Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ard scoil ris

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

I’d have to agree with all the posters who said that it is a very academic school. (in my day anyway) And in saying that if you want to get on well you will have to be an academic performer, not just average. Sports are/were encouraged as it helps produce a more rounded individual, and sur, it wears them out. :)

If, when the time comes, my son is highly academically focused then I will be more than happy to send him to Ardscoil. If he’s not then he won’t be going there. We’ll find the right school to suit him. But like I said, if he is academically focused, he will be going there. He will be in the ideal environment to get high points in the leaving cert. Start at 9, classes till the usual finish time(ish), a small break, then supervised study till 9. It teaches them respect, hard work and above all, getting results.

I’d also have to agree with the bit about losing out on the whole mixed school thing, but, that doesn't take too long to balance out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

What about a school pushing the arts as well as sports? Why does a school feel that sports makes a more rounded individual? I'm not saying it doesn't but the secondary school I was in was known as a "hurling school" and a "rugby school". Most in there didn't give 2 ****es if you excelled at art or guitar or piano. But if you were on the provincial schools rugby team, you were seen as some kind of special child......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

L.T.P. wrote: »
    One Desmond Harty by any chance? Legend :D

"Basically speaking" i can't comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

the school also has a great choir and band there and runs a musical every second year for TY students where everyone has to sing and perform. kids you'd never have expected to perform on stage do really well out of it. Art, music, and technical graphics/DCG is also taken up by loads of students. I believe they have woodwork rooms there now with the new extension. other sports are accommodated but time constraints means that they can't train basketball, soccer, etc. time, facilities and coaches just don't exist for them all I'd say. There are loads of opportunities for the lads to take part in extra stuff too which benefit both the school and producing the rounded individual. Remember, there's no perfect school - just what you or your kids make of it. We're very happy with ASR for ours lads anyway - they would't be highly accademic but they try hard, push themselves that bit and seem to be turning out good rounded individuals as a result.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

other sports are accommodated but time constraints means that they can't train basketball, soccer, etc. time, facilities and coaches just don't exist for them all I'd say.

That's a shame. A few of the lads in my year won 3 national basketball titles back around '05/06. They were trained by the Limerick team's coach at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

As Mickey was known to say "The Finest School in Ireland" - And I don't think he was far wrong either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Best school in Ireland.

Also, we won Blackboard Jungle, na na na na hey!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 neverwasser

"Basically speaking" i can't comment.

Arrgh Arrgh Arrgh, Quagmire.

Advertisement