Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front Door

Options
  • 19-10-2012 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Looking for some advise....
    Am in the process of pricing for a new front door. The one we have is old and made of aluminium by the looks of it. Its not air tight and can be cold in the winter. Am looking for advise on what people think are better... Wood or PVC doors in relation to security/Heat retention etc? I was told by one company that Wooden doors will warp over time and PVC will fade. They obviously wanted me to get there GRP composite door...
    So any feedback would be great or peoples experience....
    If anyone has good or bad recommendations if they could PM me them either

Cheers....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Looking for some advise....
    Am in the process of pricing for a new front door. The one we have is old and made of aluminium by the looks of it. Its not air tight and can be cold in the winter. Am looking for advise on what people think are better... Wood or PVC doors in relation to security/Heat retention etc? I was told by one company that Wooden doors will warp over time and PVC will fade. They obviously wanted me to get there GRP composite door...
    So any feedback would be great or peoples experience....
    If anyone has good or bad recommendations if they could PM me them either

Cheers....

Well a salesman will usually rubbish products other that his own, thats how it works.
    So the basics,
    Wood, is a natural product and will absorbe water, if not protected, and can warp,
    Hardwood is obviously better that a softer wood, because of the above, but its more expensive.
    All timber products require treatment, wood preservative, water repellant etc, are you happy to do that Annually.

Upvc, should not fade, some recycled PVC will, so be careful that the panels on the door are not made from recycled PVC.
    No Maintenance, well fitted will be draft free, etc

Now the daddy, Composite doors, much better locks, security etc, heavier door, well fitted draft free etc, but the most expensive product

So match your budget to the info above, and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

thanx for that feedback...
    So he was not talkin bull to me when he said that composite doors are better than pvc and wooden doors...
    I would prefer to get whats best as am only goin to replace the door once so would like to do it with the Daddy of doors as you put it...

Cheers...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

thanx for that feedback...
    So he was not talkin bull to me when he said that composite doors are better than pvc and wooden doors...
    I would prefer to get whats best as am only goin to replace the door once so would like to do it with the Daddy of doors as you put it...

Cheers...

OK, so if you decide to get a Composite door, one obvious tip

there are TWO main suppliers of doors to the Irish market,

Apeer,
    http://www.apeer.co.uk/

and New World.
    http://www.nwd.uk.com/
    So your fitter will be buying the door from one of these, there are a few others, but the quality is not as good.

So you need a Co who has fitted these doors lots of times, has refrences, from satisfied customers, and jobs fitted they can show you.

The doors will be the same, if you get similar quotes, the only difference will be the quality of the fitting, and a badly fitted Composite door is a nightmare.

Expect to pay over 2 grand.

yeah well i was budgeting about 2K for it...
    You seem to know your stuff about these doors...
    If i send ya a Pm about a company i am looking at can you let me know if you have heard about them....

Cheers...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭daver123

i have a munster joinery hardwood door and it is solid and airtight, i took 3 people to lift the door it was that heavy i would have no problem recommending the door to anyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Villaines

martinn123 wrote: »

Apeer,

and New World.
    So your fitter will be buying the door from one of these, there are a few others, but the quality is not as good.

So you need a Co who has fitted these doors lots of times, has refrences, from satisfied customers, and jobs fitted they can show you.

The doors will be the same, if you get similar quotes, the only difference will be the quality of the fitting, and a badly fitted Composite door is a nightmare.

Apeer is made by nwd. There is another big crowd down south though. Profile developments they're called. Palladio.

I bought an apeer. It warps in sun, internal gasket poor, no spags on lock just hooks. I think the frame was poorly fitted, didn't seal perfectly, but I think lack of spags added to this.

Check locks and seals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

martinn123 wrote: »

Apeer,

and New World.

3 suppliers actually.

Profile Developments,in Glin,County LImerick.

They made my composite door and bespoke windows or me.

http://www.profiledevelopments.com/

http://www.profiledevelopments.com/contact/

and has anyone have good or bad experience with these suppliers????
    Or does one have to go thru an agent for them????

Cheers...

and has anyone have good or bad experience with these suppliers????
    Or does one have to go thru an agent for them????

Cheers...

Profile Developments couldnt have been any more helpfull to me.

Very happy indeed.:)

I posted pics of the door and bespoke windows and tripple glazed stained glass before.

Stained glass was hand laid by a friend of mine that does designer stained glass.

Did you get a front door from them?
    If so was it a composite front door?
    Did they fit also or did you source that yourself?

• Advertisement

Did you get a front door from them?
    If so was it a composite front door?
    Did they fit also or did you source that yourself?

Propper georgian 6 panel composite door and bespoke windows.

Supplied by them,and fitted by a builder mate of mine.

U-Value of 0.23.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 sanwawa

Usually I lurk on here to get the answers I want...but this doesnt seem to have been covered yet. There is a new company online...allirelanddoors

They claim to offer composite doors, high security etc. It looks really legitaimate. As I'm pricing doors, I got a call from a company in Lucan yesterday. They gave me a price of 2,300 for the kind of door I'm after. I told the woman on the phone about this internet company, she was shocked, and said ''there's no way they can be real composite doors'', and ''they must be 40mm doors.''
    Palladio doors etc are 70mm doors.
    After researching allirelanddoors again, they are 44mm doors. But aside from that, they seem like they have good security and are made of proper composite. I didn't mention yet that they're 725 incl VAT for the cheapest door, and 850 for them to fit it.

The way I see it, even if it is 26mm thinner, it's probably safer than the swollen old crock of an old wooden door & yale lock that I have now? Does it make any sense to splash out 2,300 on a ''real door'' ? It probably looks like a real composite door anyway which will deter all the ''burglars'' who break in through the front door, as opposed to smashing a window or trying to get through the back door.

Sorry for rambling!! I appreciate any thoughts from people in the know!

sanwawa wrote: »
    Usually I lurk on here to get the answers I want...but this doesnt seem to have been covered yet. There is a new company online...allirelanddoors

They claim to offer composite doors, high security etc. It looks really legitaimate. As I'm pricing doors, I got a call from a company in Lucan yesterday. They gave me a price of 2,300 for the kind of door I'm after. I told the woman on the phone about this internet company, she was shocked, and said ''there's no way they can be real composite doors'', and ''they must be 40mm doors.''
    Palladio doors etc are 70mm doors.
    After researching allirelanddoors again, they are 44mm doors. But aside from that, they seem like they have good security and are made of proper composite. I didn't mention yet that they're 725 incl VAT for the cheapest door, and 850 for them to fit it.

The way I see it, even if it is 26mm thinner, it's probably safer than the swollen old crock of an old wooden door & yale lock that I have now? Does it make any sense to splash out 2,300 on a ''real door'' ? It probably looks like a real composite door anyway which will deter all the ''burglars'' who break in through the front door, as opposed to smashing a window or trying to get through the back door.

Sorry for rambling!! I appreciate any thoughts from people in the know!

2300 for a palladio door is a bit of a ripp off in this day and age.

You will get a coloured Palladio Palermo Composite Door fitted with TG23 glass for around 1200-1300 euro these day..thats supply and fit.

Thanks Paddy, 2,300 is definetly a rip off. Plus, thats the bottom line. I'm only looking for a single, solid door, with a small diamond shaped piece of glass in the top half.

So, where is it that I can find doors at that price? I'd be much obliged :)

Thanks Paddy, 2,300 is definetly a rip off. Plus, thats the bottom line. I'm only looking for a single, solid door, with a small diamond shaped piece of glass in the top half.

So, where is it that I can find doors at that price? I'd be much obliged :)

I will PM you 3 different numbers and companies.

Give me a litte while,as I have to dig out my little black book.:)

paddy147 wrote: »

Cheers Paddy, that'd be great! Take your time, won't be contacting them till tomorrow anyway ;)

Cheers Paddy, that'd be great! Take your time, won't be contacting them till tomorrow anyway ;)

Found the black book.

PM Sent.:)

Found the black book.

recieved with many thanks :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Hi Paddy,
    Would you mind PM'ing on those contact details?
    I'm in the market for a front door too; have been putting it off due to cost so far, but going to have to bite the bullet eventually.
    Thanks!
    DD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Ritchi

Found the black book.

I'd appreciate a PM too if you don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 FreshStart

could you give me the number too. I am desperate to replace front door. Have a security risk now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 eskin

Paddy
    Is this the supplier you are referring to ?

http://www.profiledevelopments.com/?id=1

I am looking at gettig one of thes doors to install it inside an external sliding door on the front porch - not sure if I would need this quality of door from a security point of view, given that it will be inside a double glazed sliding door.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Fat Joe

Hi Paddy,

Would you mind PMing me on the these contact details also?

Thanks.

eskin wrote: »
    Paddy
    Is this the supplier you are referring to ?

http://www.profiledevelopments.com/?id=1

I am looking at gettig one of thes doors to install it inside an external sliding door on the front porch - not sure if I would need this quality of door from a security point of view, given that it will be inside a double glazed sliding door.

Sorry...I was a 1 month eh......"holiday".;):pac::o

Yes,thats the company who made my door....(Georgian 6 panel black composite)

Fat Joe wrote: »
    Hi Paddy,

Thanks.

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Johny 8

Anybody ever use allirelandwindowsanddoors.ie???

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Hi Paddy

Also got the name of EcoGlaze as a supplier over on AAM. Anybody know how they would compare?

We are thinking about upgrading our wooden front door (with single glass panes either side) to provide better insulation, as the CH is controlled by a stat in the hallway. I would be right in thinking such an upgrade would provide better heat control etc...Now whether it would ever pay back for itself is another debate!! :rolleyes:

Thanks
    W.

The amount of PMs Im getting over this Paladio composite door......

What the hell have I started here????:eek::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 FreshFish

Hi paddy147 i would like to get that numbers too, please...

i would also like to get some advise from you guys if you know any company that will do customized side panel for the front door. I know that grady joinery will do their own designs but they dont have palladio door.

is it maybe possible to get frame designed in from one and door from the other??

Advertisement