Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebooking......

Options
  • 26-10-2012 4:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭

So was just wondering what the fellow-female consensus would be as regards to asking a guy out on Facebook! :o Have inadvertently bumped into a rather appealing guy around town in the street a few times, (a fair bit older than me I think so we would have moved in totally different circles in the past,) and may just so happen to know his name :pac::D and may be currently of the eye-catching it-must-be-fate school of thought. :D Then one day was just idly waiting for someone in a cafe and next thing in he walked and sat down right beside me, but it was totally silent surroundings so would have been un-able to make any feeble attempt to strike up a feeble conversation with him that day anyway. But then it got me thinking maybe I could send him a message on Facebook and go (nowhere) from there. :)

I would be okay with sending a message on Facebook I think. It can't hurt right?! :p Nothing to lose and all that! One can but try. :cool: I do recall asking a guy out on a bus before lol, but he just laughed at me like I was nuts! :rolleyes::D It's not that I would mind doing something like this, more that I'd be absolutely clueless because this (may but I wouldn't have the foggiest idea lol,) or may not possibly be "the-done-thing," or how different conventional / non-conventional methods would be viewed / received. Had just wondered about ladies opinions / experiences of doing something like this! :) Anyone ever tried it and how'd it turn out?! :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I assume you're not friends with him on Facebook already?

Would it not make more sense to just ask him out next time you bump in to him when you're out and about?

If you're not already friend's with him on Facebook then I would think its not a good idea. It would sort of give the impression you've been stalking him which wouldn't be a good start....I'm not saying you've stalked him by the way, a lot of people google men/women they fancy!!! Just if he's not one of the googly types he may not like it. I wouldn't like it.

Do you have mutual friends on FB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Yeh if you aren't friends on facebook already then it's going to come off as stalkerish.

Nobody likes a stalker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

I was about to come in and say "go for it!" because I thought you were talking about someone you're friends with on fb, or someone you met recently and you wanted to add them on the basis that you have hung out a bit in real life. But as you just happen to know his name and looked for him on fb that's a bit odd, well I mean we all do that the odd time, look someone up on fb, but to then send a message to this person who you don't really know is a bit much. You should ask him in person, asking on fb is kind of reserved for in chat windows or pm's when you're already friends with someone on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I think it would seem very strange and he would most probably say no and think you were taking a rise out of him tbh - I wouldn't go with this approach at all if I were you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Sure add him first! Worst he can do is reject the friend invite :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

So was just wondering what the fellow-female consensus would be as regards to asking a guy out on Facebook! :o Have inadvertently bumped into a rather appealing guy around town in the street a few times, (a fair bit older than me I think so we would have moved in totally different circles in the past,) and may just so happen to know his name :pac::D and may be currently of the eye-catching it-must-be-fate school of thought. :D Then one day was just idly waiting for someone in a cafe and next thing in he walked and sat down right beside me, but it was totally silent surroundings so would have been un-able to make any feeble attempt to strike up a feeble conversation with him that day anyway. But then it got me thinking maybe I could send him a message on Facebook and go (nowhere) from there. :)

I would be okay with sending a message on Facebook I think. It can't hurt right?! :p Nothing to lose and all that! One can but try. :cool: I do recall asking a guy out on a bus before lol, but he just laughed at me like I was nuts! :rolleyes::D It's not that I would mind doing something like this, more that I'd be absolutely clueless because this (may but I wouldn't have the foggiest idea lol,) or may not possibly be "the-done-thing," or how different conventional / non-conventional methods would be viewed / received. Had just wondered about ladies opinions / experiences of doing something like this! :) Anyone ever tried it and how'd it turn out?! :pac:
    It seems that you haven't even spoken, so like others have said, he would probably find it a bit strange if you asked him out on Facebook. Say hello the next time you bump into him, and see if you can strike up a conversation from there.

Kudos for trying to take the initiative though! There is a thread in the Gentlemen's Club on the topic of women asking men out. Maybe suss out their opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

It seems that you haven't even spoken, so like others have said, he would probably find it a bit strange if you asked him out on Facebook. Say hello the next time you bump into him, and see if you can strike up a conversation from there.

Kudos for trying to take the initiative though! There is a thread in the Gentlemen's Club on the topic of women asking men out. Maybe suss out their opinion?

If you haven't talked to him and are fairly sure of seeing him around the place again I think it would be better to start by smiling and saying hi when you do see him. Then send him a friend request (ideally after you got his name off him, but it's not vital), chat a bit then ask him out. If you have mutual friends it'll be easier.

If you do this fair play. I can think of a couple of girls who down through the years I used see around the place but I never had the balls to do anything about it.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Add him first, make an introduction. He'll know then that if you went to the trouble of adding him, you must have some interest in him....
    I was given a number by someone on FB. I'm a guy and was well impressed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

If he thinks you're hot you'll have nothing to worry about!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Have you ever even spoken? If not, it's just too weird. Otherwise I'd have said go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Give em an aul poke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Presume everyone who replied so far are females. From a male point of view, I'd say go for it. Pretty shure it's what social networking was invented for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 LivingInColour

I don't think it's weird at all, just message him! Sure what have you got to lose? I've been in a similar situation and it worked out pretty well. Dooo it! :)

Ooh, first post! :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 syjg18

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Sure add him first! Worst he can do is reject the friend invite :P

Yeah right. She better add him first. I wish her luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Male perspective. Go for it. Try avoiding the smileys though. You appear to have used up your lifetime quota in that post alone! More than one smiley per paragraph is a bit...

Advertisement