Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vitamin advice

Options
  • 24-10-2012 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi, ive been feeling run down lately and occasionally dizzy/sick, im putting it down to bad diet and sleep pattern. Anyway i got a load of vitamins and a food supplement to help and was wondering are they safe to take all at once. I have omega 3 fish oil, cod liver oil, vitamin C + Zinc and a food sup called Super One Formula. Too much to take everyday or no harm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Ziphius

If you're taking one of each there should be no problem. You have to take quite a high dose to get any negative effects. Also, any excess water soluble vitamins (e.g. Vitamin C) will be removed from the body in urine.

Assuming you eat a reasonably balanced diet you shouldn't have to take vitamin supplements every day. Though, doing so probably won't do you any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭louis626

Try to get a regular sleep pattern and regular meals, particularly breakfast. Something sustainable like porridge would be a good shout. Also make sure you are drinking plenty of water. You've identified this yourself so you should now try to rectify that.

As far as the vitamins, any vitamins that are not absorbed will simply pass through the body and exit through your urine so no it would not be too much to take. Having said that nobody wants to waste money on vitamins that their body isn't using so be reasonable and stick to dosages.

I would also try to space out the taking of the items you've mentioned so there won't be any competition for absorption within your body.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

louis626 wrote: »

As far as the vitamins, any vitamins that are not absorbed will simply pass through the body and exit through your urine so no it would not be too much to take. Having said that nobody wants to waste money on vitamins that their body isn't using so be reasonable and stick to dosages.

That only stands for the water-soluble vitamins. Taking in excess amounts of other vitamins (e.g. the vitmain A in CLO) can have detrimental effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭louis626

Yeah your right, I meant any as in vitamin supplements in general. With the supps listed by the OP, this wouldn't be a problem. I'll be more clear next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pocpaul

Thanks guys great advice from you all, ill stick to the recommended dosage of them all and it should be fine so cheers again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

pocpaul wrote: »
    Hi, ive been feeling run down lately and occasionally dizzy/sick, im putting it down to bad diet and sleep pattern. Anyway i got a load of vitamins and a food supplement to help and was wondering are they safe to take all at once. I have omega 3 fish oil, cod liver oil, vitamin C + Zinc and a food sup called Super One Formula. Too much to take everyday or no harm?

They wont do much if your diet is still poor! They're supplements not substitutes! This shouldn't be an issue when you take recommended dosesly (as they're usually way under) but be careful on taking CLO & fish oil supps together, too much omega 3 can effect blood clotting. You'll aslo be getting vitamin A,D (also present in CLO) and zinc from your Super one a day capsule so again,watch your dosing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Burkatron wrote: »
    They wont do much if your diet is still poor! They're supplements not substitutes!

Spot On!

If you're run down and tired, look at your diet and your amount of sleep.

Advertisement