Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New type of poor: Middle-class poor

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

This does not compute, he already had bread ffs
    The first shop only had ciabatta. He wanted brioche.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I feel sorry for him, sure winter is coming after all.

Now is the winter of his discontent.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Kurz wrote: »
    Is he working class suddenly because his income has dropped? Is Bill Cullen middle class?

It depends on a lot more than what job he's doing, or what income he has at any one time. There is no real 'class' system in Ireland anyway, thankfully.. well, unless you're a Dáil family; then everyone's below you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

This does not compute, he already had bread ffs
    You can't make Amuse-Bouche out of breadrolls!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I feel a bit sorry for him, but I would ring everyone I knew in the world for a loan before I would go stealing. Even the v de p are only a phonecall away if things are that bad. Or there are soup kitchens. Stealing shouldn't even be on the list of options. He will find it even harder to find work tho now, poor fecker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

I know plenty of people who have been on game of thrones, they always take local extras for filming, if you pay an agency in belfast £50 and go down for a photo to be taken, anyone can appear on that

full of horse shít, as for any delusions he has about acting etc. get a real job if times are so tough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Was he caught becasuse he was "acting suspiciously"?

Actor! Pffft. I'm a movie director/model (in my own little mind) but sadly that's not really a goer, so I work instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Pottler wrote: »
    Was he caught becasuse he was "acting suspiciously"?

Actor! Pffft. I'm a movie director/model (in my own little mind) but sadly that's not really a goer, so I work instead.

Pottler direct and model away my friend because you are entitled to follow your heart, if you don't make any money at, just rob stuff..Live the dream Pottler, live the dream:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

this isn't the UK,we're a classless society.

pmcmahon wrote: »
    We do to so have class, moi muvver told me we was well classy.

• Advertisement

I've got class gushing out of my anus

Grace too...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

sigh,well played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Judge Halpin told the court that middle-class people unable to buy food for their children was a new type of poor that had emerged from the recession.

However the judge said there were “green shoots”.” He described the recent appearance of Taoiseach Enda Kenny on the front page of Time magazine as a “great launch for this country to show that we are pulling ourselves up by our boot straps”.

Irish Times

Any judge who spouts that kind of **** when delivering a judgement ought to be joining this chap on the dole queue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I've got class gushing out of my anus
    That's gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

Kinski wrote: »
    Irish Times

Any judge who spouts that kind of **** when delivering a judgement ought to be joining this chap on the dole queue.

^ agreed, the FÚCK DOES TIME MAGAZINE HAVE TO DO WITH PASSING JUDGMENT IN A COURT OF LAW?

dvpower wrote: »
    That's gas.

Must be condensed so..

no wonder it isn't selling

Must be condensed so..

no wonder it isn't selling
    Try and interest Shell in it - they'll pipe the stuff from the ar5ehole of nowhere if it's cheap enough you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I is not just class, I is bleeding deadly:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Kurz wrote: »
    You're confusing middle-income with middle class. Most people in Ireland are middle income and are working class.
    to define 'middle-class' is close to impossible.

middle-income is being used here to indicate middle-class, as it's an income issue, not a socio-political issue.

this guy is not middle-income in financial terms and in this context is therefore not middle class.

'K?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

ArtSmart wrote: »
    to define 'middle-class' is close to impossible.

middle-income is being used here to indicate middle-class, as it's an income issue, not a socio-political issue.

this guy is not middle-income in financial terms and in this context is therefore not middle class.

'K?

The use of middle class or middle income refers to the family. It does not mention the wife in any of the reports but my guess is that she is working and drawing a "middle" range salary. Which according to the actors sob story must not be enough along with his dole and welfare payments to keep the family afloat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

martomcg wrote: »
    He admitted on the radio to drinking wine with his wife every other week or once a month. Cant see someone who see's himself as an "actor" spending any less than E6 on a bottle. Which is probably what the bread and milk he stole would have cost.

If he worked as an actor, then that's what he is, no need for the quotation marks or pretension

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

If he worked as an actor, then that's what he is, no need for the quotation marks or pretension

I play football, does that make me a footballer?

He's not drawing any money from acting and thats why i've been using "actor".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Robbo wrote: »
    The ould "researching it for a role" excuse.

Or the ol' Chris Langham method, as I like to call it. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

At 57, getting a real job of any sort is well nigh impossible. No one wants 57 year old men. Once you're over fifty even getting a job within your profession is slim. I personally don't think I'll ever have a real job again. Neither will he.

So there's little point in him leaving acting behind. He might as well stick with it at this point. The nature of the 'profession' is that you get the role if you fit with the directors view of it. If not you don't. It's pretty hit and miss.

As it is now unless someone comes up with a story about an out of work actor who turns to crime to feed his children. Then there's little enough work.

Incidentally someone cast doubt on his story of being picked up by a limousine while working on Game of Thrones. Actually that's normal for cast members on many productions even for lesser members of the cast. It's just a way of ensuring they get there on time. Even extras have occasionally been ferried that way. It's no big deal really.

As for the middle class argument. The description is all a bit vague in this country. Most people in reality are lower middle class. To me the middle class are the professionals who are high earners. One of my sisters is essentially middle class. But another would be more accurately called working class. Where does that leave me? In the middle?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

martomcg wrote: »
    I play football, does that make me a footballer?

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

He should take up skip-diving.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

He was on Joe Duffy as well.

When asked why he didn't contact the Community Welfare Officer he said:

"I didn't know about that sort of thing"

Reminded me of a time I saw a few Irish lads on the train from Schiphol to Amsterdam, when asked for tickets they replied with:

"Ah shure I didn't see anyone looking for tickets when I was getting on so I thought it was free"

But driving to a shop in a car that you paid to put petrol in to steal some food is just madness.

Fúck sake, i'd be selling stuff in my house before I'd go stealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

He did a Winona. I think it is an actor thing.

You're saying that he's got a Big Brown Beaver ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

there's no such thing as poor in this country anymore, only people who do not have the coping skills to manage or budget properly.

too many folk hanging onto a lifestyle they can no longer afford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

I know loads of people like that, who think they have a God given right to work in the profession they chose, regardless of the fact there's no work and no money in it. I think it's pathetic, especially when you have kids. I'm all for the arts and creative stuff and blah-de-blah, but fcking well do it in your spare time and stop expecting other people to support you while you try to live the dream.

I really want to be a translator, but work is so scarce that you end up doing loads for free until you get experience. So I do that at weekends (translations for charities etc) and my day job, which I don't really like, pays the bills. I know people who refuse to do anything but translation, so sponge off their parents or the dole while they sit at home all day because how dare anyone force them to do anything but their dream job?

This guy might be in his fifties now, but he wasn't always. Why didn't he train as something useful back then? My dad is around the same age and when I was born he quit being a hippy, sold his art studio and trained as an accountant because he knew it wasn't fair to have a family he'd never be able to support. Plenty of people do acting, art, music etc in their free time. There was hardly anyone at my last place of work who wasn't in a band.

Advertisement