Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arctic White HTPC (LOG)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭superneat

It won't be ugliness when all my cabling will be white, that's the part you want to see, along with the white RAM and CPU cooler.

Doing the other side is messy unless you are watercooling. With an air cooled GPU, if you put a window there, the graphics card has nowhere to pull cold air in from, unless you put perforations in the glass/plexi. Not an easy option.

As for the SSD bays, I won't be using them, there are places all over the case to mount them, in the drive bay, on all sides of the PSU, the roof, the floor or in the OD bay.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Im planning on mounting mine on the door, then tearing out the ODD, flipping the flexcage up and mounting it in its place and hopefully mounting my HDD there, to improve airflow. Wondering if it would be a good idea to remove the ODD bay cover for extra ventilation and let the meshed cover keep out the dust...

Haha, I just tried that and it doesnt actually work, if you were wondering ;P Sucks that they put the fan so low instead if in the centre; they should have made it mountable in the centre at least!

Andy!! wrote: »
    Haha, I just tried that and it doesnt actually work, if you were wondering ;P Sucks that they put the fan so low instead if in the centre; they should have made it mountable in the centre at least!

Which fan is that? The 120mm front intake? With all the holes in the front you can mount the fan in any position, doesn't need to be screwed in the intended holes, I have my 230mm fan dead center but I could lower or raise it by an inch or so using different holes in the front.

Yeah I ended up raising the front fan. Do HDDs or SSDs get hot at all?

• Advertisement

Andy!! wrote: »
    Yeah I ended up raising the front fan. Do HDDs or SSDs get hot at all?

HDD's can get hot if they are constantly in use, the green, low power drives would be cooler than the faster 7,200rpm or higher spinners.

SSD's produce very little heat at all, and if windows is installed on one, it will be doing most of the reads and writes, so then I wouldn't worry about airflow to either drive.

My order from specialtech arrived this morning, not bad, 5 working days with the cheapest shipping option.

DSCN0739.JPG

Few small bits

DSCN0742.JPG

DSCN0743.JPG

DSCN0744.JPG

Sleeving

DSCN0745.JPG

DSCN0747.JPG

Not the most dense but I'll be covering the black cables with white tape beforehand to stop any color bleeding through.

DSCN0749.JPG

Heatshrink

DSCN0750.JPG

DSCN0751.JPG

I'll see how I get on with this stuff, hopefully I'll have some time today. I will need more to complete all the cables inside, if it looks a bit off I'll go ahead and get the mdpc-x stuff and redo the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Excellent thread Superneat. It's great to see what you've gone through to get to here. Looks like you haven't encountered too many headaches - a bit of forward planning goes a long way I see. I'll look to build my own HTPC at some stage. Completely jealous!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Advertisement