Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I caught someone selling my email address to spammers

Options
  • 23-10-2012 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭

When I sign up to websites, I usually put the website name in the First Name text box, so if I get an email saying "Hi Mr site.com" then I know who sold them my email address.

For example, if my name was John Smith and I signed up here, I would sign up with first name "John boards ie" and last name "Smith".

Anyway, I got spam with exactly that, after I signed up for one of those SEO / internet marketing sites (brad callen .com) while trying to promote my own site, and now I'm wondering if I can do something about it. Can I report him, or do I just have to put up with it?

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

How do you know "he" sold it?

Could've been hacked :cool:

How do you know it's a "him" also?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

The_B_Man wrote: »
    When I sign up to websites, I usually put the website name in the First Name text box, so if I get an email saying "Hi Mr site.com" then I know who sold them my email address.

Genius idea!! I'm going to start doing that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

This is just so mean! I say, bring back public floggings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Firblog

The_B_Man wrote: »
    and now I'm wondering if I can do something about it. Can I report him, or do I just have to put up with it?

Cheers.

You are doing something about it.. you're letting other people know what happens when you sign up to that site :D, also people googling that site may find threads like this to warn them off

• Registered Users Posts: 10,498 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Data Protection Act? Although it's an American company, so not sure how that works over borders. Probably illegal in America too though. The CAN-SPAM act?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
Advertisement