Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Betrayal

Options
  • 09-10-2012 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

What is the worst form of betrayal a friend could do that you would never forgive?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

Breaking trust would do it for me. I find it difficult enough to trust people, so if its broken it most definitely won't be fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Leaving me behind during a zombie apocalypse. Can't return from that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Breaking trust would do it for me. I find it difficult enough to trust people, so if its broken it most definitely won't be fixed.

I too find it difficult to trust people so when I do trust someone and they betray that there is no going back. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭gidget

Yep, breaking trust & being two faced! Being nice to you & bitching about you behind your back to others. Making moves on your boyfriend when your back is turned would be another.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Especially if they shoot you in the leg first to ensure the zombie hordes descend on the easy prey while they stroll off to safety.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

How are you so sure, - has this happened to you often?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭WhimSock

Talk themselves up to be there when the sh1t hits the fan and then do the complete opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Lies. Just be honest. You don't have to lie to friends and if you do, sweet jesus, don't make the hole bigger. Good friends will be there for you if you have the balls to come clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I think that's a hard question to answer. For me, life isn't really that black and white. Maybe it should be, but all I see are a million shades of grey.

Something I would not forgive of one person, I may of another. It's situational, so therefore it's too difficult for me to provide a definitive answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

What is the worst form of betrayal a friend could do that you would never forgive?

Hard one to answer, really.

Like, taking it in its most basic form ... clearly, if a friend fecks off with your fella, the friendship is over. But anyone that I consider a "friend" is not someone who would do that ... my friends, like me, tend to have fairly boring non-Jerry-Springer-esque lifestyles.

I wouldn't appreciate a friend talking about me to someone else, but again, it all depends on the spirit in which it is done. i.e. is it done in a bitchy gossipy way, or out of genuine concern.

Any betrayal such as theft/lies/spreading rumours etc would certainly be very hard for me to forgive. Not impossible ... would very much depend on the circumstances, and how close I was to the person.

I dunno. I'm guess I'm just very lucky to have lots of very lovely amazing friends who would never do any of the above. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Any kind of dishonesty. Be that getting with your boyfriend, lying to you, badmouthing you behind your back but being nice to your face, or stealing.

If you can't expect your friends to have your back, then who will?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

White lies I can accept but big huge lies that can change people's view of that person I cannot forgive!

Bad mouthing me to someone is also a big no! Especially when that person is caught out and try ignore what they have actually done, that for me is a friendship breaker! If they had the decency to be honest and tell the truth I could forgive but spinning more lies does it for me!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

For me it's disloyalty. Can't abide it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I've already had the worst done to me by a group of girls I considered my best friends and it has seriously affected me, my ability to trust anyone and how I form new friendships. That was nearly 5 years ago but it still has a big impact on my relationships.

I hate lies. I can't stand liars. I would rather tell the truth everytime and sacrifice the friendship than lie. It makes me irrationally angry when people lie, I've had too many encounters with liars, lies told about me and to me, that I just can't handle it. Big lies, little lies, I don't care, it's all dishonesty.

I expect friends of mine to be loyal to me and stand up for me even if it means going against the grain for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Someone who claims to be there for you and support you only to judge you and turn their back when you need them most. The fact you used to drop everything to help them when they needed it just makes it worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

iguana wrote: »
    Especially if they shoot you in the leg first to ensure the zombie hordes descend on the easy prey while they stroll off to safety.

OR .... I get bitten and they haven't the balls to shoot me in the head ... that's a deal breaker for me. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

For me disloyalty is a deal breaker. It's a harsh lesson to learn if someone who you hold/held dear doesn't have your back when it matters. Has happened me twice and I've cut them out of my life without by or leave. I'm fiercely loyal to my close friends and expect the same in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

Backstabbing, bitchiness, lying... The list can go on forever.

I think a friend should be unquestionably loyal, and you should be the same back.

It is impossible to find that these days. I had a group of girl friends, but we had a huge falling out a few years ago... Due to lies, backstabbing, and downright bad personalities.

I am only really coming back from it now, as dramatic as it sounds, little things can really knock your confidence..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I'm a very forgiving person (sometimes too forgiving) and thankful have rarely felt truely betrayed but I've stopped friendships in the past before as a result. Once was for a male friend who sexually harrased me. The other was a female friend, my school years best friend, who after a fight spread rumours about me forcing my other friends to stop talking to me. I eventually reconnected with those other girls, never with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

Lies and trust. Been there on both of them recently and Christ it hurt, hurt to the extreme that it destroyed two families.
    But you learn from that, and not everyone is that nasty and malicious to save their own skin for the sake of what? Makes you wonder how low people that you gave years of your life too really are.
    I feel it makes you a stronger person, leave the little people to their own destiny.
    I'm a believer in karma. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭Hope O_o

It's the words friend and never I'm struggling with...
    A friend implies a bond... A bond doesn't imply an action. I can forgive an action or even choose not to associate, but the bond still remains.

I've been the worst kind of friend at times. Doubt there's anything anyone could do to me that I haven't done. I've hurt others and been hurt beyond belief by others actions... Yet I've received an undeserved amount of benevolence in return. So, how can I never forgive a friend for any human frailty? There are extenuating circumstances and any number of reasons people behave badly... Its easier to forgive and forget bad behaviour than abandoning a person. Betrayal works both ways...
    Never forgiving a friend implies holding onto the pain forever - sounds more harmful to me than them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 syjg18

For me it's when a friend of mine started to have an affair with my boyfriend.

Advertisement