Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short Story Competition 10 (Zappa) - Vote HERE!

Options
2»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Story 9
    Foiled again.

Congrats number nine, whoever you are!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Story 7
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

Story 7
    Hi all,
    I just had to log in to see the results.
    Congrats to the writer of Story 9.

Mine was Story 5 "spiders of destiny"
    Yes you are right, the ending was snapped on.
    I agreed to write the story whenever that was;two hours before the deadline I remembered I hadn`t submitted anything.
    I had a rough sketch done on Word, and what you read was the first draft of a sketch.
    Naturally, I`m delighted I got any votes at all.

Well done to all.
    Brian

P.S. One reason why painters are switching to acrylic paints is that oil paint is not oil paint anymore. When Oil paint smelled it would last for 400-500 years on canvas. Today you`ll get about 100 years from oil paint, and it will eat into the canvas. Some major work by Picasso was destroyed by the paint itself. Acrylic is cheaper, friendlier, and will give about 100 years without and degrading the canvas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Story 8
    Anyone else try to guess who wrote the stories while they read them?
    I think Arlecchina wrote #2

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Story 10
    --Kaiser-- wrote: »

I thought that was Rubeleca.

I think hcass was 10 and Weebly 4.

Congrats bluewolf, richly deserved.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Story 7
    Congrats Blauwolf!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Arlecchina

Story 10

Hee! Because I wrote about WWII last time? Alas, none of them are mine — I actually flunked from submitting a story thanks to a heap of last-minute work. I have a sneaky idea about the identities behind a few of them, but I'm keeping schtum until they fess up. ;)

Was the winning story yours, bluewolf? It was great!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Story 7
    Yes I'm #9, thank you :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Story 10
    bluewolf wrote: »
    Yes I'm #9, thank you :o:o
    Congrats bluewolf, I voted for you (and number 7).

Mine was number 1. For some reason this was the most fun I had writing a VOAT story. Great mix of stories to read too.

Story 7
    Oryx wrote: »
    Foiled again.

How many silvers is that now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Leafonthewind

Story 9
    Congratulations, Bluewolf!

Mine was number 7. I agree that some of the rhymes weren't perfect, but to my Canadian ear, they sounded close enough. :o And no, Canadians don't say aboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

Story 10
    Congratulations, bluewolf . . well done! . . . are you going to re-write and post it?
    Congratulations, Bluewolf! . . . And no, Canadians don't say aboot.

And gidday, Leafonthewind . . . er, what's it all aboot, leafie?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Story 9

How many silvers is that now?
    Too many. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride. :)

Story 8
    Congratulations, Bluewolf!

Mine was number 7. I agree that some of the rhymes weren't perfect, but to my Canadian ear, they sounded close enough. :o And no, Canadians don't say aboot.

Pffft, next you'll tell me that the top half of your head is attached to the bottom half!

Well done with your story, did it take long?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Story 10
    Congratulations Bluewolf. Well deserved I think. :)

And yes Das Kitty, I did write number 2 (Them or Us) I am quite pleased with it although I must admit it took me ages to write it. Did you realise I spent an entire half an hour on that? :D

Anyway it was my very first competition and the experience was fantastic. To those who actually voted for the story I am very thankful. (wish I had a word count app)

overall it was a great experience and I will certainly look forward to the next one. Although looking at how good the other entries were I started to feel a little inadequate by my effort. So onwards and upwards, when is the next one? :pac:

EDIT: PS, I don't find it easy to 'work' on a story, I just write it straight off in the boards.ie. I wrote this one in the PM to Pickarooney and simply sent it off. The half an hour is accurate enough, maybe a little less.

Story 8
    Rubecula wrote: »
    Congratulations Bluewolf. Well deserved I think. :)

And yes Das Kitty, I did write number 2 (Them or Us) I am quite pleased with it although I must admit it took me ages to write it. Did you realise I spent an entire half an hour on that? :D

Anyway it was my very first competition and the experience was fantastic. To those who actually voted for the story I am very thankful. (wish I had a word count app)

overall it was a great experience and I will certainly look forward to the next one. Although looking at how good the other entries were I started to feel a little inadequate by my effort. So onwards and upwards, when is the next one? :pac:

EDIT: PS, I don't find it easy to 'work' on a story, I just write it straight off in the boards.ie. I wrote this one in the PM to Pickarooney and simply sent it off. The half an hour is accurate enough, maybe a little less.

For half an hour that was very good. I'd spend more than half an hour deciding what to write about. Oh, and
    http://www.wordcounttool.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Story 10
    Thank you Kaiser that will certainly come into use next time. And I will do my very best to take a bit longer on my writing. We will see if it improves it or not.
    (Want to keep some of the spontaneity though)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Leafonthewind

Story 9

And gidday, Leafonthewind . . . er, what's it all aboot, leafie?

Careful, Weebley. I know where you work. ;)

Are you going to reveal which story was yours? Or are we meant to keep guessing it was number 4?
    Pffft, next you'll tell me that the top half of your head is attached to the bottom half!

Well done with your story, did it take long?

Thanks! When I first saw the prompt my mind went straight for the gutter and I was planning on waiting out the 48 hours and asking for a new one. But then I latched onto the Tom Thumb idea and the story took on a life of its own. It only took me a few hours after that, with the research and working out the rhythm, and that's incredibly fast for me. I'm usually a slowpoke.

Story 7
    Thanks! When I first saw the prompt my mind went straight for the gutter.

Pity. We don't get enough stories about bowling.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

Story 10
    Careful, Weebley. I know where you work. ;)
    That's not me, that's Steve . . . I'm just a little shoemaker that helps him out . . . a leprechaun with a magic flute (aka a scaffold connector.)
    Are you going to reveal which story was yours? Or are we meant to keep guessing it was number 4? . . .

I'd rather not be a Legolas about it, but you and Das Kitty are spot on. How was I supposed to know that the stories weren't going to be based on Frank Zappa? I got punk'd.

• Advertisement
Advertisement