Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gig Advice

• 19-10-2012 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

Hi All!

I have a sort of performance thing coming up in a couple of weeks. It's at a writer's festival and there's an acoustic session I've been asked to take part in. Thing is, while I write my own stuff and play guitar along with them, I have absolutely no idea how to broach the notion of a "gig". Like, do I just show up with my guitar and play and sing? How about nerves - the last time I sang in public I was 9 or 10 and it was at mass in a duet - is this just a hurdle I have to get over if I ever want a chance in music?

I guess I'm looking for any advice anybody might have in relation to gigging etc. I've never even done open mic before like! Much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    Hi All!

I have a sort of performance thing coming up in a couple of weeks. It's at a writer's festival and there's an acoustic session I've been asked to take part in. Thing is, while I write my own stuff and play guitar along with them, I have absolutely no idea how to broach the notion of a "gig". Like, do I just show up with my guitar and play and sing? How about nerves - the last time I sang in public I was 9 or 10 and it was at mass in a duet - is this just a hurdle I have to get over if I ever want a chance in music?

I guess I'm looking for any advice anybody might have in relation to gigging etc. I've never even done open mic before like! Much appreciated.

In my opinion the people who attend these type of shows are overwhelmingly supportive of new artists.
    Frankly it's an ideal opportunity for you to cut your teeth.
    It's likely that you won't be on for too long, so pick your best three or four songs, practise 'till you know them backwards and go out and give it loads.
    Sure you'll be nervous, that's part of the fun, but if you feel you've given it your best, you'll be high as a kite for a few DAYS afterwards.
    If you're not comfortable chatting between numbers then don't, you're not expected to give your 'back story', it's a gig not an after-dinner speech!
    Don't drink too much to settle the nerves, you'll regret it, and ruin your own enjoyment.
    Finally, good luck, it's a special time for you and one that you'll remember for the rest of your life, please post back and tell us how it went.

Remember, you're good, or you wouldn't be doing it.
    The audience is on your side.

Break a leg!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Couldn't agree more with 9959.

I've done an open mic night with my band before to see how we got on. We didn't perform an original, because to be honest, they're not ready.

But we did a couple of covers, and messed up a little in one of them when I blanked on the first line of the song, but the emcee just made a bit of a joke to ease us a bit till we got back on track.

We knew nobody, but they could not have been more welcoming.

You should go for it!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

logistics-wise, you probably wont have to bring a PA if someone else is running the night, but make sure you have everything else you might possibly need. Theres nothing worse than being at a gig and suddenly remembering you left your bass amp in a car 38 miles away (yes, i did that one night). Bring your guitar, strap, plenty spare strings, guitar leads, capo, plecs, and probably the most important of all, a tuner. If you're playing original stuff, few people will know if you hit a bum chord as most likely they've never heard the song, but everyone will know if you're out of tune.

For overcoming nerves, you could try the age old "pick a spot on the wall and sing to it" trick. Also, i think the advice above about taking it handy on the booze is probably the best advice you could get. Many a lad has taken a few drinks for the nerves and then made a bálls of the gig (yes, i did that too).

Try to enjoy it, thats probably the best advice i could give you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Thanks so much for the replies guys - sorry I didn't get to thank ye before now.

Well, I did it - probably around 30 or more people there which might not seem like a lot but it's LOADS when you've never sang in front of people before like.

I was so nervous beforehand and I messed up kinda with one song. I really made up for it with my best song though and I got some good feedback on it, on my voice, on my stage presence etc. I'm glad to have done it really but boy, is it nerve-wracking!

I showed up, myself and my guitar and sang to a bunch of people. YAY :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the replies guys - sorry I didn't get to thank ye before now.

Well, I did it - probably around 30 or more people there which might not seem like a lot but it's LOADS when you've never sang in front of people before like.

I was so nervous beforehand and I messed up kinda with one song. I really made up for it with my best song though and I got some good feedback on it, on my voice, on my stage presence etc. I'm glad to have done it really but boy, is it nerve-wracking!

I showed up, myself and my guitar and sang to a bunch of people. YAY :)

Great stuff, I'm really pleased that it went well. Roll on the next one!

• Advertisement
Advertisement