Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crystal Meth and Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

anhedonia wrote: »
    Just to be clear, I was by no means advocating meth use, obviously it can **** you up if abused, I was just making the point that its no worse or better than other stimulants, yet the amount of hysteria towards meth is disproportionate and amounts to typical media scaremongering.

Personally I didnt even find it that moreish, it was nice, but decent mdma blows it out of the water. I accept that doing it while travelling doesnt have the same addiction potential given the circumstances. But the people who lose the plot on meth most likely have underlying issues and would use other drugs daily to escape in the absence of meth. Its the mindset more than the substance.

Methamphetamine is very often really impure, due to the shítty reagents used in making it. I wouldn't go near it. That's not to say other drugs are pure, just that meth is waaay bad.

• Site Banned Posts: 71 ✭✭Zer0

I wouldn't touch it but there was a major find of it in Tralee a few months ago. It was actually a meth lab tbh, splashed across the front page of the local newspapers etc.. I dunno if it'd take off in Ireland but you never know. Heroin wasn't really a huge thing in Ireland until the late 70's early 80's when it was being pushed in areas and during that time Ireland was also under a major economic downturn.

But to be honest unless it's imported I don't understand why it'd take off because I doubt there'd be meth labs bar the rare odd one found. But I think that there's no point in getting paro about an ecodemic of such a drug because if it's going to happpen then it's going to happen.. Drugs will always be around in our society rather it be new ones or old staple ones. I don't think it matters which drug gets introduced these days, I think it's more upto the user and which type of high they want to chase or whatever's cheaper..?

I don't really care what happens because I don't use drugs. So if I passed a smack head or a crack head in the street off their box, I'd probably think well, that's nice you're off your head and having a nice time... Once you don't try to rob me, beg for money or start any hassle then I don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

dj jarvis wrote: »
    no its not you utter fool - have you ever been to dublin ?you really need to get out more and cop the f2ck on

idiotic post - stick to graffiti in toilets with a ****ty finger - that is the level your last post is at :eek:

Banned

Thinly veiled, I love Dublin...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

msg11 wrote: »
    I cannot compute what is going on in that photo, did someone try and open a bottle with there arse?

Possibly :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭klose

woodoo wrote: »
    I think you should just go straight to krokodil falan :D

Whhhyyyyyy did I search google images for krokodil! Those images can't be real :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    It's a known side affect. Mixture of the chemical's and the fact user's become lethargic and dont brush their teeth.
    shoos wrote: »
    It's one of the big tell tale signs, they call it "meth mouth".

Partly due to the ingredients and method of use, like it's incredibly acidic absolutely full to the brim of chemicals and often they'll rub in into their gums as they're taking it in a different form too. Just to get that quicker high.

Both of these are wrong. Tooth loss is due to combination of bruxism (involuntary jaw clenching) and dry mouth induced by crystal meth use. The bruxism causes tooth fractures and the lack of saliva prevents the body from re-mineralising the teeth

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Both of these are wrong. Tooth loss is due to combination of bruxism (involuntary jaw clenching) and dry mouth induced by crystal meth use. The bruxism causes tooth fractures and the lack of saliva prevents the body from re-mineralising the teeth

Some of the ingredients of meth are acidic causing dental decay,a lot of heavy users experience cravings for sugary foods too .

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

I can't see there been a big meth problem in Ireland anytime soon, the extremely negative press combined with the availability of other drugs should keep it a niche market. I know lots of people who have tried it, none of them went on to do it more than once or twice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

ireland has an abundance of crack but that has not really taking off either,i think the reason is down to the grade of heroin in ireland,we get afghan heroin that people can smoke to get high where as americans get the far inferior south american black tar heroin which mostly has to be injected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

Drug use is virtually epidemic in Ireland, it won't be long before it becomes a cheap alternative. 20 years ago when hash was the drug of choice there were clear boundaries of what was or not "ok" to use. While a few dabbled in speed or coke at moderate levels it wasn't until the advent of the head shops that people really started eating whatever was just available, with dire consequences. Heroin is everywhere now and the boundaries between what is an "acceptable" drug of choice and skank are non existent. They will just take what's readily available.

• Advertisement

pharmaton wrote: »
    Drug use is virtually epidemic in Ireland, it won't be long before it becomes a cheap alternative. 20 years ago when hash was the drug of choice there were clear boundaries of what was or not "ok" to use. While a few dabbled in speed or coke at moderate levels it wasn't until the advent of the head shops that people really started eating whatever was just available, with dire consequences. Heroin is everywhere now and the boundaries between what is an "acceptable" drug of choice and skank are non existent. They will just take what's readily available.

Lolwut?

Lolwut?
    sorry, must have hit a nerve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

What is this post about?

What will be a cheap alternative to what? So is hash not the illegal drug of choice now? It is news to me and most of the rest of the world if it is not? If it is not the drug of choice then what is? What do you even mean by drug of choice?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

heroin is a gateway drug

dirtyden wrote: »
    What is this post about?

What will be a cheap alternative to what? So is hash not the illegal drug of choice now? It is news to me and most of the rest of the world if it is not? If it is not the drug of choice then what is? What do you even mean by drug of choice?

Cannabis is still the drug of choice albeit as weed rather than resin, as in the one most commonly preferred by drug users as a whole. Meth if it became widely available might well be used a cheap alternative to other polydrug combinations (alcohol/coke/benzodiazepines/opioids)

fwiw my work brings me into close quarters with heroin addicts and drug users on a daily basis, if people really knew the extent of the amount of heroin addicts in their midst they would probably be just as concerned. I take it my post has offended the cannabis smokers of after hours who don't wish to see their drug of choice being spoken about in the same context as meth or heroin.

Cannabis is still the drug of choice albeit as weed rather than resin, as in the one most commonly preferred by drug users as a whole. Meth if it became widely available might well be used a cheap alternative to other polydrug combinations (alcohol/coke/benzodiazepines/opioids)

fwiw my work brings me into close quarters with heroin addicts and drug users on a daily basis, if people really knew the extent of the amount of heroin addicts in their midst they would probably be just as concerned. I take it my post has offended the cannabis smokers of after hours who don't wish to see their drug of choice being spoken about in the same context as meth or heroin.

What do you work at ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

mattjack wrote: »
    What do you work at ?

Pharmacist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I do myself but I'm not seeing anything to suggest an increase in use or an opening in the market with heroin/opiate users; are you?

mattjack wrote: »
    What do you work at ?

thats confidential, never the less I can assure you I'm not remotely interested about weed or its users..

thats confidential, never the less I can assure you I'm not remotely interested about weed or its users..

Are you Batman ? I work every day with heroin addicts myself too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

20 years ago when hash was the drug of choice there were clear boundaries of what was or not "ok" to use. While a few dabbled in speed or coke at moderate levels it wasn't until the advent of the head shops that people really started eating whatever was just available, with dire consequences.
    thats a crock of sh1te. The advent of headshops lol.Only a few dabbled in speed or coke?Really?You're clueless

Odysseus wrote: »
    I do myself but I'm not seeing anything to suggest an increase in use or an opening in the market with heroin/opiate users; are you?

I do! I only started working in the area over the last 12 months and quite honestly it was shocking to me. I grew up in the nineties and knew what people were using then, I wasn't removed from having a smoke myself which is why I find it so surprising. I'm also aware that perhaps this problem is just localised but as it's somewhere I'm familiar with it's still no less shocking/
    http://www.hrb.ie/health-information-in-house-research/alcohol-drugs/adru-news/adru-press-release-story/release/152/
    The average annual incidence of treated drug use per 100,000 among 15–64-year-olds was highest in the South East Regional Drugs Task Force (RDTF) area, followed by the North Dublin and the Southern RDTF areas.

returnNull wrote: »
    thats a crock of sh1te. The advent of headshops lol.Only a few dabbled in speed or coke?Really?You're clueless
    I'd take your post seriously if I thought you were interested in a genuine response. I have know several people personally who were hospitalised after taking head shop merch. This just didn't happen 20 years ago.

I do! I only started working in the area over the last 12 months and quite honestly it was shocking to me. I grew up in the nineties and knew what people were using then, I wasn't removed from having a smoke myself which is why I find it so surprising. I'm also aware that perhaps this problem is just localised but as it's somewhere I'm familiar with it's still no less shocking/
    http://www.hrb.ie/health-information-in-house-research/alcohol-drugs/adru-news/adru-press-release-story/release/152/

Sorry are you just talking about an increase in use and those seeking treatment for drug use in general, or an increse in meth use which is what your post seem to be implying.

Exactly what are you shocked at?

Odysseus wrote: »
    Sorry are you just talking about an increase in use and those seeking treatment for drug use in general, or an increse in meth use which is what your post seem to be implying.

Exactly what are you shocked at?

Obviously those seeking treatment in greater numbers highlights the the level of use which I can honestly admit to being completely unaware of prior to this and it's a level which I find shocking. More than that, it's the type of people who are there for treatment, people you would never expect to see using heroin and often quite young too.

I'd take your post seriously if I thought you were interested in a genuine response. I have know several people personally who were hospitalised after taking head shop merch. This just didn't happen 20 years ago.

Are you of the type of Opiod use that was occuring in Dublin as early as the 70, 80? We where the first country to report the abuse of Diconal in the 70s. The was a serious drug problem in certain parts of Dublin in those times. Though theonly treatment was either through Jervis St or youthe person was luckly to find a suitable GP who where viewed as pushers by the media.

The head shop certainly made certain substances easy to access, but we have always had a very interesting and hidden relationship with drugs in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

From your earlier post it seemed to indicate to me that you thought crystal meth was about to become the illegal drug of choice in Ireland, which to me was an extraodinary assumption to make. Almost as if you had been watching too much breaking bad.

I am really not sure where you are going with your comment on the cannabis smokers on after hours. Your post was sensationalist and that was why I asked a few questions of it. Again highlighting your comment in bold are there really that many heroin addicts in my midst? I am in Cork city I cant really say it is something I observe on a a daily basis. I am sure there are problems in sme areas but epidemic again I would say sensationalist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

This just didn't happen 20 years ago.
    Yes it did.

returnNull wrote: »
    Yes it did.
    If it did it didn't happen to anyone I know or grew up with.

• Advertisement

dirtyden wrote: »
    From your earlier post it seemed to indicate to me that you thought crystal meth was about to become the illegal drug of choice in Ireland, which to me was an extraodinary assumption to make. Almost as if you had been watching too much breaking bad.

I am really not sure where you are going with your comment on the cannabis smokers on after hours. Your post was sensationalist and that was why I asked a few questions of it. Again highlighting your comment in bold are there really that many heroin addicts in my midst? I am in Cork city I cant really say it is something I observe on a a daily basis. I am sure there are problems in sme areas but epidemic again I would say sensationalist.
    I can't convince you otherwise and I'll gladly leave it at that.

Advertisement