Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

13" Retina MBP, iMac & Mac Mini Refresh To Be Announced At October 23rd Event?

Options
  • 16-10-2012 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭

Apple have just sent out invites for a press event next Tuesday (October 23rd).
    apple-ipad-mini-launch-announced-official.jpeg

It's most likely to focus on the much rumoured iPad Mini, but according to 9To5Mac, a 13" version of the Retina Macbook Pro, a redesigned iMac and updated Mac Mini will also be announced. The iMac should be a lot thinner than the previous generation but keep to the same look as before. Be interesting to see whats being announced next week, but 9To5Mac are pretty solid when it comes to rumours. They almost always get it right.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Was holding out until this to see what price the 13" Retina would be before upgrading.
    I'm guessing the base will be €1699, which is still a bit too expensive for my taste

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Looking forward to see the imac and if there is a new mac mini. Although, I hope they rev up the specs on the mini rather than trying to make it smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

I cant stop thinking about the prospect of an iPad mini at the moment to give any thought to the Mac rumours.. I may finally be able to afford some sort of iPad! (well, after I broke the bank on a mac a few years ago!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Is the usual situation with these things that new models are introduced or are the prices of existing products also reduced?
    I ask because I bought a MBPR yesterday, and if the store updates with a lower price...

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

This event is been screened live on Apple TV and from the Apple website.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Is the usual situation with these things that new models are introduced or are the prices of existing products also reduced?
    I ask because I bought a MBPR yesterday, and if the store updates with a lower price...

Only a 13-inch Retina Pro is expected today. Even if Apple refresh the 15-inch as well, the existing model will be replaced with a new one for the same price. It's a bit too soon for them to replace the low-end Pros with Retinas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Only a 13-inch Retina Pro is expected today. Even if Apple refresh the 15-inch as well, the existing model will be replaced with a new one for the same price. It's a bit too soon for them to replace the low-end Pros with Retinas.

Thanks, would have felt like a right plank for not waiting one day :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭Spipov

wtf???? who does apple's conversions????? $1699 was already high, its freakin €1799 in the apple store??????? what have they been smoking???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

mehh, only comes with 8Gb. Thought I could pick up a nice portable dev machine with high resolution, will be giving it a miss for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

The new iMac is a sexy looking machine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Spipov wrote: »
    wtf???? who does apple's conversions????? $1699 was already high, its freakin €1799 in the apple store??????? what have they been smoking???

It's called tax and it's not included in the US price.

Irish VAT is 23 percent. So out of €1800, €414 is going to Revenue, leaving Apple with €1386.

Current conversion:

$1699 = €1310.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭Spipov

Irish VAT is 23 percent. So out of €1800, €414 is going to Revenue, leaving Apple with €1386.

Current conversion:

$1699 = €1310.

that is so annoying. anyway. *snigger* - how long does it get delivered once ordered and its said to be in stock? :D

^^^
    Fake link!

Reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jose-fahartose

so no cd drive on the new iMac?? seems pretty crazy not to have one...

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

I dunno really, my mbp has cd drive....prob used 3 times at most in the last 2 years. I could definitely live without it if I had to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Wonder how the integrated graphics will cope with a Retina screen.

I've heard the NVidia card in the 15" just about copes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I am going to be in the US and thinking of picking up one of these babies, is there anything I need to be aware of before hand? Keyboard layout, power adapter etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

jank wrote: »
    I am going to be in the US and thinking of picking up one of these babies, is there anything I need to be aware of before hand? Keyboard layout, power adapter etc ?

The keyboard layout is ever so slightly different, but it's hardly noticeable. The power adapter is easy to fix....I just swapped out the piece that plugs into the wall with an old iPod one. It just slides out so you can insert plugs for any country. I'm sure you can just buy the right attachment piece if you don't already have one lying around. I'd imagine the main thing to be aware of is customs! Plus you will probably only be able to buy the base model if you walk into an apple store....keep in mind you won't be able to upgrade RAM later.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Current conversion:

$1699 = €1310.

Your calculating the VAT wrong. VAT isn't 23% of the end purchase price, it's actually about 18.7% of the end purchase price. So Revenue get about €336.

• Advertisement

avalon68 wrote: »
    The keyboard layout is ever so slightly different, but it's hardly noticeable. The power adapter is easy to fix....I just swapped out the piece that plugs into the wall with an old iPod one. It just slides out so you can insert plugs for any country. I'm sure you can just buy the right attachment piece if you don't already have one lying around. I'd imagine the main thing to be aware of is customs! Plus you will probably only be able to buy the base model if you walk into an apple store....keep in mind you won't be able to upgrade RAM later.

Customs should not be an issue as I am an Australian tax resident.
    About the RAM upgrade, could I not just buy the RAM myself and upgrade it that way, or do you have to do it the apple way?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Customs should not be an issue as I am an Australian tax resident.
    About the RAM upgrade, could I not just buy the RAM myself and upgrade it that way, or do you have to do it the apple way?

Can't do the RAM yourself on the Retina models (or the Airs) as Apple have soldered it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

So Firewire has bitten the bullet then ? When did that happen ?

Anyway went searching for a 27"iMac in the past week and there's none to be found anywhere ! All the stores have been waiting for the new machines which were expected to ship soon. So now I have to wait till December !? Hmmm

Ken

If you're going to be near a state border it might be worthwhile doing some research on Sales Tax - it varies from state to state. For example, the difference between buying it in Seattle and Portland would be worth the petrol/ bus price.

fjon wrote: »
    If you're going to be near a state border it might be worthwhile doing some research on Sales Tax - it varies from state to state. For example, the difference between buying it in Seattle and Portland would be worth the petrol/ bus price.

And I believe Delaware has none at all!

Sinfonia wrote: »
    And I believe Delaware has none at all!

Yep, that's why I mentioned Portland - Oregon doesn't have any either.
    Here are the states without Sales Tax:
    Alabama
    Alaska
    Delaware
    Montana
    New Hampshire
    Oregon

fjon wrote: »
    Yep, that's why I mentioned Portland - Oregon doesn't have any either.
    Ah, didn't know that; that's cool to know, I'll be travelling around the states next year so I'll keep a copy of that list

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

My one broke over a year ago and I've never had cause to use it since. Only problem is the damn thing keeps firing up every so often making a sound like an aircraft taking off and there's no software fix. Looking forward to an upgrade next month.

Can't do the RAM yourself on the Retina models (or the Airs) as Apple have soldered it in.

Could I not get apple in Australia to upgrade it for me? Or do you have to get it upgraded before you buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jose-fahartose

jakdublin wrote: »
    My one broke over a year ago and I've never had cause to use it since. Only problem is the damn thing keeps firing up every so often making a sound like an aircraft taking off and there's no software fix. Looking forward to an upgrade next month.

Yes but for anyone who DOES use one it will be a problem! I dont use mine much but I still do for anything music related, install cds, DVD Roms etc..

Been waiting on this iMac release awhile now and this has put me right off!

Advertisement