Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good GP?

Options
  • 23-10-2012 4:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi All,
    Firstly, its 4.45, and I have to up for work at 7.45, so that probably gives some indication of my problem! Which is this: I have very severe delayed sleep disorder, which means I don't get tired till very very late in the night. I lived in the states for awhile, and and when I was there I was prescribed melatonin for the problem, which was of enormous help. However I've been to two doctors in Dublin and both said they had never even heard of delayed sleep disorders or melatonin. I was just wondering if anyone can recomend a good gp in the Dublin area that has good knowledge of delayed sleep disorders, or sleeping problems in general? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/why-melatonin-may-be-dangerous-your-sleep
    I was in the US recently and happened to see this programme about the effects of melatonin which seems to be used fairly widespread there. I had thought about trying it myself at one stage but would be very cautious after watching this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 attiel

Hi Shint0
    I was actually using melatonin for almost a year in the states, and, aside from leaving me a bit groggy in the mornings, it was hugely effective and the only long-term solution, in my experience, to insomnia or delayed sleep phase disorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

You have my sympathy, I know the frustration of lying there at five in the morning and being desperate to sleep. I've ordered pharmaceutical grade melatonin online and am going to give it a go. Your own GP will probably refer you to a sleep clinic, there's a sticky at the top of this thread with a list. Hope you get sorted and if you do can you let us know how you got on? :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054969071

Hi Merkin,
    Firstly thank you very much- its always comforting to know I'm not the only person in the world struggling with this. I'm going to see a new GP tomorrow, one more familiar with sleep issues, who will hopefully be of some help. I've grown pretty cynical about doctors advice with these things though- no-one seems to have any advice for coping with this in the long-term. If you don't mind me asking, what brand of melatonin are you purchasing?
    Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Hi Attiel,
    Yes it's great when you find another person who suffers.The nights spent lying there PRAYING for sleep can make you feel like you're the only person it happens to! I did quite a bit of reading around the topic as well as discussing with my husband who is a scientist running a pharma and his advice was specific in sourcing pharmaceutical grade melatonin.I ordered mine from a company here in the UK called Agestop and they've emailed me to say the order has been dispatched.I will keep you posted! I ordered 180 of the 1Mg pills.Good luck and happy sleeping!

• Advertisement

Hi Merkin,
    Thanks for your advice regarding the melatonin. Can I just ask- how do you know its pharmaceutical grade? Did it work for you? I'm about to order some now so just curious!
    All the best,

Attiel

Advertisement