Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absolute Sh1t

Options
  • 17-10-2012 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

I've started a new job in D2 and I walk from bachelors every morning to pearse st and the biggest thing Ive noticed is the amount of dog sh1t on the paths and roads that has been smushed inot the ground.

Every morning without fail, I see at least 1 dirty pile of dog muck on my travels and I just pray that it will never be my shoe that has to be cleaned!!!!

Is there no cameras in the city that can catch the owners, fair enough some of the dogs may be on their own and off their leash but at least we can catch the owners who are unmannerly enough no to clean up after their dog!!!

Any1 else having the same tip-toe-ing feeling in the city???
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Its absolutely disgusting. I walk up Sandwith Street (off Pearse Street) twice a day and I am sick of dodging it. On one stretch of footpath there can be up to 10 piles. Its very difficult to push a pram and dodge it and I look pretty foolish trying to. If you aren't going to clean up after your dog - you shouldnt have one. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

Ha, that's exactly the street I was referring too....disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Funny you should mention this. I was walking down Francis street yesterday and couldn't get over the amount of dog ****. It is disgusting.
    You do see some people cleaning up after their dogs but most don't seem to give a toss. It probably discourages those who do. We have no civic pride in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Stoneybatter is smothered in dog sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I used to live on Philipsburgh Ave in Fairview and that was a complete blackspot for it but i do think its a Dublin wide problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Same on Clanbrassil Street/New Street South. Shop and restaurant owners should be kind of responsible to clean the footpath in front of their house (and be provided by free litter bags in exchange), since many dog owners seem to give a toss about the mess, their pets leave behind.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Erne street is the same

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

Could be worse, imagine being in a wheelchair and getting that stuff on your hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I've noticed it a lot lately on the Clonliffe Road. Makes the walk to the bus a bit of a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Well, why not send off a email to Dublin Councillors?
    Request that they send the litter warden round to issue a few fines. They just might make a difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭flanzer

It's never policed properly. Dogs should be confiscated off their owners if caught. You wouldn't see it in any city in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭emmbaasee

flanzer wrote: »
    It's never policed properly. Dogs should be confiscated off their owners if caught. You wouldn't see it in any city in the world

Come on now !
    It's by no means unique to Ireland
    If dogs were confiscated off there owners it would stop over night. The dog warden would probably need armed protection !
    People love there dogs, but not cleaning up after them.. Disgusting

emmbaasee wrote: »
    Come on now !
    If dogs were confiscated off there owners it would stop over night. The dog warden would probably need armed protection !
    People love there dogs, but not cleaning up after them.. Disgusting

We don't need dog wardens to police it, the Gardaí can. Considering it like littering only 10 times worse.

I know plenty of dog owners who bring a bag with them and dispose of the sh!t safely.

Come on now !

You're right. You might see it in some of the slums of Soweto or Rio.

No modern city has the same problem

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

OldBean wrote: »

Yes, it's getting to be a bit of a problem. I wonder who you can complain to about it.

There doesn't seem to be any signs up or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭emmbaasee

flanzer wrote: »
    We don't need dog wardens to police it, the Gardaí can. Considering it like littering only 10 times worse.

I know plenty of dog owners who bring a bag with them and dispose of the sh!t safely.

Would the gardai not already have this power ?
    I would like to think they would under litter legislation..
    They gardai have enough sh1t to be dealing with :D

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

skeg16 wrote: »
    I've started a new job in D2 and I walk from bachelors every morning to pearse st and the biggest thing Ive noticed is the amount of dog sh1t on the paths and roads that has been smushed inot the ground.

Every morning without fail, I see at least 1 dirty pile of dog muck on my travels and I just pray that it will never be my shoe that has to be cleaned!!!!

Is there no cameras in the city that can catch the owners, fair enough some of the dogs may be on their own and off their leash but at least we can catch the owners who are unmannerly enough no to clean up after their dog!!!

Any1 else having the same tip-toe-ing feeling in the city???
    Love2love wrote: »
    Its absolutely disgusting. I walk up Sandwith Street (off Pearse Street) twice a day and I am sick of dodging it. On one stretch of footpath there can be up to 10 piles. Its very difficult to push a pram and dodge it and I look pretty foolish trying to. If you aren't going to clean up after your dog - you shouldnt have one. Simple.

It's unreal that you mention Sandwith Street area, because I was only thinking the same! I walk around there regularly and it's unbelievable - there is also Hanover Street and there beside the Spar, on the opposite side of the street by the flats, the entire street is just caked into it!

Ireland is unreal like that, I was in New Zealand a couple of years back and the place was spotless (Queenstown and other places).

DOG OWNERS - It's your responsibility to clean up after your dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

Ryt Guys, seen as I am not the only 1 who is getting annoyed with this situation (jersey shore style :D) i have sent an email to some councilor from Dublin:

"Hi Kieran,

As I am not a native of Dublin I hope you are the wight person to correspond to but if not could you please point me in the right direction.

Unfortunately I am drawn to email a higher power in this case as I believe the situation has become increasingly worse. I am referring to the amount of dog excrement on Dublin streets. I from the midlands and am well used to a bit of natures environments but as I make my walk every morning to Pearse St I find myself tip-toe-ing every pathway.

I believe with all the camera and surveillance in the city we should be able to catch the owners of some of the animal who are let loose as to fine them. Is there no protocols currently in place to monitor this annoying act???

It seems I am not the only one noticing the issue:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056783341

Some answers/help would be positive."

Lets see what he thinks....

oh, btw, walked to work this morning and I counted 3 dog Sh1ts on Sandwith Street :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Come on now !

I live in the Netherlands and it's extremely rare to see dog eggs here. People either clean up after their dogs or take them to designated areas. They take a lot of pride in their country.

You'll also frequently see these in the pavement as a friendly reminder: http://dustyburrito.blogspot.nl/2009/09/amsterdam-dog-poop-sidewalk-tiles.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭De Bhál

dog eggs - that's a good one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

SubBusted wrote: »
    Could be worse, imagine being in a wheelchair and getting that stuff on your hands.
    people in wheel chairs dont push themselves by the tyres you know. they use metal attached to the wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭sticksman

It does be awful along James St from the hospital right up to St Catherine's Church on Thomas Street. I usually walk on the hospital side of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

people in wheel chairs dont push themselves by the tyres you know. they use metal attached to the wheels

Easy enough to touch the wheel by mistake though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

I have actually heard of a way of stopping this.

If you wipe the dog owners nose in the mess after each time they leave one on the foot path, apparently after a week or so they stop doing it and take the mess away with them.

Not sure if I have that totally correct but it's definitely something along those lines

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

Dog nappies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

it's worth noting that not all **** on the pavements are from dogs, lot of human **** as well - perhaps peoplecould use toilets?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

OldBean wrote: »

Serious lack of bins in the area unfortunately. Even on the streets with houses where there's loads of the signs notifying you of a fine if you don't pick up. I walk my OH's dog in the area and end up doing most of the walk carrying little bags of dog **** :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

Twee. wrote: »
    Serious lack of bins in the area unfortunately. Even on the streets with houses where there's loads of the signs notifying you of a fine if you don't pick up. I walk my OH's dog in the area and end up doing most of the walk carrying little bags of dog **** :rolleyes:

agreed 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

Navan Road is the same. Your dog, YOUR responsibility, Clean up after Your pet.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

adamski8 wrote: »

It could still easily get on their hands or clothes as its possible to rub/contact the wheels, seriously unhygenic
    Twee. wrote: »

So, i've a dog, its a pain if there isnt a bin but take it home if you have to, one bag inside another, its tough.

As a dog owner, see plenty of people out walking their dogs and quite a number just let their dog squat and ****.
    See it plenty, once greystones beach, two women yacking, dog takes a dump, they just flick some sand over it, felt like bollocking them, but you'd never end doing it as so many are at it,Id have to apply that reason to everyone, theres a chance some people will not take too friendily to being told off, set their dog on you, attack you, they probably wont pick the muck up and throw it at you though.

lots just ignoring their dog, I think its the I didnt see it so i dont care, people should be shamed into it.

Advertisement