in Gods rather than an alternative belief system. I have increasingly been finding myself having the same argument with Atheists themselves, many of whom in my opinion have a problem letting go of the organisational, congregrational suspect of religion. Then today I read this nonsense in the Irish times:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2012/1026/1224325730359.html?via=mr

The notion that being an atheist means belonging to a system that is striving to be on a par with religious systems only without the God part is utterly preposterous. That when people talk about me being an atheists they can automatically assume my opinion because atheists believe in this that or the other, is completely wrong. That I am a "type" of any kind is the complete opposite of what it actually means to have no faith or to consider yourself just you, yourself not belonging or believing in anything but fact and science.

And now I've had it. I can't even not believe in something without being pigeon holed into a system. The very definition of "atheist" has been completely redefined and transformed. Well you can all have it. FRom now on I will be arguing that I am not an atheist with the same passion and conviction I use when I argue that I am not religious and have no faith whatsoever in a God.

I think you missed the point of the article in The Times.
    Atheists mixing with atheists is their choice,they hardly want to hang out with the unenlightened cult members of the various religions on the island.
    Cant see where you say they are trying to build a belief system. You'r just too used to arguing agaisnt others opinions. I have a feeling that if the world was atheist you would decide you believed in God.

Well, that would certainly explain a lot. As you you appear genuinely perplexed and surprised at what's going on, I'll explain it here again, one last time.

A post is best written in clear, straighforward English. The kind of stuff that people might read in a newspaper or in a book. Txtspk is not appreciated, it annoys people and may result in posts being deleted and the offending poster carded. If the new post is referring to somebody else's earlier post, then then please include the relevant text so that people know what you're talking about. If you make a personal comment - eg, "Joe is dumb" -- then the post may be deleted and you may be carded or both. You can, within reason, comment as you wish about people's ideas - eg, "Joe's viewpoint is dumb because...".

Stay around for a discussion, and do not post some question, then disappear for a fortnight -- that's not polite and wastes other posters' time. Generally try to respond in much the same tone as the people you're discussing some issue with. Random posts that mean nothing and go nowhere will probably be deleted.

Repeated offences against any of these rules may result in your account being banned from the forum.

Capeesh?

rob,

you asked me to change from txt speak, i have complied. ( maybe you have blinded yourself to it).

I've made it clear what im talking about here ( maybe you have blinded yourself to it).

The only person here insisting that "joe is dumb" maybe yourself in reference to me ( maybe you have blinded yourself to it).

Finally..your demand for me to speak in English was asserted in an Italian phrase!

How do i win here rob?

It is entirely your right to bounce me from the boards....i give you my assurance that i will never challenge a mods decision outside of a thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭TheChizler

rob,

you asked me to change from txt speak, i have complied. ( maybe you have blinded yourself to it).

I've made it clear what im talking about here ( maybe you have blinded yourself to it).

The only person here insisting that "joe is dumb" maybe yourself in reference to me ( maybe you have blinded yourself to it).

Finally..your demand for me to speak in English was asserted in an Italian phrase!

How do i win here rob?

It is entirely your right to bounce me from the boards....i give you my assurance that i will never challenge a mods decision outside of a thread!
    Try again?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

How do i win here rob?
    Say something interesting or funny?

Say something interesting or funny?

O.k.

Here is something interesting!

The post that was removed was an apology from myself to Michael!

Why not reinstate it?

What's so frightening about that post?

I'm all ears too!

If ya want something funny...well

I went to a zoo the other day-there was only a dog in it-it was a shihtzu!

Advertisement