Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple extends iMac hard drive replacements to '09-10 models

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Because this is the iDevices forum. Mac forum is here: Mac Forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

whiterebel wrote: »

Because this is the iDevices forum. Mac forum is here: Mac Forum
    Was actually gonna put it there but went for here instead...yea you're right though.

Mod: Move/Delete whatever, I dont care. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

Very important these drives are replaced. this is a different program than usual. it is a recall. even if you imac is functioning properly you should back it up and get it into your local Apple Centre for Hard disk replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DFS UTD

HI
    I have a late 2009 21.5 iMac.
    How do I find out if I have a seagate harddrive (tried looking in system preferences) but couldnt find hard drive name.

If I do have a seagate HD - what should I do about the replacement programme

thanks

DFS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

DFS UTD wrote: »
    HI
    I have a late 2009 21.5 iMac.
    How do I find out if I have a seagate harddrive (tried looking in system preferences) but couldnt find hard drive name.

If I do have a seagate HD - what should I do about the replacement programme

thanks

DFS
    :confused: It was in the link!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DFS UTD

yes its in the link - you type in the serial number of the imac in the box in the link - and it'll tell you if your machine is in scope or not - mine wasnt (the serial number is located on the underside of the pedestal - in TINY print) -

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

DFS UTD wrote: »
    yes its in the link - you type in the serial number of the imac in the box in the link - and it'll tell you if your machine is in scope or not - mine wasnt (the serial number is located on the underside of the pedestal - in TINY print) -

If your serial number isn't included, then its not covered by the replacement programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

So I typed in my serial number and I am eligible for a hard drive replacement. However I haven't experienced any issues. This is the first I've heard about this, and it's going to be a right pain reinstalling everything.

most Apple repair centre's should copy the data for you. some charge, some don't. you should always have a backup of your data either way.

Just because you haven't experienced issues doesn't mean you won't. this is unlike any other program apple had done. They usually wait for your machine to fail before giving you a replacement. but this is a Recall. they will replace your drive regardless of whether it is exhibiting issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

OK - so we have one of these at home and the drive is covered. But the problem is that we have Parallels 5.0 installed, along with Windows 7, Outlook, and Microsoft Office. We've pointed out to Apple that these are all one-off only installation licences and they say this is our problem?:confused: There's about €350 worth of software involved there.

bootcamp will be your problem. as for one off installs. all these apps/ OS's can be reinstalled.

bootcamp will be your problem. as for one off installs. all these apps/ OS's can be reinstalled.

Is that true? I thought they were specific on the purchase about one-PC licences? No boot camp AFAIK 'cos it's Parallels. Thanks for getting back BTW.:)

if no bootcamp then you can easily move data to a new HDD. I'd say all your sw would be left intact from a good service provider. provided ofcourse that faulty drive doesn't fail! I'd always recommend you backup before you drop it into a service centre as the back is your responsibility.

if no bootcamp then you can easily move data to a new HDD. I'd say all your sw would be left intact from a good service provider. provided ofcourse that faulty drive doesn't fail! I'd always recommend you backup before you drop it into a service centre as the back is your responsibility.

Thanks for that! Already backup up with Time Machine and I think Office, Outlook, etc were being backed up today. The drive seems OK, but the Mac was taking five minutes to boot up a couple of weeks ago and then rectified itself. Apple said a company will call and look at it first (we have Apple Care) and then it will be gone for ten working days.:(

Thanks for your help!:)

ten days is mad!

ten days is mad!

Yea. Completely nuts. We thought we could bring it to a centre ourselves and they would do same day turnaround.

7upfree wrote: »
    Yea. Completely nuts. We thought we could bring it to a centre ourselves and they would do same day turnaround.

We got an official email at home today from apple about these:

Dear iMac owner,

Apple has determined that certain 1TB Seagate hard drives used in 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac systems may fail. These systems were sold between October 2009 and July 2011.

Our records show that you have an iMac with an affected 1TB Seagate hard drive. Apple will replace your hard drive with a new one, free of charge, under the iMac 1TB Seagate Hard Drive Replacement Program.

Please choose one of the following options to get a replacement hard drive.

• Apple Authorised Service Provider - find one here.

• Apple Technical Support - contact us for local service options.

Apple recommends replacing your affected hard drive as soon as possible. Before you go in for service, please back up your data. Learn more about backup options.

Additional Information

You will need to have the original Mac OS installation discs that were supplied with your iMac in order to reinstall your operating system, other applications and any backed up data after your hard drive is replaced.

This worldwide Apple programme does not extend the standard warranty coverage of the iMac.

Apple will replace affected 1TB Seagate hard drives, free of charge, for three years from your iMac's original date of purchase or until 12 April 2013, whichever provides longer coverage for you.

Apple will continue to evaluate service data and provide extensions to this programme as needed.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Apple Inc.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

7upfree wrote: »
    We got an official email at home today from apple about these:
    I got that too as my HD was one of the affected ones. And back in February my hard drive failed so I took it in and got it replaced. They didn't charge me for the labour but the hard drive was a bit of money. Do you reckon they'll give me a credit note for the cost of the drive?! I'll pop in to the store at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I got the e-mail from Apple too, absolutely raging! I need my iMac for work and can't go without it for any amount of time let alone ten ****ing days!

• Advertisement

You've got until [at least] April next year, so if you're due holidays at some point before then, you could arrange it so that it's away while you're away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Also got the dreaded email today, gonna be an operation backing up then having to reinstall everything. Pain in the arse, Ted.

Gordon wrote: »
    You've got until [at least] April next year, so if you're due holidays at some point before then, you could arrange it so that it's away while you're away.

I'm self employed so I don't get holidays - if I don't work, I don't get paid :( I've e-mailed a couple of different authorised repair places to see if I can find somewhere who can do it faster (and install an SSD drive in place of the optical drive whilst it's open)

I got that too as my HD was one of the affected ones. And back in February my hard drive failed so I took it in and got it replaced. They didn't charge me for the labour but the hard drive was a bit of money. Do you reckon they'll give me a credit note for the cost of the drive?! I'll pop in to the store at some point.

I'd certainly try it! What have you got to lose? I'd get onto Apple first though.

Do you reckon they'll give me a credit note for the cost of the drive?! I'll pop in to the store at some point.

At the bottom of this link, it says you contact them regarding a refund - http://www.apple.com/ie/support/imac-harddrive/?cid=CDM-EU-3708&cp=em-P0013590-192445&sr=em

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    At the bottom of this link, it says you contact them regarding a refund - http://www.apple.com/ie/support/imac-harddrive/?cid=CDM-EU-3708&cp=em-P0013590-192445&sr=em
    Was just about to pop into town to speak with them, cheers, that wasn't on the email!

So they've logged my case and will be contacting me about it, looks like I'll probably be due a refund, rock and roll.

Was just about to pop into town to speak with them, cheers, that wasn't on the email!

So they've logged my case and will be contacting me about it, looks like I'll probably be due a refund, rock and roll.

They're normally pretty good about things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

Dropped mine in to Galmac today and I should have it back tomorrow, Thursday at latest.

Fatboydim wrote: »
    Dropped mine in to Galmac today and I should have it back tomorrow, Thursday at latest.

Did u get it back yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

Did u get it back yet?

I used compub in Dundrum myself and dropped it off on the Friday. I was away all the next week for work, hence could afford not to have the machine, but it only took them a couple of working days to get the machine fixed. They said they had to order the parts, but I imagine if you co-ordinate with them beforehand they should be able to preorder and cut down on the delivery time. I'd suggest giving the suuplier a ring and sounding them out first.

Advertisement