Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back boiler by-pass?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ballinakillww

Hi, looks like there's a few people on here who know there stuff!

Would really appreciate some info regarding proposed installation of 30kw firewarm backboiler stove, our current system is a pressurised one running on oil burner. The tricky part is the house layout is reversed so our living room and as a result, our stove is upstairs but the cylinder is downstairs. With having to pump the water back down to cylinder, I would love some educated info on the right way to proceed, I want to get this right first time .I also have some concerns re the dependence on the pump to pull heat away in event of a power failure and any info on possible automatic soulution/release valve ? I will be having a plumber do all installation work but most I,ve asked about so far have not had the answers I've been looking for.

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭jimjimt

Even with a perfect gravity system a back boiler and cylinder can over heat and make noise and bang because the gravity circuit with a large fire will be over come with too much heat to perform correctly.

A pipe stat on the circulating pump is a must.

In the event of power failure or other and your back boiler is uncontrollable. It would be useful to have a fire extinguisher in the house. Perhaps a steel shovel and steel bucket to take extinguish hot coals and fuel from the fire.
    No harm in having a little emergency plan and system ready.

Also check that you have a 3 bar pressure relief valve close to the back boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Shouldn't, if it isn't either the. Cylinder is too small or the circuit is too restrictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dwyersh

wilson10 wrote: »
    Get someone to look at you system sooner rather than too late.

I'm not a plumber but I just installed a back boiler myself and can't believe how efficient it actually is and how much energy I've wasted over the years, it heats the hot water and warms 16 rads reasonably well, while throwing out a fair amount of heat into the room.

I can't understand how someone is running a system having to remember to switch on a pump, for the sake of a 15 euro pipe stat.

I have a thermostatic switch clamped to my return pipe from my copper cylinder which switches on the pump when it reaches about 40 degrees, a simple cheap job which could avert a disaster.

Get it seen to for peace of mind.

u wanna come install a back boiler for me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

dwyersh wrote: »
    u wanna come install a back boiler for me ;)

Only if u wanna your stat in the incorrect place

• Advertisement
Advertisement