Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where I will Find the best treatment For Alzheimer’s / Dementia

Options
  • 17-10-2012 12:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6

hey friends pls help me to find the best treatment for Alzheimer’s / Dementia

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

:confused:

Not sure what you mean, my mother has alzeimhers and I wouldnt be asking for treatment tips on an online forum. I suggest you contact your GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭dragonkin

One thing I would suggest is to look at askapatient a lot of the drugs given out by GPs are very ineffective. See also Bad Pharma and this article by the same guy.

If you want to try some non prescription options here are some ideas:
    • Saturated fat (coconut oil is best) and lots of meat
    • Exercise
    • Gingko (can be bought online as it's not available in Ireland due to pharmacutical companies interference same as st. johns wart)
    • Omega 3s from fish oils
    • Vitamin D is good for brain health
    • Ayurvedic medicines such as this one
    • Maca root powder, can be bought in health food shop
    • Forgot to add turmeric, excellent source of curcumin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Has someone you know been diagnosed with Alzheimers/dementia

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 tabrezrocks

Thanks dragonkin for your suggestion , someone advice me to contact some home care service, they will take care and get treatment for this, can u please help me for this

mattjack wrote: »
    Has someone you know been diagnosed with Alzheimers/dementia

no but i want to kno

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

There's a history of Alzheimers , vascular dementia and Huntingtons disease in my own family.. there's nothing you can do for these disease's after diagnosis other than medication to help the patient sleep at night,medication to control seizures and reduce the risk of more strokes in the case of vascular dementia.

Look into suitable help in the home,social workers if children are involved and a long term acknowledgement that eventually the patient will have to go into care.
    It might be worth investigating the different types of residential care available too and looking into Wards of Court and Power of Attorney.

I honestly don't there is anything you can do to prevent or stop these disease's other than trying to eat healthily ,a little excercise and finding something that engages and occupies your mind.

mattjack wrote: »
    There's a history of Alzheimers , vascular dementia and Huntingtons disease in my own family.. there's nothing you can do for these disease's after diagnosis other than medication to help the patient sleep at night,medication to control seizures and reduce the risk of more strokes in the case of vascular dementia.

Look into suitable help in the home,social workers if children are involved and a long term acknowledgement that eventually the patient will have to go into care.
    It might be worth investigating the different types of residential care available too and looking into Wards of Court and Power of Attorney.

I honestly don't there is anything you can do to prevent or stop these disease's other than trying to eat healthily ,a little excercise and finding something that engages and occupies your mind.

thanks for ur important information, do you know any good home care or like this then please suggest me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You need to consult a GP who can refer you to a Geriatrician. There are currently drugs available to delay the worst effects of the disease but no cure yet unfortunately. A professional will be the best person to advise you. For general information you can contact http://www.alzheimer.ie/Home.aspx

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    You need to consult a GP who can refer you to a Geriatrician. There are currently drugs available to delay the worst effects of the disease but no cure yet unfortunately. A professional will be the best person to advise you. For general information you can contact http://www.alzheimer.ie/Home.aspx

Thanks Rig but as we know there is no any treatment for this yet, then think that i get my grand mother to a health care home for more care of her health,

please suggest me some best service providers name in kilkenny

Advertisement