Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Working on iPad also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Joe Hart

I really wish I hadn't bothered with Sky. It has been an absolute disaster since I ordered. Now looking at 2 weeks without broadband because of their repeated mess ups. Stupid ****ing proprietary router must be the only company to use one.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

Same here. Biggest mistake ever to join Sky BB. At least Eircom BB always worked.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Likewise guys couldnt agree more.

A very quick explanation of the crap ive had with them.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83893573&postcount=1115

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

New issue - anyone else seeing this?? Speedtest is good - 13Mb. But downloads from itunes have completely slowed down. 6 hours for a sd movie. and you tube buffering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Hi all,

I've had Sky a few weeks and have had no problems until tonight.

My speed has dropped to below 1MB. I'm so pissed off.

I've rebooted the router but it has made no difference.
    I also ruled out an issue with my laptop as speedtest on iphone and android device is also < 1MB.
    Is anyone else getting this tonight?

2609496251.png

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

Convinced that iTunes is being throttled but my speedtest is still reasonable.
    Spotify streams fine but YouTube is a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 NEWGUY2013

Hi all im with sky about 5 weeks now was so happy with them untill today i was getting 18 mb down now i cant even get 2 mb down anyone no whats going on im in westmeath.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

cork_south wrote: »
    Hi all,

I also ruled out an issue with my laptop as speedtest on iphone and android device is also < 1MB.

2609496251.png
    Yup got that for the past three days. Seems like now they have us hooked with a 12 month contract, it's time to see the real sky.

Prior to that they had been excellent, forget all the technical bs cs make you perform. It's all on their end, youtube is atrocious as well as speedtest and all other speedtesting sites out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

I was with them for eight days when I phoned up to cancel, they asked why and I told them that I was getting a solid 12mbps with Eircom and last sunday I was getting 0.5 with them. The guy asked me to hold so he could speak to his line manager, two minutes later he came back and gave me my UAN number, no offer to try and fix the problem or offer an apology. He even told me that I had 30 days to get out of the contract.

By chance Eircom phoned me the next day and offered to match Skys price so I am back with Eircom from next Tuesday. Can't wait as Sky has been a bollox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

With sky now since Wedensday, getting a stable 12mb, this is the best so far.

2602428863.png

They've said my line speed will be unstable for a week or two, which is fine. Only ever got 6mb with Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

2609772836.png

Pleased with Sky as well. Before I was only getting about 6-7 Mb/s with 56ms minimum. Now my ping and download speeds have improved a lot as you can see. It's great downloading games at 2.2MB/s from Steam.

I was getting 14.5mb the first couple of days then it went to less than 1mb. Netflix buffers for 4 hours before you can watch something. I am less than a mile from an adsl2 exchange on fresh copper and had a stable 10.5mb with eircom. I was lured by the thought of 17mb. At least there is a 30 day cooling off period to cancel without penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Joe Hart

Is there anyway to hack the sky hub to open it up and use it like a standard router? Change DNS settings etc. I quite like it as a piece of hardware, getting a better signal than my old router.

I use opendns for internet filtering but once on Sky you cannot change the dns settings per se, but what I did was switch off the DHCP on the sky router and let another router on the network serve the DHCP IP addresses. This way I was able to direct the DNS to opendns servers without messing with the sky router.

cork_south wrote: »
    Hi all,

2609496251.png

The speeds are back to normal today.
    I hope last night was just a glitch.

2611159903.png

EDIT: Back to very bad speeds again tonight, seems to be an evening thing :-(
    2611715009.png`

EDIT: It's back to normal there now again today. I never had this issue with Eircom.
    I couldnt stream a TV series last night.
    Do you think they throttle usage by night?
    I sent Sky an email anyway so awaiting feedback.
    2612572246.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

ClonNGB wrote: »
    I was getting 14.5mb the first couple of days then it went to less than 1mb. Netflix buffers for 4 hours before you can watch something. I am less than a mile from an adsl2 exchange on fresh copper and had a stable 10.5mb with eircom. I was lured by the thought of 17mb. At least there is a 30 day cooling off period to cancel without penalty.

But they did say speeds would be erratic for the first two weeks, how long have you had it in?

For a while this evening the sky speeds came back to normal, ie 15mb down so i rented an itunes movie, after 10 mins speed dropped to half a meg and itunes buffering for 7 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

sky broadband disconnecting every five mins, speeds are probably the best i've had with them when its up.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

Back to Skys old tricks for me too......

2615815036.png

No sign of the Caller ID problem being fixed either??

I surrender now, I really think I'll cancel - I think they have a LOT of teething problems it seems....

• Advertisement

I'm curious about the router lock-in. Magnet used to be the same but I managed to get some third party routers working on their system. Magnet use RFC1483 authentication rather than PPPoE like Eircom's network uses. I wonder if Sky are the same?

Then again, on Bitstream lines they should still be using PPPoE, so I guess the username and password might be the problem.

Very curious though that ay times speeds are quite good and then suddenly abysmal. Are they using old technology in the exchange ? Even 5 years ago i was getting better speeds from eircom. It looks to me like itunes / apple tv is unusable now, while netflix is fine. Is there some throttling on the itunes traffic by sky. ? I will leave them another few days before i cancel. Getting regular calls from eircom to go back to them. Their free three month package will cover the costs of the sky disaster. I expected a lot better from sky and BT.

Hi guys can I ask when you speeds started to fall,my speeds started on Friday evening up till then it was going great up 18 mb down was so happy with it. Now it's under 2mb I even tested it at 6am this morning and I got around 3mb. Called sky and they told me maybe eircom are doing work in the area and that's what's causing the problem I'm just very annoyed I'm with sky since 3 march and it was going great until Friday I just hope this is not a picture of what's to come.

Thanks

My speeds are generally ok during the daytime but from evening on my 15mb down evaporates to .5mb to 2mb. The first 10 days sky said it was line training but that is bs. On the unlimited package they promise no congestion. This weekend has been the worst with everyone inside streaming netflix probably

Newguy, do you realise you only have a day or two left on your cooling off period (30 days) ? If you wait too long and they dont fix it you are tied in for a year

NEWGUY2013 wrote: »
    Hi guys can I ask when you speeds started to fall,my speeds started on Friday evening up till then it was going great up 18 mb down was so happy with it. Now it's under 2mb I even tested it at 6am this morning and I got around 3mb. Called sky and they told me maybe eircom are doing work in the area and that's what's causing the problem I'm just very annoyed I'm with sky since 3 march and it was going great until Friday I just hope this is not a picture of what's to come.

Thanks

Hi,
    Mine was working lovely until Friday too. What exchange are you on?

I opened a ticket with Sky but they need to wait for Eircom to get back to them which will be during the week.
    It's certainly not a problem on my end, I've disabled wires on all my devices and connected a laptop directly to the router over the eth cable and am still getting terrible speeds.
    The speeds seem to drop drastically (at night) since Friday.
    During the day on Saturday it was fine again, hitting around 10MB, then on Saturday night it was back down to 1MB.
    Sunday (today) was the same, speed was great during the day but once 8/9PM comes I'm back to 1MB again.

This is my current connection speed, WTF :(
    2615921756.png

From the trace route I ran below it looks like Sky are using BTs routers and eircoms line so getting help from Sky with this is going to be tricky.
    I am seriously considering going back to Eircom, even though they are a rip off it's clear that Sky have a lot of issues.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    C:\Users\>tracert www.google.ie

Tracing route to www.google.ie [74.125.138.94]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:
    1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms SkyRouter.Home [192.168.0.1]
    2 68 ms 71 ms 64 ms lo250.bas111.bmt.btireland.net [193.95.137.154]
    3 98 ms 102 ms 100 ms vlan101.rt001.bmt.btireland.net [193.95.141.1]
    4 48 ms 49 ms 50 ms teng0-0-0-0.core001.bmt.btireland.net [193.95.14
    0.4]
    5 42 ms 37 ms 37 ms teng0-0-0-5.core001.cwt.btireland.net [193.95.12
    9.47]
    6 41 ms 46 ms 49 ms ge0-1-0.br001.cwt.btireland.net [193.95.129.55]
    7 67 ms 65 ms 69 ms google-gw.br001.cwt.esat.net [193.120.250.178]
    8 75 ms 37 ms 36 ms 209.85.252.196
    9 36 ms 38 ms 36 ms 209.85.253.203
    10 * * * Request timed out.
    11 50 ms 51 ms 47 ms dn-in-f94.1e100.net [74.125.138.94]
    Trace complete.

C:\Users\>tracert www.google.com
    Tracing route to www.google.com [74.125.138.147]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:
    1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms SkyRouter.Home [192.168.0.1]
    2 65 ms 62 ms 60 ms lo250.bas111.bmt.btireland.net [193.95.137.154]
    3 99 ms 102 ms 99 ms vlan101.rt001.bmt.btireland.net [193.95.141.1]
    4 72 ms 68 ms 68 ms teng0-0-0-0.core001.bmt.btireland.net [193.95.14
    0.4]
    5 65 ms 65 ms 72 ms teng0-0-0-5.core001.cwt.btireland.net [193.95.12
    9.47]
    6 99 ms 99 ms 97 ms ge0-1-0.br001.cwt.btireland.net [193.95.129.55]
    7 70 ms 76 ms 90 ms google-gw.br001.cwt.esat.net [193.120.250.178]
    8 59 ms 66 ms 68 ms 209.85.252.198
    9 64 ms 61 ms 65 ms 209.85.253.125
    10 * * * Request timed out.
    11 38 ms 38 ms 41 ms dn-in-f147.1e100.net [74.125.138.147]
    Trace complete.

Hmm, did a bit of research here. The ADSL username and password is the problem. Sky's T&Cs actually forbid you from using your own router! Screw that. :mad:

I'm here in Westmeath as I was saying befor it was the best Internet Iv ever had and even some parts of the day it comes back and then I falls again what do you guys think it is and will they be able to fix it.

Thanks.

NEWGUY2013 wrote: »
    I'm here in Westmeath as I was saying befor it was the best Internet Iv ever had and even some parts of the day it comes back and then I falls again what do you guys think it is and will they be able to fix it.

Thanks.

Mine is the same.
    I was delighted to be getting 10MB when I switched over from Eircom a few weeks ago but the connection has been up and down since Friday.
    I hope its an exchange problem.

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »
    Hmm, did a bit of research here. The ADSL username and password is the problem. Sky's T&Cs actually forbid you from using your own router! Screw that. :mad:

So you hacked another router to work on the Sky network?
    How do you know the username\password is the issue?

Advertisement