Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuel Station in Portlaoise selling Laundered fuel

Options
  • 15-10-2012 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

Im putting this up to let other people be wary of where they buy their Diesel. I went to a specific Garage last week on Mountmellick Rd put 50 litres into my Car which i have 2years never had a problem before this.

So basically driving 10 mins after filling up my Air Pollution warning light comes on the turbo is not kicking in very little power black smoke coming from exhaust
    Anyone else have similar problem ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

It's a well known rumour around town about that particular station.
    A mechanic friend of mine said they are so competitive on price for a reason and should be avoided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

So that's where my turbo went.

How does one go about bringing the tdi back to its old self?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

You probably will have to bring it to main dealer working with the turbo is a tricky job & expensive to fix id say,
    Does anyone know which department i should contact if 1 suspects a garage is selling Dyed Green diesel (Which has fcuk*d up my Engine :mad:
    i checked out Customs & their is only a hotline number for drug smuggling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Revenue..........

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

SIX PACK wrote: »
    You probably will have to bring it to main dealer working with the turbo is a tricky job & expensive to fix id say,
    Does anyone know which department i should contact if 1 suspects a garage is selling Dyed Green diesel (Which has fcuk*d up my Engine :mad:
    i checked out Customs & their is only a hotline number for drug smuggling
    if you think that the fuel you purchased is not regular diesel you should report your suspicions to the Investigations and Prosecutions branch of Revenue Customs and Excise at (0)1 8277 500.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Siphon some of your diesel and check the colour. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

You can't tell if it's agri diesel that has had the dye removed just by looking at it.

Just by a little Googling it seems to be becoming a fairly major problem, :mad: here is a sample http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0831/20k-litres-of-laundered-fuel-seized-at-dublin-port.html (wonder how much is really out there)!!??
    I did ring up customs yesterday & they took down my details & said they will look into it.
    In future i will only be buying from The major players

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Green diesel is not actually green, regular diesel is often green. Customs will do a test and mix it and the reaction when mixed determans if its agri diesel or not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

aaakev wrote: »
    Green diesel is not actually green, regular diesel is often green. Customs will do a test and mix it and the reaction when mixed determans if its agri diesel or not

That's partly true. I have personally collected drums of green dye and run it through thousands of litres of autodiesel under Customs supervision. YES, green dye IS run through A/D to make it agri diesel. Having said that, customs test it via test tubes and test papers. Not by colour.

• Advertisement

Just by a little Googling it seems to be becoming a fairly major problem, :mad: here is a sample http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0831/20k-litres-of-laundered-fuel-seized-at-dublin-port.html (wonder how much is really out there)!!??
    I did ring up customs yesterday & they took down my details & said they will look into it.
    In future i will only be buying from The major players

Its not just a diesel phenomenon either. There's as much dodgy petrol out there too for the unwary. Methanol and ethanol are often added to petrol for profit purposes. Not good...

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭mamakitten

Im putting this up to let other people be wary of where they buy their Diesel. I went to a specific Garage last week on Mountmellick Rd put 50 litres into my Car which i have 2years never had a problem before this.

So basically driving 10 mins after filling up my Air Pollution warning light comes on the turbo is not kicking in very little power black smoke coming from exhaust

What garage? Giz a hint, I dont want to get caught myself like you did!

mamakitten wrote: »
    What garage? Giz a hint, I dont want to get caught myself like you did!

Its NOT the 2nd one

If you want a ruined engine its - The one nearest <modsnip> :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

My turbo carked it after two fills from a station in Portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Phoenix wrote: »
    Guys whatever ye do don't name the alleged station on thread

No need, the clues tell all !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

It's not just in Portlaoise you need to be carefull or with the big brands either.

I'm not going to post anything here to bring litigation upon me, but watch out for the so called trusted big brand filling stations too, around Laois.

One of them cost me €1500 in repairs to one of my vehicles.

I'd love to name and shame and save someone a big bill, but I cant.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    It's not just in Portlaoise you need to be carefull or with the big brands either.

I'm not going to post anything here to bring litigation upon me, but watch out for the so called trusted big brand filling stations too, around Laois.

One of them cost me €1500 in repairs to one of my vehicles.

I'd love to name and shame and save someone a big bill, but I cant.

Are they <modsnip> ???

Are they <modsnip> ???

I'll not confirm or deny <modsnip> but they are not <modsnip> anyways ;) .....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

[MOD]

In light of recent events (see THIS THREAD), it's probably best to not even give hints, especially very broad ones that practically amount to a giant flashing arrow on a map, as to the identity of any filling station allegedly engaged in illegal activities.

IF this stuff is ever reported by a reputable source, it MAY be possible to publicly state names and locations, but in the meantime, please quit it with the nudge-nudge-wink-wink stuff!

Some snippage has occurred in some posts above.

[/MOD]

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok rovi........no bothers.

Sorry Mods for re-starting an old thread. But its definitely a public interest issue.

According to the press today, the government plan to name and shame those caught selling laundered diesel and stretched petrol. Can't find the Daily Mail link yet.

I'd be a bit cynical over why it took them so long. It looks as much a stick to beat Sinn Fein with as a response to public outcry, as swift it most certainly has not been. Still, its the kind of moves that are needed. But you do have to ask how its been allowed to happen for years under the nose of Customs and Gardai, when many many specific complaints were made. Maybe the Taoiseach was feeling the heat in the Northwest.

And obviously the legislation involved is a lot more complicated than the banking legislation that was rushed through....... :rolleyes:

http://connachttribune.ie/no-prosecutions-yet-over-petrol-stretching-in-galway-303/

http://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/how-scandal-of-petrol-stretching-has-ruined-at-least-2000-engines-30999998.html

Here's hoping this starts a real wind-down of this assault on ordinary people and that we see jailtime for the scum involved. If the government had the brains to press on with simple wins like this, they would never be voted out. It makes you wonder where their heads do be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

I can't understand why people use this place. Every day I see 2014s and 2015s filling up there, surely they know that this place couldn't compete with the likes of the topazs and applegreens?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

I often wondered about that place, only ever filled up there once (a number of years ago) before the increased public awareness of fuel laundering outside of the border counties. It amazes me that a station like this, which is pricing its fuel significantly cheaper than ANY other place in the town or county, could evade the attentions of the authorities for so long. Of course this is purely speculation on my behalf until the case is proven but if it walks like a duck etc. It's a disgrace that the citizens of the state aren't protected from the criminal activities of stations that sell laundered or adulterated fuel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

I see the Customs and Excise paid this place a visit on Friday evening and it was closed yesterday. Looks like the law finally caught up with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

IF, and I repeat, IF, you intentionally went to that garage to buy diesel because the price was a good bit lower than the competitors, then it's partly your own fault. Margins in fuel prices are very tight and the warning is, "if the price seems too good to be true then it generally is too good to be true".

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Sorry Mods for re-starting an old thread. But its definitely a public interest issue.

According to the press today, the government plan to name and shame those caught selling laundered diesel and stretched petrol. Can't find the Daily Mail link yet.

I'd be a bit cynical over why it took them so long...............

They plan to name and shame, well big deal.

Why in hell do customs not test the fuel and if its laundered-close these places down immediately and the Gardai prosecute the owners? It seems ok to let the already overstretched motorist suffer engine failure, let revenue miss out on VAT etc, rather than the state take decisive action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

Drove by this place today and they're back in business, although I forgot to take note of their prices for comparison....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    IF, and I repeat, IF, you intentionally went to that garage to buy diesel because the price was a good bit lower than the competitors, then it's partly your own fault. Margins in fuel prices are very tight and the warning is, "if the price seems too good to be true then it generally is too good to be true".
    So it's the consumer's fault if the business is illegally screwing them over? Oh please, look at how silly that sounds. I don't know why you would defend behaviour like that.

Advertisement