Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times on the New Face of Atheism

Options
  • 26-10-2012 10:36am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Which seems to be the new face of new atheism, or something.

Anyway, "atheism is a belief like not playing football is a sport" (good), then Atheism+! Mysogynists! Rebecca Watson! Elevatorgate! Safe! All the boys love Dick! (sigh...) At least Michael Nugent tries to put him right on a few things (good).

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2012/1026/1224325730359.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Nugent has published a manifesto on “ethical atheism” (it “predates Atheism Plus”, he notes)

Nice one, Michael! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I was fearing that it was going to be John Waters whinging as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Does this represent a softening of the New Atheist stance? Or are Irish atheists simply becoming better understood?

Bingo!

From the comments:
    For most atheists, Dawkins and Hitchins do not represent them and in fact are regarded as irritants.

This kind of stuff annoys me because it's overwhelmingly the result of ignorance and appeasing religious people who don't like those guys, usually because they call them on their bull**** and reveal all their insecurities.

I don't mind if Dawkins voice grates or if you don't like his style or even if you think he's a dick, but I'm always left feeling that most people making snarky remarks about Dawkins or any of the "new atheists" are basing it entirely on the stereotype or on trying to play the fence sitter when they're debating with religious people (they often also claim they're not atheists but are actually agnostics :mad:). I feel like it's unprincipled, politicking bull****.

I'm always going to be uneasy with people banding together in a formal way based on what they don't believe in. Ultimately, doing charity work and making the world a better place supersedes that but it seems the best way to do that is to band together for the sake of making the world a better place, irrespective of what you believe in.

It makes sense for secularists to band together for the sake of fighting for the separation of church and state. It makes less sense if they band together to improve road safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MisterEpicurus

Gbear wrote: »
    It makes sense for secularists to band together for the sake of fighting for the separation of church and state. It makes less sense if they band together to improve road safety.

I think you've hit the proverbial nail on the head there.

I don't see the connection whatsoever between the organization of atheists and doing good charitable works.

Are Atheist Ireland just doing this to prove to religious folks that they can be just as nice? If so, sounds like a peculiar way to do charity - in much the same way that religious folks only seem to do charity because either god orders them or they're afraid of god.

The connection is zero. Why can't people just do charity for its own sake? Instead we have organizations which have a system behind it - Bible for Christians and Secularism for Atheists.

Why can't we just have a charity called 'Charity X' with no connections or underlying agendas and just gets on with the work of making cash for the poor and vulnerable.

Again, it just appears Atheist Ireland are doing this to show they can be nice, which is equally as fake as Christians doing it because of inspiration from the Bible or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Michael Nugent

I'm always going to be uneasy with people banding together in a formal way based on what they don't believe in.
    Atheist Ireland is not based on what our members don't believe in. It is based on what our members do believe in: promoting atheism and reason over supernaturalism and superstition, and promoting an ethical and secular Ireland.
    I think you've hit the proverbial nail on the head there. I don't see the connection whatsoever between the organization of atheists and doing good charitable works.
    Well, there is no connection between secularism and road safety, but there is a connection between secularism and ethics. In many areas of ethical behavior that are unrelated to road safety, some people make decisions based on religious faith and dogma. We are promoting an alternative basis for ethical behaviour, based on natural compassion and empathy and reciprocity and reason. And we support charities where our money will not be used to promote religious advocacy.
    Are Atheist Ireland just doing this to prove to religious folks that they can be just as nice?
    No.
    Why can't we just have a charity called 'Charity X' with no connections or underlying agendas and just gets on with the work of making cash for the poor and vulnerable.
    We're not creating the agenda, we are challenging the existing agenda that religious charities add to their charity work. We're not promoting atheism as part of our charitable work.

• Advertisement

Atheist Ireland is not based on what our members don't believe in. It is based on what our members do believe in: promoting atheism and reason over supernaturalism and superstition, and promoting an ethical and secular Ireland.

While I wish less people were religious, I find it slightly disconcerting that an organization aims to promote their agenda over those they criticise. For example, I'm not a member of Atheist Ireland purely because I don't believe in converting other people to Atheism nor do I have to band together with anyone who happens to think the same. You might reply and say that you're 'promoting' and not 'converting', but I think that there is an underlying insinuation that those who study naturalism will become atheist and thus it's a covert act of converting people to atheism.
    We are promoting an alternative basis for ethical behaviour, based on natural compassion and empathy and reciprocity and reason. And we support charities where our money will not be used to promote religious advocacy.

That's hyperbole at best. Most religious people I know are very scientific and appreciate science a lot and by no means disregard it in any sense. I think they also display empathy and reciprocity so I don't believe you can create another framework because the ordinary religious person acts like this already.

Also I'm curious to know what you mean by 'Natural Compassion'?
    We're not creating the agenda, we are challenging the existing agenda that religious charities add to their charity work. We're not promoting atheism as part of our charitable work.

In my view, even the simple act of saying "Atheist Ireland has raised €5,000 for charity X" is promoting atheism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

A lot of misunderstanding on what the meaning of the word atheist means.
    I am not sure if atheist Ireland have just confused people even more.

But anyway, if would be great to have an Atheist version of the SVDP which was way better than them.

While I wish less people were religious, I find it slightly disconcerting that an organization aims to promote their agenda over those they criticise.
    Every advocacy group does that. It comes with the territory.
    Also I'm curious to know what you mean by 'Natural Compassion'?
    I mean natural rather than supernatural. Natural compassion that is not over-ridden by dogma based on claims of supernatural origin.
    In my view, even the simple act of saying "Atheist Ireland has raised €5,000 for charity X" is promoting atheism.
    If that's a side effect, I'm fine with that. I think promoting atheism is good. You seem to think it is bad. But I assume we can agree that raising €5,000 for charity X is good (assuming, on my side, that charity X has been vetted to ensure that its money is not used to indoctrinate people with religion).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

I think promoting atheism is good.
    I think we've had threads in this space before (including one started by your good self on that very document that you drafted). But, sure, why not thrash it out again.

Why do you think promoting atheism is good? What do you mean by good, in this context?

Incidently, just to clarify my own stance, I don't think promoting atheism is bad. I just don't see the point to it.

Every advocacy group does that. It comes with the territory.

Yes - but there is no reason whatsoever for an organization to exist to promote people disbelieve in god, in the same way I would find it equally disconcerting if Afairyist Ireland advocated not believing in fairies and started raising cash under the umbrella of Afairyist Ireland.
    I mean natural rather than supernatural. Natural compassion that is not over-ridden by dogma based on claims of supernatural origin.

Well there's no such thing as supernatural compassion. I don't think anyone is forced to be compassionate either, regardless of faith. I'm talking about Ordinary Joe here and not some brainwashed Al Qaeda member.
    If that's a side effect, I'm fine with that. I think promoting atheism is good. You seem to think it is bad. But I assume we can agree that raising €5,000 for charity X is good (assuming, on my side, that charity X has been vetted to ensure that its money is not used to indoctrinate people with religion).

Of course raising cash for Charity X is great but it appears loaded to do it under the umbrella agenda of Atheist Ireland. I think it's the height of hypocrisy to give out about religious folks for converting those during charity or whatever, while all the time forming your own network of people aimed to convert those to your belief system.

And just to re-confirm, I'm not a religious believer of any stripe or flavour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I saw the article title on the front page of the Times today accompanied by a picture of Richard Dawkins. Is he not the old face?

Leonie Hilliard? Sounds like a chick....

BRING ME THE ELEVATOR!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭iMyself

Well, there is no connection between secularism and road safety, but there is a connection between secularism and ethics. In many areas of ethical behavior that are unrelated to road safety, some people make decisions based on religious faith and dogma. We are promoting an alternative basis for ethical behaviour, based on natural compassion and empathy and reciprocity and reason. And we support charities where our money will not be used to promote religious advocacy.

No.

Michael,
    Can I ask you, what gives you the right to speak on behalf of atheists? What gives you and other people the right to attach a belief system to all these people who simply want to be left alone and not pigeon holed into any system whether it be religious or not.

What you are doing is worse then religion. Religions have to be signed up to, whereas what you are doing is imposing a system on people who have not signed up to it, who do not necessarily share your opinions and who by the very definition of being an atheist simply do not believe in God, period. Nothing more.

When I call myself an atheist I now not only have to argue that I do not believe in God, but more often I have to argue that I do not belong to a system or society and I am not a member of your bull**** cult.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

Yes - but there is no reason whatsoever for an organization to exist to promote people disbelieve in god, in the same way I would find it equally disconcerting if Afairyist Ireland advocated not believing in fairies and started raising cash under the umbrella of Afairyist Ireland.

I see this nonsense repeated over and over on this forum. Of course there is a reason for an organisation such as atheist ireland (I'm not a member BTW). In fact they give their raison d'etre in big bold letters at the top of their homepage, go and look. "Promoting atheism, reason and a secular state" Which of these things is not worthy of an organisation? Atheism is definitely worth promoting, just as much as science is worthy of public praise and advocacy.

Frankly, I find this "people's religious beliefs or lack thereof are entirely their own business" stuff very childish. We live in a society and we are all part of that society, so no matter how private we are about our theism, it impacts to some degree on our society. The whole "my opinions are my business" is a very childish view of the world. We all like to think like that when we are young - I certainly did. After a while most people realise that we are not islands and that our lives and opinions are not entirely our own business.

To address your "afairyist" notion, what would you say if the fairyists controlled 90% of our schools and indocrinated our children to belive in fairies, while at the same time protecting a bunch of sick child rapists in their midst? What if the fairyists tried to promote the idea that the use of contraceptives is wrong? Or if they started killing othr people who believed in elves rather than fairies? Would you then think that afairyism was worthy of an organisation

I see this nonsense repeated over and over on this forum. Of course there is a reason for an organisation such as atheist ireland (I'm not a member BTW). In fact they give their raison d'etre in big bold letters at the top of their homepage, go and look. "Promoting atheism, reason and a secular state" Which of these things is not worthy of an organisation? Atheism is definitely worth promoting, just as much as science is worthy of public praise and advocacy.

Frankly, I find this "people's religious beliefs or lack thereof are entirely their own business" stuff very childish. We live in a society and we are all part of that society, so no matter how private we are about our theism, it impacts to some degree on our society. The whole "my opinions are my business" is a very childish view of the world. We all like to think like that when we are young - I certainly did. After a while most people realise that we are not islands and that our lives and opinions are not entirely our own business.

To address your "afairyist" notion, what would you say if the fairyists controlled 90% of our schools and indocrinated our children to belive in fairies, while at the same time protecting a bunch of sick child rapists in their midst? What if the fairyists tried to promote the idea that the use of contraceptives is wrong? Or if they started killing othr people who believed in elves rather than fairies? Would you then think that afairyism was worthy of an organisation

Science and secularism are certainly worth fighting for and they will indirectly cause people to be less religious.
    I think the point is that I'm not sure campaigning for the spread of atheism itself is necessary and because of the usually incorrect stereotypes about it pressing the issue could be counter-productive.
    Ultimately, it doesn't actually matter whether people are atheists or not. Once they are secular and trust science then whether they have religion or not becomes relatively trivial.

Ireland's problem isn't a lack of atheism, it's a lack of secularism.
    You don't need to be atheists to give all children an equal education or to stop shielding scumbag rapists.

Ireland's problem isn't a lack of atheism, it's a lack of secularism.
    I think you are on the ball there - I'd quibble over your statement "trust science", but that's a topic in itself for some other time.

For me, that's a point that came out of the thread on Micheal's document on Ethical Atheism.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056736030

We don't need some atheist agenda. If there's any value to be had from discussions of this kind, it's to find common principles that everyone can mobilise or act around - whether theist or not.

Your post doesn't contain anything worthy of being called an argument, at best you've engaged in a patronizing rant verging on hyperbole.

I think the OP above me has explained it better than I could. Basically, everything you've listed (contraception, schools etc.) can be achieved through secularism and not atheism. I think you're mingling the terms unnecessarily when, in fact, they are completely separate.

I have no qualms whatsoever in an organization aiming to promote science, reason and secularism. What I find baffling is the need to shovel all this under the umbrella term of 'Atheist Ireland'. Why introduce 'atheism' into the goals outlined above? And given that secularism can also include religious folk, it makes it even more baffling.

Atheism is becoming very organized and unnecessarily so. I firmly believe that a secular organization is appropriate because even religious people can be secular. I don't think you can put any good argument forward to explain the necessity for introducing an 'Atheist Ireland' organization as opposed to a far superior 'Secularism Ireland' which also advocated reason and science.

In conclusion, you don't need to be an atheist to advocate secularism. All of Atheist Ireland's goals can be achieved through a Secular Society if need be as this will be inclusive of religious folk who also believe in secularism. Whether or not an individual member is an atheist is actually completely irrelevant to the goals that wish to be achieved. Now what we see forming are 'Atheist Ethics' and so forth...all unnecessary and unenforceable as all atheist are individual thinkers and that's what we should be proud of. Banding together every now and again to either reinforce your atheism at meetings or whatever it may be is not necessary. The political activities can be achieved through secularism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Bingo!
    I don't mind if Dawkins voice grates or if you don't like his style or even if you think he's a dick, but I'm always left feeling that most people making snarky remarks about Dawkins or any of the "new atheists" are basing it entirely on the stereotype or on trying to play the fence sitter when they're debating with religious people (they often also claim they're not atheists but are actually agnostics :mad:). I feel like it's unprincipled, politicking bull****.

It was a fair comment to make. Dawkins is the personification of the dickhead atheist stereotype, that's why some Atheists can't stand him (me included). Nothing to do with being a fence sitter.

I think you are on the ball there - I'd quibble over your statement "trust science", but that's a topic in itself for some other time.

I think this is an important point.

Whether scientists always get the correct answer, are fraudulent or some scientific institutions are with or without merit, everyone needs to trust science itself.

The mechanism of science mightn't be able to find "absolute truth" (whatever the **** that means) but it's the best method discovered to get us practical and testable information to bring our species forward.
    Nothing else does what it does. It should absolutely be trusted.
    If you don't want to trust some of the people doing it you can always find someone else doing it or do it yourself.

iMyself wrote: »
    Michael,
    Can I ask you, what gives you the right to speak on behalf of atheists? What gives you and other people the right to attach a belief system to all these people who simply want to be left alone and not pigeon holed into any system whether it be religious or not.

What you are doing is worse then religion. Religions have to be signed up to, whereas what you are doing is imposing a system on people who have not signed up to it, who do not necessarily share your opinions and who by the very definition of being an atheist simply do not believe in God, period. Nothing more.

When I call myself an atheist I now not only have to argue that I do not believe in God, but more often I have to argue that I do not belong to a system or society and I am not a member of your bull**** cult.
    What we are doing is worse than religion? Seriously? Worse than the Crusades, the Inquisition, stoning women to death for adultery? Please try to keep a sense of perspective.

We promote atheism and reason over supernaturalism and superstition, and we promote an ethical and secular Ireland. You might not want us to be doing this, but it is hardly "worse than religion".

Since you have also asked your substantive question on a different thread that you started for that purpose, I have answered it there.

Here's a link to my response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

DubleF wrote: »
    Someone answer me here please! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056725769
    Thank you! :)

FFS do I have to check every link here before I click on it now?

• Advertisement

Whether scientists always get the correct answer, are fraudulent or some scientific institutions are with or without merit, everyone needs to trust science itself.
    But science is that human process, flaws and all. There isn't some wonderful, ideal conception of science to which we all aspire; if we give the same trust or faith to human scientific institutions, they'll let us down in exactly the same way as the religious institutions.

So, pardon me, but I'm following neither the gourd nor the sandal. I'm with Spike Milligan on this one.

But science is that human process, flaws and all. There isn't some wonderful, ideal conception of science to which we all aspire; if we give the same trust or faith to human scientific institutions, they'll let us down in exactly the same way as the religious institutions.

So, pardon me, but I'm following neither the gourd nor the sandal. I'm with Spike Milligan on this one.

I explicitly said not scientific institutions but the scientific method itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

What we are doing is worse than religion? Seriously? Worse than the Crusades, the Inquisition, stoning women to death for adultery? Please try to keep a sense of perspective.

We promote atheism and reason over supernaturalism and ese tsuperstition, and we promote an ethical and secular Ireland. You might not want us to be doing this, but it is hardly "worse than religion".

Since you have also asked your substantive question on a different thread that you started for that purpose, I have answered it there.

Here's a link to my response.

It is such a shame that this confusion is still going on.

What's the difference these ethical goals Atheist Ireland have and the humanist society have again?

How much time is wasted arguing over words when these arguments are pointless...

I explicitly said not scientific institutions but the scientific method itself.
    But that's what I'm trying to say - science is the institutions, not some perfect Platonic ideal of a method that always seems to be just out of reach.

You can even take the method head on; to an extent, that's what yer man's book "Black Swan" is about, and David Hume before him and others before that.

All we can ever do is make generalisations based on whatever subset of evidence sits before us, in a context where that subset of evidence is only a tiny portion of everything you'd need to know to have a sound basis for judgment.

Add in the practical need to make a living, the desire to have a career, and dependency on institutions to deliver that, and our trust in this perfect scientific method will have us spending the weekend at a workshop on damage limitation given by Diarmuid Martin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I have no qualms whatsoever in an organization aiming to promote science, reason and secularism. What I find baffling is the need to shovel all this under the umbrella term of 'Atheist Ireland'. Why introduce 'atheism' into the goals outlined above? And given that secularism can also include religious folk, it makes it even more baffling.
    Secularism only covers one of the three topics mentioned above. Atheism covers none of them. Atheism Ireland as an organization covers all of them.
    The question has been asked about the difference between humanist and atheist organisations. IMO the traditional humanist org carried on much of the trappings of religion, such as holding weekly meetings and by appointing "celebrants" to conduct funerals. In a sense they filled the void left for someone in a religious congregation who had lost their faith. Although many individuals of no faith continue attending churches for social reasons, others feel it is hypocritical to do so. Indeed some would say the ceremonies humanists organise are just "fake" versions of baptismal, marriage and funeral services. Nowadays this ritualistic aspect is becoming less important than the public campaigning for ethics and secularism, so we have a sort of convergent evolution with the organised atheists who are aiming to promote their ideals, and now introducing charity in the name of atheism. The two are becoming virtually indistinguishable. Dawkins is actually a vice president of the British Humanist Association, so they are not mutually exclusive either. I think that is quite an important point. Generally you'll find religions, like political parties, demand exclusive loyalty from their members.

I think you are naive in thinking some religious folk embrace secularism. They will only adopt it when it is to their advantage. It is similar to a retreat in military tactics. The RCC will hand over patronage of a limited number of schools soon, due to political pressure from the Labour party, and in order to avoid the mutiny of parents, and to consolidate control over the remaining schools.
    Members of minority churches will pay lip service to secularism because they resent state support of their rivals. But if they ever had the numbers to set up their own state funded schools etc you would see their true colours emerge.

Some atheists in Ireland decided to form an advocacy group, in order to give a public face to atheism, and to promote in Irish social discourse ideals of rationalism and secularism arising from their atheism.

They decided to call their group Atheist Ireland, presumably because (a) they are atheists, and (b) they’re in Ireland. I assume Atheist Secular Society and Aindiachaí Réasúnach Saolta na hÉireann were both considered as names, but deemed wanting.

Others way wish to use those names if they decide to form their own groups, btw, I’m in no way precious about them. Be my guest.

If the mere existence of AI can give people a moments pause about their beliefs, I’m all for it. I won’t be joining them myself, but I wish them luck.

From the letters page of todays IT. I'd reply to it, but it made me so depressed I don't know where to begin.
    Sir, – Michael Nugent (October 29th) thanks The Irish Times for helping to make Atheist Ireland better understood. And well he might, considering the 400-word manifesto he is granted on your Letters page. I would like to add to this general air of appreciation by thanking Mr Nugent and all the members of Atheist Ireland for the publicity and indirect promotion they give to organised religion, especially Christianity.

How can religion not seem fascinating, subversive, fertile and bold compared to the bland platitudes and (in the strictest sense of this word) entirely reactionary philosophy of organisations such as this? How much “reason” can there be in rejecting “personal gods who answer prayers and impregnate virgins to give birth to themselves” but accepting the idea of a self-assembling universe, or of an ethical outlook that is treated as self-evident but is ultimately based upon nothing at all? Isn’t it obvious that to reject supernaturalism while saluting “personal autonomy and individual conscience” is gross contradiction, since you will never find any basis for those ideas in a naturalistic worldview? All in all, can any fair-minded person not feel that even the most “silly” religion is more respectful of the mystery, vitality, sublimity, uncanniness and numinosity of the universe than this barrage of banalities?

Organised atheism is a desperate attempt to ward off man’s deepest and most ancient reaction to reality; but the more that reaction is repressed, the more potently it reasserts itself. I trust that organisations such as Atheist Ireland will keep throwing the sand against the wind. – Yours, etc,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Wow. The use of language is quite pretty but what it says is ignorant. I can't write the letter of response either - needs someone clever.

CALLING MICHAEL NUGENT?? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

Obliq wrote: »
    Wow. The use of language is quite pretty but what it says is ignorant. I can't write the letter of response either - needs someone clever.

CALLING MICHAEL NUGENT?? :cool:

A quick google revealed this (there can't be that many delusional Maolseachlainns around, can there)

http://whyimcatholic.com/index.php/conversion-stories/catholic-reverts/item/109-catholic-revert-maolsheachlann-o-ceallaigh

Basically, John Waters wannabe as far as I can see. "yearning for the divine", 'I once was an atheist too' (yeah right:rolleyes:). This is a person who desperately wants to believe that he is special. These people are the worst kind of theists. They have read a little bit and convinced themselves that they have a deeper understanding of reality than the rest of us. He even proudly proclaims his love of "agrarian, anti-modern" romantic nationalists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

A quick google revealed this (there can't be that many delusional Maolseachlainns around, can there)

http://whyimcatholic.com/index.php/conversion-stories/catholic-reverts/item/109-catholic-revert-maolsheachlann-o-ceallaigh

Basically, John Waters wannabe as far as I can see. "yearning for the divine", 'I once was an atheist too' (yeah right:rolleyes:). This is a person who desperately wants to believe that he is special. These people are the worst kind of theists. They have read a little bit and convinced themselves that they have a deeper understanding of reality than the rest of us. He even proudly proclaims his love of "agrarian, anti-modern" romantic nationalists.

Nice one. There's the basis for the letter right there :cool:

"But how could there be a centre, a direction, a purpose worth caring about, without God, the Alpha and Omega, the magnetic North of all existence? What was the point of any story if, as Macbeth said, life itself was a tale told by an idiot, signifying nothing? Because it couldn't mean anything, if the atheists were right; that much was horrifyingly clear."

I find it so irritating that someone would think that without a belief in god that life has no meaning. What a load of bollix. If "atheists were right", what changes in your life exactly? Do you feel unable to cope, to carry on without some unseen presence controlling you from above? Can you not stand on your own two feet? Call the Samaritans then, but don't go blaming Atheists who are perfectly happy with the notion of being on our own.

Advertisement