Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing from Vista 32bit to Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Options
  • 22-10-2012 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Just looking for a bit of advice. I recently installed Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit as a fresh install and formatted my hard-drive at the same time. However, now the PC is running dog slow and is constantly freezing. From doing a bit of googling, it might be a case that I have some residual 32 bit programmes remaining. Also, I can see a folder called "Program Files(x86)". Is that a 32bit folder?

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the PC running again (sorry if this sounds vague!)? Its hard to even get onto the internet with it at present to check for solutions.

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

SK1979 wrote: »
    Hi guys

Just looking for a bit of advice. I recently installed Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit as a fresh install and formatted my hard-drive at the same time. However, now the PC is running dog slow and is constantly freezing. From doing a bit of googling, it might be a case that I have some residual 32 bit programmes remaining. Also, I can see a folder called "Program Files(x86)". Is that a 32bit folder?

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the PC running again (sorry if this sounds vague!)? Its hard to even get onto the internet with it at present to check for solutions.

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks in advance
    What amount of RAM does it have? What was the reason of going from 32 bit Vista to 64 bit 7? The program Files (86) are 32 bit program files installed on 7, as you said you formatted the hard drive so their wouldn't be any programs left over from Vista.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Is it being Vista not enough of a reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Nothing wrong with the "Program Files(x86)" folder, it's where 32 bit programs get installed (which will be quite a lot of them).

OP, you say you did a "fresh install", but then later that there could be "residual" programs. Which is it? If you did a fresh install and wiped everything, there's no way there could possibly be residual programs

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Meesared wrote: »
    Is it being Vista not enough of a reason?
    Well I beg to differ, yes Vista can be bloated but with a bit of fine tuning it can work well, but the problem is not with Vista, it's with 7 and he gave no reason as to why he upgraded, I'd have to know if he was having a similar problem with Vista.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you formatted your drive then there would be no residual programs

If you didn't format the drive then you may have inherited old settings.

TBH unless you have lots and lots of RAM you might as well stay 32 bit.

Don't forget that none of your 32 bit drivers work, so make sure you have the latest drivers for everything too

Do a quick memtest / check the drive with diagnostics / check for malware - unlikely but best to rule it out

• Advertisement
Advertisement