Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardies Drinking Habits

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

College: yes.
    I drink around 3 or 4 nights a week. I probably spend around 40 quid a week. (naggins for a fiver In centra, can't go wrong) :D
    I don't buy food or taxis. Tbh, dont know how I get home most times :L
    I'm almost definitely a future alcoholic if I'm not one already :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

College: Yes
    Times a week: 2
    Money spent: Depends! Thursday night is quiz night, I get dinner and a few pints, usually $25, leave early enough to catch the bus.

Saturday night might be a house party, so $15 on drink in the house, $15 on the taxi home. If we go out, usually $30 in drink and cover, and then falafal after $5, and taxi home.

My last house was downtown, no taxis ever :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

How many times a week do you drink: Once or twice
    What do you spend on drink: about 40-50 per night out and pre-drink whatever I happen to have in the house.
    What do you spend on taxi/food: nothing. I don't eat after a night out, and usually stay with a mate. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

How many times a week do you drink: 1-2
    What do you spend on drink: €6 on a bottle of wine, €6 club entry, so that's €24 a week.
    What do you spend on taxi/food: €5 on food, my dad is a taxi driver so he gives me a spin home for free :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

University of life

Havn't had a drink in over a year - binge drinker - how I didn't drink over summer is a miracle - now I'm battling the cigarettes (again)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

How many times a week do you drink: 1/2
    What do you spend on drink:€40?
    What do you spend on taxi/food: €15

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

college , no
    work , no
    but yet im spendin about 300 400 a week on booze . sick of spendin so much , and keep sayin not doin that this weekend !! but still feckin up on it !!!

argh !!

wednesday night an im still dyin after drinkin last fri sat n sun nite , spent about 500 on the 3 days drinkin !!

how do i stop this **** !! :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 7 paulyd83

College: No
    How many times a week do you drink: 1
    What do you spend on drink: €5 club entry, and prob about €50 on drink
    What do you spend on taxi/food: €5 on taxi, €2 on a mcflurry!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Times a week: 6/7
    Amount spent: 4x(1pub pint + 6pack at home) = 4 x (5 + 7)= 48...say 50
    2 x(6 pub pints) = 2 x 30 = 60
    1 x 0 OR 1 x glass wine / G & T/ Can of cider from fridge = 0 to 5
    so approx 120.
    Live in town so no need for taxis.
    Problem is I also pay for the girlfriend but she only has a few half Guinnesses or maybe a couple of glasses of vino .... so maybe she commands 40 euros a week. She prefers a baileys or mixed drink at home and will usually only come to the pub later in the evening or leave earlier.
    It's the damn cigarettes that kill me. A pack a day costs 65 a week. But a night on the piss you could burn through 3 pack what with half smoking them outside and with scabs etc. That's nearly 30 quid.

Don't really get food after the pub. Prefer to go to bed with the taste of stale beer in my mouth or make some revolting concoction from dinner leftovers and then try and get the leg over :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

NIALL D wrote: »
    college , no
    work , no
    but yet im spendin about 300 400 a week on booze . sick of spendin so much , and keep sayin not doin that this weekend !! but still feckin up on it !!!

argh !!

wednesday night an im still dyin after drinkin last fri sat n sun nite , spent about 500 on the 3 days drinkin !!

Where do you get the money? I'm not saying you are an alco....who am I to judge. I love alcohol...well beer, If you want to drink every day it's possible to do it on a much cheaper budget. 10 pints should be enough to anyone pissed......that 50 euros. Times 7 that's 350 a week. The same quantity in cans would only set you back about 80 per week. Do you really need to give all your cash to the pub landlord when you could spend 80 on beer a week and the 270 you save you could have a room in the Gresham each weekend for Friday and Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

NIALL D wrote: »

You could start by going to an AA meeting.

The higher power stuff isn't about Jesus. Your higher power can be your love for your dog or the sober people in AA.

AA is about using the strength of a group to keep you sober, as well analysing yourself to try to get rid of your destructive thoughts and behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I gave up drink when I went travelling and realised other countries don't really drink like us... the only countries I've been to who are similar are the UK, Poland, Russia and Mongolia... and all of those places have a serious problem with alcohol.

It feels great being booze free. No more hangovers, way more energy and motivation, more money, better diet, slimmer, etc.

I don't do moderation very well so I'd rather give up altogether than hope I can stop after pint number two...

a lot of countries drink as much as us but few countries pack it into a few hours on a friday or saturday night like us!

smurgen wrote: »
    a lot of countries drink as much as us but few countries pack it into a few hours on a friday or saturday night like us!

I agree with you, but in Ireland we are in denial about alcoholism. We think if you are functioning you are not an alcoholic, whereas other countries call this a "functioning alcoholic".

I reckon when Irish people think of an alcoholic they think of the drunk homeless guy on the street rather than their friend who has pints a few times a week and binges like crazy during the weekend.

I have attended a few AA meetings abroad with a friend (he's an alcoholic) and seriously the foreigners who are in AA would be considered "normal" people in Ireland.

I have attended a few AA meetings abroad with a friend (he's an alcoholic) and seriously the foreigners who are in AA would be considered "normal" people in Ireland.

well that doesn't make sence really unless there are hundreds and thousands in AA in th country you are in. I Don't think you understand me. WHO figures which shows average per person pure alcohol drank per year put us at about 16th on the world scale.only slightly behind the french and behind the south south koreans. This means that the average person in france is just slightly less of an alcoholoic than the average person in ireland :D.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

How many times a week do you drink: Usually 0 maybe 1
    What do you spend on drink: 10-20
    What do you spend on taxi/food: Taxi is 14, nothing on food

well that doesn't make sence really unless there are hundreds and thousands in AA in th country you are in. I Don't think you understand me. WHO figures which shows average per person pure alcohol drank per year put us at about 16th on the world scale.only slightly behind the french and behind the south south koreans. This means that the average person in france is just slightly less of an alcoholoic than the average person in ireland :D.

This is the same WHO which said a tiny island in the pacific are the biggest marijuana smokers? (The WHO's figures were debunked by the BBC).

I've spent a lot of time in different countries and the only ones which I found to be comparable with Ireland were Poland, Russia and Mongolia.

Don't be in denial about Ireland's alcohol problem... we are a nation full of problem drinkers.

I would also add, just because "other countries have problems too" doesn't make it OK that we drink ourselves silly in Ireland.

But whatever, I'm not going to argue with a stranger on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

How many times a week do you drink: 0 but maybe once every 6 weeks when I go out.
    What do you spend on drink: €50-70
    What do you spend on taxi/food: €20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

How many times a week do you drink:2
    What do you spend on drink:I'd say about 50-60 euro
    What do you spend on taxi/food:Nada, if in town its a 20 euro taxi home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

College: Yes/No - NO
    How many times a week do you drink: ZILCH
    What do you spend on drink: ZILCH
    What do you spend on taxi/food: ZILCH

Did I win?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

College: Yes/No - NO
    How many times a week do you drink: ZILCH
    What do you spend on drink: ZILCH
    What do you spend on taxi/food: ZILCH

Did I win?

Ditto...I'm a boring old dry s*hite

• Advertisement

This is the same WHO which said a tiny island in the pacific are the biggest marijuana smokers? (The WHO's figures were debunked by the BBC).

I've spent a lot of time in different countries and the only ones which I found to be comparable with Ireland were Poland, Russia and Mongolia.

Don't be in denial about Ireland's alcohol problem... we are a nation full of problem drinkers.

I would also add, just because "other countries have problems too" doesn't make it OK that we drink ourselves silly in Ireland.

But whatever, I'm not going to argue with a stranger on the internet.

why not? you already started? i just hate the sterotype that we're the biggest drinkers in the world when it isn't true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

eviltwin wrote: »
    Ditto...I'm a boring old dry s*hite

Thank god for the report button. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

College: Yes/No - Yay
    How many times a week do you drink: about 3 to 4 times
    What do you spend on drink:Naff all! Approx 10 quid a week
    What do you spend on taxi/food: None on taxi, 5 for my breakfast at work

i just hate the sterotype that we're the biggest drinkers in the world when it isn't true!

We're not the biggest, but we really are up there with the "best".

Have you travelled much? If you have I'm sure you saw most other nationalities don't quite have the same attitude to alcohol as we have. I'd almost say Irish people are medicating themselves with alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

College No

Now
    How many times a week do you drink: 1
    What do you spend on drink: 10 - 2 pints on a Friday :-(
    What do you spend on taxi/food: 0

This time last year pre fatherhood
    How many times a week do you drink: 5/6
    What do you spend on drink: €170 35 pints +or- 5
    What do you spend on taxi/food: eating is cheating, usually bus it home

Do I miss the hangovers? no. But they have been replaced with constant tiredness due to sleep deprivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭_petulia_

How many times a week do you drink: 1-2
    What do you spend on drink: €10 - 20
    What do you spend on taxi/food: €0

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

How many times a week do you drink: 3
    What do you spend on drink: approx 25 pints so 95 quid in my local probably few halfones we will round up to 110
    What do you spend on taxi/food: €0 on the occasion i go to town €20 would cover both

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

College:yes
    How many times a week do you drink: 1-3
    What do you spend on drink: €30 - 50
    What do you spend on taxi/food: €15

We're not the biggest, but we really are up there with the "best".

Have you travelled much? If you have I'm sure you saw most other nationalities don't quite have the same attitude to alcohol as we have. I'd almost say Irish people are medicating themselves with alcohol.

yes I have travelled and it's my travelling which has led me to believe that we're not as heavy drinkers as people would have us believe.i've been living in Switzerland the last year and a half been around france, italy and germany alot.I would agree that we have a big binge culture but we're not as bad a people make out. I dunno how many times out when drinking i've been pretty much challenged by people trying to impress me with their drinking.They always make comments along the lines of "sure drinking is easy for you, you're irish". I therefore find myself curtailing my drinking so I don't look like some stupid stereotype. Also we have a much healthier attitude to drink driving than any country i've been to. Particularly France. All of my french friends would think nothing of driving home after pubbing and clubbing.

• Advertisement

I agree with you about the drink driving. Actually I'd go as far as saying Irish people are pretty good drivers compared to many other nationalities!

Advertisement