Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will we begin removing unacceptable books/movies from the past?

Options
  • 15-10-2012 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Here's what we need to get rid of;

Movies

Any movies made during the 20th century where actors perform in black-face, or any other stereotypical costuming/make-up designed to make light of the plight of minorities.

See: Al Jolson - any movie made starring this man must be wiped off of the face of the planet so future generations can't be influenced by his reprehensible black-face roles. Since, you know, kids today love watching movies from the 1920's and 1930's - Al Jolson and Eddie Cantor, that's all I ever hear the kids around here talking about. Jolson's 1927 movie The Jazz Singer (the first ever sound movie) will be the first to go. Some may argue that these movies are important historical artifacts, and to edit or destroy them would be a Stalin-esque revision of history, but what I say to you is this; what's history if it hurts modern people's feelings?

Other blackface roles which must be destroyed; Fred Astaire in Swing Time, Garland & Rooney in Babes on Broadway (speaking of Mickey Rooney, he also appeared in yellowface make-up as Mr. Yunioshi in Breakfast at Tiffany's - Rooney is still alive, in his 90's now, but I still believe a public apology should be sought. Have a noble gentleman like Piers Morgan interview him on his show and let Rooney explain his actions. Really press him for answers. It wasn't deemed offensive in those days you say, it was a different time back then? Well that's too bad, people are offended now!), Joan Crawford in Torch Song, Bing Crosby in Holiday Inn, Dorothy Dandridge in Carmen Jones, the majority of Shirley Temple movies have to go. Peter Lorre's movies where he stars as the Asian 'Mr. Moto' should also be tossed in the woodchipper (Lorre's bulging eyes creep me out, it wouldn't be any harm to get rid of his movies even if he hadn't played the offensive Mr. Moto role).

See also: John Wayne. A notorious bigot in person, which should be good enough reason to remove his movies from television and dvd circulation, don't you think? Jimmy Savile's TOTP's episodes aren't being shown on television anymore due to the accusations that he molested teenage girls, Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle movies were rarely screened during his lifetime after he was accused of rape and murder, the same fate should befall Mr. Wayne for his inexcusable bigotry. Of course there's been other bigots who've made movies over the years, I don't have time to list them all, but these people should be wheedled out and their movies banned, banned, BANNED!

Literature

Where does one begin? Literature should be easier to regulate than movies, as in most cases only certain words or sections may need to be re-written to make them acceptable for modern readers. This is our duty, since, you know, kids today love reading literature from the 19th and early 20th centuries - Mark Twain and William Faulkner, that's all I ever hear the kids around here talking about.

It's rather idealistic of me to claim that in most cases only certain words or sections of dangerous books may need to be re-written (what can I say, I'm an eternal optimist), because of course some books will need to be removed entirely from circulation and destroyed. Children's books for instance have a lot to answer for. Sweden has the right idea by shelving the Tin-Tin books (people decades ago thought that existential works by the likes of Nietzsche and Sartre were the menace to society? They were dead wrong, Tin-Tin was the real corrupter of youth), but this isn't enough. We'll start with children's books and work our way up - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Three Golliwogs, Doctor Doolittle, these books need to join Tin-Tin on the scrap heap. Once we begin editing and erasing bigoted works of children's literature, we can then focus our attention on adult's literature (H.P. Lovecraft, Huckleberry Finn, etc). Given the time and effort, all books of this type can be rounded up and either edited or burned, people inhabiting the Earth fifty years from now will have no idea that these types of works ever existed. That's the goal. Hopefully these books can be forgotten about in less than fifty years, it may seem far-fetched, but I'm an optimist (eternally).

Music

Would you believe that discriminative, derogative early 20th century songs mocking minorities as sung by white vocalists are still widely available to be listened to on the internet? Therefore any able-bodied child with an internet connection has decades worth of songs by Ada Jones, Sophie Tucker, Henry Burr and others at his/her fingertips. Only last week a young scamp ran past me on the street whilst whistling the tune to one of Billy Murray's bigoted numbers. These sorts of songs should not still be available for people to listen to in our polite society of 2012. I'll not allow any leniency like I did with film and literature, these songs should outright not exist. After these songs are banned, we'll focus our attention on country music, because, you know. Southern caucasian males singing songs aimed at southern caucasian people? Something suspicious about that.

The only way we can progress as a people is to remove any and all threats from the past.

So, who's with me? Once we remove the threats as outlined above, we can begin sorting out our History books. People inhabitating the Earth half a century from now will have no idea that racial division ever existed. That's the goal. I'd like to see it erased from memory in less than fifty years, it may seem far-fetched, but I'm an optimist (infernally).

The past should have no presence in our present. To advocate in favour of the works listed above is to advocate continued hatred and prejudice. New literature can be written, new movies can be made, that is - movies and literature which don't offend anybody. While we still allow offensive works from the past to seep into our present - we'll remain stagnant and rooted to the spot. Growth will be impossible. The past should have no relevance today, so censorship is key. Education is key.

Move with us or get left behind.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Ban Papa Lazarou? I don't think so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Yeah, let's ban the past. Great idea OP. Jules Verne was a knob, Beethoven ate live babies and Guttenburg had spots.

BAN THEM ALL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

All very 1985 or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

What about Zwarte Piet?

I like him :(

Banning stuff is stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Boombastic wrote: »
    Banning stuff is stupid

(Slowly looks a poll button above) Yes. *cough*. I agree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Ban none of them. You are as bad as the Taliban wanting to erase history. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

juan.kerr wrote: »
    All very 1985 or something.
    More like Fahrenheit 451. Now there's one for the list OP. A novel about burning novels, how novel it would be burn all the copies of that novel in existence. It would be a novelty, in fact.

Where To wrote: »
    More like Fahrenheit 451.

Sounds hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

What a stupid idea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

People who dwell in the past may be blind in one eye, but people who refuse to see the past are blind in both eyes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

World War II seems to be deemed offensive to most of the cultures involved. Should we forget that happened too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

I always loved Shirley Temple's movies, although I haven't seen one since about 1972 so can't remember enough to be shocked or offended. Should I be?

The past is... well the past.. things happened, we moved forward.

Condoms were illegal in Ireland in the past.

Contraception pills were illegal in Ireland in the past.

Homosexuality was wrong (not sure if illegal) in the past.

Mental illness sufferers were often locked in rooms to save the family from the shame.

We have moved on and learnt from our past...

You can't just delete it or ban it.

That's just silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jan Hus

I might venture to suggest that anything popular be added to the kindle.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

*insert something relating to Hitler and the Nazis here*

/Godwin

*insert something relating to Hitler and the Nazis here*

Indeed, lest we forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

All gangster rap must be banned immediately, it's all n*gger this and n*gger that! They can't seem to pop a cap without it being in some poor n*ggers ass.

All gangster rap must be banned immediately

i agree.

They could launch this ban in south dublin, it could be known as the tallaght ban :D

They should launch this ban in south dublin, it could be known as the tallaght ban :D

ba dum tish.

• Advertisement

They should launch this ban in south dublin, it could be known as the tallaght ban :D

That mightn't work though, since the south dubliners would probably want to ban the less salubrious parts of south dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony

but you wont get there by banning things

• Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Here's what we need to get rid of;

Eh.... who's "we"?
    To advocate in favour of the works listed above is to advocate continued hatred and prejudice.

Ha!

Education is key.

What you are suggesting is not education.

I'm guessing you won't be back though.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

What's scary is that it's not unimaginable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

One of the dumbest posts I've seen on boards. Deleting history is stupid for one. But since the advent of the history is now impossible too thank fcuk!

If modern people feel hurt about films from the 1920's those modern people need to grow the **** up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Really?

It's a sad day when we start imitating the Nazis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

Apart from the fact that this is quite possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard, serious or not, it wouldn't work. The more stuff you ban, the more it would circulate in the black market. Anybody who cared to own a copy of anything banned would simply own a copy.

If anything, you'd make the situation worse. I know you're determined to stamp out history, OP, so you probably aren't aware of this... but the past has shown time and again that if you tell someone they can't have something, they'll just want it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

it seems that deleting history is not going down too well OP

perhaps a change of plan might be in order?

lets delete the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Any movies made during the 20th century where actors perform in black-face

http://bunburyinthestacks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Darth-Vader-Nooooo.jpg

• Advertisement

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    ......................... it would circulate in the black market. .....................

I'm not sure if that's racist or not, I'll have to check the book. I'll get back to you to let you know if I'm supposed to be offended or not:D

Advertisement