Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ada Lovelace Day

Options
  • 16-10-2012 10:21am
    Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭

16 October is Ada Lovelace Day - celebrating women in science, technology, engineering and maths.

So... for the day that's in it:

Do you work in a STEM field, and if so, what do you do?

Seen any cool stuff by female scientists lately that should be here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

This doesn't answer your question but I used 'The Lady Lovelace Objection' as a theory in my philosophy thesis for my undergrad. She was really really cool!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I worked in IT until December.

Here are a few interesting women -
    http://www.engineergirl.org/?id=11783

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I work as an actuary and am about halfway through the professional exams.

If people don't already know, the actuarial field is based on maths, stats and computing (or at least my experience of it is!). A mathemagician basically...!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Pythia wrote: »
    I work as an actuary and am about halfway through the professional exams.

If people don't already know, the actuarial field is based on maths, stats and computing (or at least my experience of it is!). A mathemagician basically...!
    *bows* "We're not worthy"... I run out of maths ability when I run out of fingers, though it does mean I can work a duodecimal system... ;):D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I have my Masters in IT. I work for an IT company working on process and protocol improvements. I sort of sit between the business and IT teams like a balancing act :)

I think Jocelyn Bell Burnell is really interesting; she also is an example of how women have been overlooked in science :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I work in IT :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I'm in genetics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Although I don't work in any of those type of fields, I really admire the women who do :) Never heard of this day before but Happy Ada Lovelace Day everyone :D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Should probably answer my own question. Software developer in a scientific field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Technically not a working scientist as such but school science technician and the only female in the science department..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I work in IT but I have a science masters.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Work in IT, have a genetic's degree, Food Science Masters, IT Grad Dip and Grad Dip in Electronic Systems...would have loved to finish and get the Masters in Electronic Systems but my late mother got ill and I had to just take the Grad Dip :( Some day...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Something happened today in work that reminded me of this thread.

A lot of people would agree that it can sometimes take time to see the results of any work that you do in the STEM field, including IT.

I did a small piece of work last year on a particular area for a client, and whilst it came to nothing, it's progressing now, and giving me the opportunity to provide input and make a difference in how the future of the organisation works.

It's a small thing, but for my company, the fact I was familiar with the client, understood all of the issues and everything else, meant I was the logical choice for the role. For me, it's an opportunity to use my skills and experience to help an organisation completely transform how they and their customers deliver and experience services.

Also made me think on how working in the STEM area can lead you to looking back in the longer term on how what you do can impact and influence the greater world if that makes sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Another scientist here too:D

If only I could get a job in it!:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'm in IT, I have a degree in it and a postgrad in Systems Analysis.

Should have said, I'm one of the much maligned consultants :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭Hope O_o

I was fortunate to receive an undergraduate scholarship from a "Women In Engineering" grant because of math and physics placement tests. It allowed me to study Architecture. I interned as a building draftsman for a year.

Advertisement